IoD - Dungeon names

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 Bayta

Bayta

Herp

• Members

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:42 PM

Well, I got an idea. Since I don't want everything in Island of Dreams to be the same as in Link's Awakening, I'm changing some of the dungeon names. In fact, I started this a long time ago, when Tail Cave became Coda Cave. The fun thing about Coda Cave though, is that "coda" is Italian for "tail". But whatever. To the list!

1 - Tail Cave - Coda Cave
2 - Bottle Grotto - ???
3 - Key Cavern - ???
4 - Angler's Tunnel - ???
5 - Catfish's Maw - ???
6 - Face Shrine - Wind Shrine
7 - Eagle's Tower - Stone Tower? (they're similar dungeons, after all)
8 - Turtle's Rock - Turtle Rock

The grayed out ones are the ones that are final. Does anyone have any ideas? Should some of them remain the same?

Edited by Beta Link, 05 June 2009 - 01:51 PM.

#2 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:49 PM

Yay! Progress.

I think they should I stay the same. (Unless you're changing the theme of them.)

#3 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:16 PM

Well, I personally thing that Eagle Tower and Turtle Rock should stay the same (since Eagle Tower is actually dominated by an eagle, and Turtle Rock is not only shaped like a turtle, but is a reference to LttP). However, a few of the others do need to be changed. Unfortunately, I have no ideas. I just thought I'd give my two cents on the subject.

#4 Bayta

Bayta

Herp

• Members

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:50 PM

Yeah, I was thinking Turtle Rock should remain the same too. I'm still not sure about Eagle Tower though. I guess it could stay the same if we can't come up with a better name.

#5 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:05 PM

I think they should stay the same.
Remakes are meant for modern remodeling of older games etc due to graphics.
I think this game should be faithful to the original based on names, boss, maps, and location.
But that's just my two cents.

#6 Silver

Silver

If only scripting were that easy...

• Members

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE(Beta Link @ Jun 4 2009, 02:42 PM) View Post
1 - Tail Cave - Coda Cave
2 - Bottle Grotto - Glassware Ditch
3 - Key Cavern - Lock-and-Key Cove
4 - Angler's Tunnel -Fisherman's Wharf
5 - Catfish's Maw - Leviathan Stomach
6 - Face Shrine - Wind Shrine
7 - Eagle's Tower - Stone Tower? (they're similar dungeons, after all) Sky Pillar
8 - Turtle's Rock - Turtle Rock
Suggestions in bold.

#7 Shane

Shane

Average Quest Maker

• Members

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:23 PM

Catfishes Maw -> Ancient Maw

Eagals Tower -> Bird Pillar

Sorry for bad spelling icon_heh.gif

Edited by Midnight_King, 05 June 2009 - 08:25 PM.

#8 Ricky of Kokiri

Ricky of Kokiri

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:26 PM

I like T.Platinum's suggestions, but I think the following modifications would sound better:

2 - Bottle Grotto - Glassware Fissure ("Ditch" doesn't fit with "Glassware" in my opinion.)
3 - Key Cavern - Locksmith Cove ("Lock-and-Key" doesn't have a good ring to it, but "Fisherman's Wharf" suggests using another occupation here. )

#9 Snarwin

Snarwin

Still Lazy After All These Years

• Members

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:09 PM

...not to be an asshole or anything, but this whole idea kind of sounds to me like you're just changing things for the sake of being different, and not necessarily because it'll make your quest any more enjoyable to play.

Personally, I like the original LA dungeon names better than any of the changes proposed so far (and any changes I can think of, which are admittedly few). In particular, the change from "Face Shrine" to "Wind Shrine" makes no sense to me--what on earth did the Face Shrine ever have to do with wind?

Unless you're planning to go back and actually re-imagine the dungeons themselves--which, for all I know, you may have decided to do since the last time I checked--I don't see any reason to give them new names. Names like "Bottle Grotto" and "Catfish's Maw" were part of what gave Link's Awakening the whimsical charm we all love, and it saddens me to see them replaced without any real explanation or reason.

Edit: Perhaps I ought to make a habit of reading timestamps before I make a fool of myself.

Edited by Snarwin, 13 October 2009 - 11:49 PM.

#10 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:01 PM

I agree. If you're making the original game with updated graphics, why are you changing the dungeon's names? Just stick with the originals. It'll save you cash, and a lot of thinking ;-)

#11 Bayta

Bayta

Herp

• Members

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:43 PM

Holy crap gravedig.

Yeah, I decided a while ago to keep the original names. The only one I'm changing is Tail Cave to Coda Cave, because I think it sounds really kick-ass, and it still retains it's original meaning ("coda" being the Italian word for "tail").

By the way, what I was thinking when I changed Face Shrine to Wind Shrine was that in the South Face Shrine, you learn more about the Wind Fish, so that's where I got Wind from... But since then, I've decided I'm keeping the original name anyway.

One more thing, the fairly recent decision to keep the original names is part of my mission to fix everything I ****ed to the extreme when I started this quest. For example. there's not gonna be any Oracle of Dreams, I'm bringing the original trading sequence back and I'm in the process of fixing Mabe Village.

Edited by Beta Link, 08 October 2009 - 11:46 PM.

#12 Ricky of Kokiri

Ricky of Kokiri

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE(Beta Link @ Oct 8 2009, 10:43 PM) View Post

One more thing, the fairly recent decision to keep the original names is part of my mission to fix everything I ****ed to the extreme when I started this quest. For example. there's not gonna be any Oracle of Dreams, I'm bringing the original trading sequence back and I'm in the process of fixing Mabe Village.

I seem to be forgetting something... what did you mess up so badly? I found the betas quite enjoyable.

#13 Bayta

Bayta

Herp

• Members

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE(Ricky of Kokiri @ Oct 9 2009, 12:13 PM) View Post

I seem to be forgetting something... what did you mess up so badly? I found the betas quite enjoyable.
Ever since I started it, I've felt it was missing something. I decided the problem was that it was too different from LA. Some things just didn't really have the same whimsical charm (That was a good way of describing it, Snarwin, thanks).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users