Subscreens 101

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 13 August 2006 - 04:49 PM

As promised, I've written a guide to the basic operations behind building a subscreen

[ THE GUIDE ]

I'm sure it's not complete. Not yet, anyway. If you find something in there that is inaccurate or missing, PM me or reply here, and I'll fix it

Enjoy

#2 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:05 PM

This is great, Gashin! I'm gonna need this when I make a subscreen. Good work!

#3 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 17 August 2006 - 01:35 AM

Nice Gashin, but I gotta say, WORD WRAP is your freind icon_razz.gif

I copied it to Notepad, so it's no biggie.

#4 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 17 August 2006 - 02:12 AM

Yeah, thanks for writing this. I was fiddling with the editor earlier today and this will now work as a handy guide.

#5 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 17 August 2006 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE(Rex Zemenheart @ Aug 16 2006, 11:35 PM)
Nice Gashin, but I gotta say, WORD WRAP is your freind icon_razz.gif

I copied it to Notepad, so it's no biggie.

View Post

I know, I know. I had it word wrapped in notepad, but it didn't do it here. I may make it into a simple HTML file to make it do that

#6 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 17 August 2006 - 03:26 PM

This is *quite* impressive, Gashin. icon_wink.gif Seriously, very well done.

Perhaps soon we should begin crafting a tutorial entirely devoted to Life/Magic Gauge items. icon_razz.gif Those are fun. x X.

#7 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 17 August 2006 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE(ShadowTiger @ Aug 17 2006, 01:26 PM)
This is *quite* impressive, Gashin. icon_wink.gif  Seriously, very well done. 

Perhaps soon we should begin crafting a tutorial entirely devoted to Life/Magic Gauge items. icon_razz.gif  Those are fun. x X.

View Post

As soon as I figue out how to work them, I will

#8 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 17 August 2006 - 04:43 PM

I have a question:

How do you delete subscreens from the list? And how do you set the subscreens so it is the one used when you select "Custom"? The set keeps using "Active Subscreen (Triforce)".

EDIT: Eh, I figured it out. I exported it, than imported it over the one mentioned above.

Now, I have another question. The active subscreen has the screen I'm on as a background. How would one fix this, and put a solid color background in?

Edited by Rex Zemenheart, 17 August 2006 - 04:50 PM.

#9 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

The Legendary Sephiroth

• Members

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE(Rex Zemenheart @ Aug 17 2006, 04:43 PM)
I have a question:

How do you delete subscreens from the list? And how do you set the subscreens so it is the one used when you select "Custom"? The set keeps using "Active Subscreen (Triforce)".

EDIT: Eh, I figured it out. I exported it, than imported it over the one mentioned above.

Now, I have another question. The active subscreen has the screen I'm on as a background. How would one fix this, and put a solid color background in?

View Post

You'd add a "rectangle" to your subscreen at item 0 or 1, and make it cover the entire subscreen. icon_wink.gif

#10 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:27 PM

Uh.. Right. Suppose one has already put everything else down, and can't put things on 0 or 1 because they're up to 42 icon_heh.gif

Could I make a new one, put down a rectangle, and export over it, and not overwrite the background?

#11 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 18 August 2006 - 03:33 AM

QUOTE(Rex Zemenheart @ Aug 17 2006, 03:27 PM)
Uh.. Right. Suppose one has already put everything else down, and can't put things on 0 or 1 because they're up to 42 icon_heh.gif

Could I make a new one, put down a rectangle, and export over it, and not overwrite the background?

View Post

You can force objects/elements into the background by pressing the top, down arrow button. Ctrl+Page Down also works, and much quicker

#12 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 18 August 2006 - 03:53 AM

Thank you. I knew there had to be a way to underlay things. I could have sworn I read that too >.>

#13 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 24 August 2006 - 01:13 PM

Updated the guide with a trick from shadowfall1976. It shows how to copy a subscreen

And if anyone can tell me how to get that stupid thing to word wrap, I will send you a great big invisible box of air, and add you to the credits

#14 Freedom

Freedom

Warrior

• Members

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE(Gashin @ Aug 24 2006, 11:13 AM)
Updated the guide with a trick from shadowfall1976. It shows how to copy a subscreen

And if anyone can tell me how to get that stupid thing to word wrap, I will send you a great big invisible box of air, and add you to the credits

View Post

You could upload it as a txt file that people download instead of opening to look at on the net, and it would look right.
Otherwise I'd say do it html. icon_wink.gif
You could throw it together in html in about 15 minutes, just put <html> at the top and <br> for a line break, and <p> for a paragraph, and </html> at the bottom, it doesn't have to be fancy, it will display right just like that.

Edited by Freedom, 24 August 2006 - 03:08 PM.

#15 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 29 August 2006 - 04:42 PM

Re-updated the guide. Still haven't made it into an HTML file yet, but that's because I'm going to add images and stuff to it, so it might be a while

This update explains the different shadow and shadowed types, thanks to spriteman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users