• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:53 PM

Review of Rise of Ganon by Kenster
Review by Blaman

Taking a look at the most recent quests submitted, I saw this. I remember seeing that the goal was to review newer quests, so I decided to give it a go. I didn't expect to get through it as fast as I did (Not that it was short, more or less I had a lot of time) so because the poll for this month is already up, I'll be adding this to next month's poll. So here's my review of Rise of Ganon.

This quest features a full overworld and 9 main dungeons, all done with the New BS tileset.

Starting off with graphics, as usual, Kenster keeps it simple. While the screens are not extravagant, they're not bad either. For the overworld, it's clean and to the point without trying to shove things in the way that don't need to be there to get the point across. There are several areas in the quest to visit, and they each look fairly different, despite only using two overworld palettes. The dungeons are the same idea; simple and effective. They resemble Zelda 1 dungeons a little in how they're made: square rooms with blocks in the middle. Of course, there are some added things and whatnot, but still stays consistent.

The music in this quest was pretty good. Nothing that was over-used, nothing that sounded bad, and almost everything sounded like it belonged. Each dungeon and area are given their own music, all of it sounding pretty good. The styles may have not sounded one hundred percent consistent, but that didn't take away any from the quest. Oh, and did I mention Thriller is in this quest? No? Well, I just did. Now that's awesome. And I'm not even a big Michael Jackson fan.

Of course, we don't come to a quest to look a pretty pictures and listen to some cool tunes. Well, at least I don't. We come to play ourselves a quest. While at first, Rise of Ganon is very linear, it does open up and the player will be required to go back here and there. This goes for both overworlds and dungeons, more so on the overworld part. For dungeons, there aren't many branching paths, and the key for the locked door is never that far off. They were also pretty simple, but I did see some cool ideas in here that I hadn't seen elsewhere. It also starts off easy, but quickly ramps the difficulty up later. By the end, it's pretty crazy and challenging, easily making up for the very easy beginning. Sometimes it even over-compensates, being a little harder than it should be, in my opinion. Also, I did pick-up a few bugs, but nothing that'll stop the game entirely. Just minor things.

Overall, despite being rather linear for the most part, I still found myself having fun with the great amount of challenge in the later parts of this quest. I'd say that if you're looking for a challenge, you'll probably find it here.

In the end, I decided to give this a 7.8/10 for the enjoyment I got out of this, despite some drawbacks.

Thriller, man. Thriller!

You can discuss the quest here (agree or not, it's my own opinion), but please take any questions regarding this quest to Custom Quest Discussion Also, be sure to rate this quest. The author is bound to appreciate it.

Thank you.

#2 KenMeister

KenMeister

Wizard

• Members

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:18 PM

OMG,I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU REVIEWED MY QUEST!! icon_eek.gif
Shocked as I am,I thank you gladly for reviewing,I've been waiting quite some time for a review.
But what quest will be competing next to mine though? icon_unsettled.gif

#3 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:11 PM

No problem. icon_smile.gif I had fun playing it.
Right now, I'm playing Master Quest - New BS Edition by Radien and Fall uh de Honky Pig by WildBill. If you don't want it in the competition, I can take it out for you. I should probably make note of that somewhere. (That if the quest creator doesn't want their quest in the poll to contact me.)

#4 Guest_joseph125 (Guest)

Guest_joseph125 (Guest)
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:22 AM

hey guys,,,,
he first thing that you will see is a two Iron Knuckles and
two Armos blocking your way to the entrance. Destroy both
Armos with your Biggoron's
sword look through section 3 H of
my walkthrough for how to get it. If you don't have it by now I
highly suggest getting it unless you have already mastered this
game. Destroy one Iron Knuckle at a time to make it easier for
you. Then after the two Iron Knuckles are destroyed destroy the
two Beamos with bombs. icon_lol.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_cool.gif

#5 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:19 AM

QUOTE(joseph125 @ Jan 13 2011, 02:22 AM) View Post

hey guys,,,,
he first thing that you will see is a two Iron Knuckles and
two Armos blocking your way to the entrance. Destroy both
Armos with your Biggoron's
sword look through section 3 H of
my walkthrough for how to get it. If you don't have it by now I
highly suggest getting it unless you have already mastered this
game. Destroy one Iron Knuckle at a time to make it easier for
you. Then after the two Iron Knuckles are destroyed destroy the
two Beamos with bombs. icon_lol.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_cool.gif

Please refrain from posting completely off-topic posts, as it is against the rules and is essentially spam. Again, you may discuss the quest by all means, but please stay on topic.

Thank you.

#6 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:29 PM

I recently (within the past month or so) completed playing this quest. I think it was awesome!
(ZC (2.10) closed on me during the end sequence and I haven't had a chance to go back and beat it again. Bummed about that, but I'll get around to it one of these days.)

I'm really big on video game music. I was quite happy to hear some of my favorite music in this quest. And the Thriller dungeon! I had never even considered the idea of having a song like that in a dungeon. Kudos to Kenster for that one!

It was definitely challenging, just as the previous review said. The only big problem I had was caused by me forgetting where the L3 Sword was. Level 7 was super hard without it! If I would've went back and retrieved it on time I probably wouldn't have had such a hard time. (But, that's my fault; no fault in the programming or quest designing.) Besides that, beating Ganon wasn't just like the classic Zelda; you have to beat a slew of other monsters before getting to the invisible Ganon part. Definitely a challenge! I died a few times before I beat it.

I've learned a lot from this quest that has helped me with designing my quest. For example, I hadn't incorporated the Lens of Truth into my quest yet at the time, so I didn't know exactly how it worked until I got it and used it in this quest.

If you need a quest to try, definitely try this one!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users