• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Scootaloo

Scootaloo

too high for the grocery store

• Members

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:17 PM

Story:

When Hyrule had been seized by Ganondorf Dragmire, the foretold prophecy was hoped to prove true:

"When darkness hopes to win,
One resembles green of fields.
Light will pierce through dark storms,
For Evil's Bane he wields."

But the darkness had already seized and won. And where was the said hero to come and save the day, in his fabled green of lore? The dark storms poured an endless rain and the sun seemed never to shine again. Where was the Blade of Evil's Bane, anyway? No one knew of its location, nor of the hero's. The people- even Princess Zelda herself- were losing hope. Desperate and out of time, she split the Triforce of Wisdom into several shards, and sent her nursemaid to search for the hero.

A hero didn't rise from Hyrule. He wasn't aware of a destined fate to save a land against a malicious tyranny. He wasn't the hero everyone expected. He didn't expect to rise to face the darkness. He kind of just... stumbled in.

But he did it. He traveled through forests, climbed over mountains, slayed the dragons, and with the recollected power of the Triforce of Wisdom, did what no hero before him did- killed the evil king.

Though he had never felt a true bond to this foreign land he found, he did not wish to leave, and headed north, in search of adventure. Monsters still loyal to Ganondorf still roamed the land, and he was sure that his help would be needed wherever he went. In some time, though, he found himself in the northern reaches of Hyrule. He discovered that his quest was not quite over...

A mysterious mark, similar to that of the collected shards of Wisdom, began to shine upon his hand. This mysterious power opened a seal within Hyrule Castle, and the legends of Zelda began to delve deeper:

"Greed will ascend with a new king,
And a wicked servant will cast the curse.
She won't speak a single word against good,
And so will lie her fate- and his- much worse."

"Another Princess Zelda?"

Long ago, the king used the Triforce to rule over Hyrule and keep it in peace. But the king died, and the prince was the next in line to receive it. But the entire force was not inherited- the prince was only given a part of its power. The prince was enraged.

A wizard told the prince that Zelda knew where the other parts were. Whether it was out of loyalty or greed, probably the latter, the wizard began to cast a spell out of anger, for Zelda refused to speak a word about the Triforce. The Prince attempted to dispel the wizard's casting, but it was too late- Zelda fell under an eternal sleep, and the wizard drew his last breath as well. No one could remove the curse, and all the prince could do was pray that she would come back to life. He then declared that every girl born of Hyrulian royalty should be named Zelda, so that this event would never be forgotten.

Impa, Zelda's nursemaid, was shocked at the site of the mark on his hand. She fetched an ancient scroll containing the crest of the same mark upon his hand. No one could seem to read it. But to Link, the words were easy to understand. The scroll read:

“Not everybody can use the Triforce. It requires strong character with no evil thoughts. But an inborn special quality is also necessary. Unfortunately, I have not found such a person during my lifetime.” “Therefore, I have decided to cast a spell on all of Hyrule. A crest will appear on a young man with that character that has been brought up correctly, has gained many kinds of experiences and reached a certain age. But, what will happen if someone else uses the Triforce before then? If it misused, it will produce many evils.”
“The Triforce of Courage is hidden in the Great Palace in the Valley of Death on the largest island in Hyrule. However, to enter there you must first fight the guardians and undo the “binding force.” When you have defeated the guardians, which I made to prevent enemies from invading the six palaces in Hyrule, set a crystal in the forehead of the statue you find. When you have set crystals in all of the statues in the six palaces, the “binding force” placed on the Valley of Death will be removed and you will be able to enter the great palace. There, you must fight the last guardian. And you can obtain the Triforce only by defeating that guardian.” “There’s nothing to fear. You are the one to get the Triforce. You are the beacon of hope for Hyrule.”

Link set out on this new journey, with only the Magical Sword, a shield, and the six crystals spoken of in the scroll. The remnants of Ganondorf's army were out to hunt him down and sprinkle Link's blood upon the ashes of the evil king, in order to revive him. But Link once again proved his worth to the prophecy, and retrieved the Triforce of Courage. Its unknown powers revived the long sleeping Zelda, and it seemed everything was normal once again. With its princess returned, and the hero's arrival, Hyrule was once again on its way to recovering.

A couple of years passed, and much had changed. Link held the role of Captain of the Knights, and the Princess had assumed the role of the queen. In the time of Hyrule's road to recovery, Link had proposed to Zelda, and she had accepted with joy. It would only be a matter of time before the awaited marriage would take place. But deep in the library read a scroll thick with dust:

"Love sets many free and many down,
But there is a destined meeting of three.
If it is the burden for a future crown,
Looking back won't set you free."

Screenshots:

IPB Image
Generic village shot.

IPB Image IPB Image
The area before the first dungeon, an abandoned quarry.

IPB Image IPB Image

IPB Image
I've yet to detail all these shots to their full extent- plus I need abandoned mining equipment/wheelbarrows and such. Also, the only reason he has the hookshot is because I needed to use it to take the shortcut to the quarry. You won't actually have it (or get it) in the first demo.

There! Now I've got your attention! Anyway, I'm sure you're all wondering why I went with the title "Pure Quest 2". A few reasons. 1.) I'm lazy, and 2.) I'm using the Pure Tileset. 3.) Maybe I can live up to Mr. Z's legacy? I took his place in ye ol' Legendary Quests. 4.) The title actually does suit for what I have planned.

Edited by Prospekt, 03 August 2009 - 03:47 AM.

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrator

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:20 PM

The screenshots are really good. The story is good too, though it needs a tiny bit of refining. And I expect the music is great too. icon_razz.gif

#3 Scootaloo

Scootaloo

• Members

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:26 PM

Like I said, the story was kind of on the spot. Once I go back and revise it, it'll be just like my expo entry for Triforce of the Gods. icon_razz.gif

#4 Bayta

Bayta

Herp

• Members

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:52 PM

Lucky for Link, that obviously won't last for long, or this quest would suck.
Gee, it sure is boring around here. icon_awesome.gif

Seriously, it sounds pretty good. I forgot to ask you the other day, while we were talking about this on AIM whether or not you have permission to do it, but it seems you did talk to Mr. Z. It looks like it's coming along pretty nicely! If you need any help, like bugtesting, just let me know. icon_smile.gif

#5 Scootaloo

Scootaloo

• Members

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:48 AM

There, revised first post, and that definitely feels more like me, than some simple 1 minute made up story.

#6 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrator

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:11 PM

Whoa, the story sounds a lot better now. Very cryptic. The poem at the end sounds like something out of a Redwall book. icon_razz.gif

#7 Ricky of Kokiri

Ricky of Kokiri

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:16 PM

Looking good, and I like your ties with the NES Zelda storylines.

One question, though, out of simply curiosity: which Zelda is Link engaged to? The LoZ Zelda, or the awakened AoL Zelda?

#8 Scootaloo

Scootaloo

• Members

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:57 PM

The awakened AoL one, simply because the original Zelda isn't that important. icon_razz.gif

#9 Neptune

Neptune

Grand Overlord Empress

• Forum Moderators

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:24 PM

This is pretty good! I like how it's looking. Very Mr. Z-like. I do have to say, it's difficult to match his style and technique, and I can say that from experience.

#10 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:18 PM

Yea i'm going to have to agree with Angeal.

I am a big fan of Mr. Z's quests and you are matching his style in screens (Which is pretty hard to do). Seems like you have been doing some practice and homework icon_razz.gif

Also make sure to keep us updated at all times too, since i will be expecting and anticipating at least a demo of this. This quest looks and feel like it's going to be very "pure-like". A feeling that i havn't felt in any other quests ever since my favorite quest Link's Birthday DX.

If you need any beta-testers for the demo or anything, i'll be glad to help you out.

Edited by Christian, 13 August 2009 - 10:19 PM.

#11 Scootaloo

Scootaloo

• Members

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:40 AM

Heh, thanks. Actually I've been trying to do Level 1, but it's hard making up gimmicks for a dungeon that needs to utilize the Power Bracelet. icon_unsettled.gif

I suppose I should be working on houses and mini dungeons and such. I'm not so hot for working on the forest nearby, too.

#12 Scootaloo

Scootaloo

• Members

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:23 PM

Okay, so aside from real life, I have been doing some interesting work that will be seen at the expo, most likely (if school and girlfriend don't distract me too much). It's very much a prototype of the quest, simply that. A Stalfos. icon_razz.gif

#13 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrator

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:15 PM

A prototype of a quest? You mean like the entire thing done in the classic set, or something like that?

#14 Scootaloo

Scootaloo

• Members

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:17 PM

Something like that. Imagine trying to use the pure tileset with a different tileset. That's what I'm saying.

#15 Zenith

Zenith

Old Guard

• Members

Posted 17 September 2009 - 06:59 AM

Gimmick? Lick maybe a few "crossroads" rooms where you need to push stuff to go in different directions, and you can't go some ways until you get the Power Bracelet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users