• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:40 AM

Hey guys and gals.

I thought I'll throw in another update. This time I want to share the daytime, present map for the Kokiri Forest. Let me know what you think about my take on the area! Without further ado:

gUJ6rBm.png

Edited by Sheik, 10 August 2017 - 06:40 AM.

• Espilan, Rambly, thepsynergist and 24 others like this

#2 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:07 AM

Wow dude, that is some Map of the Month quality right here! Absolutely love the recreation, you seemed to have nailed everything down very nicely and each section of the map is easily recognisable to me. Good job man, seriously looking forward to seeing where this goes.

• Shane and Sheik like this

#3 Dark Linkael

Dark Linkael

Kasuto

• Members

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:23 AM

Very good work this Kokiri Forest GB style. It is not always obvious to make a 2D map from a 3D game originally, but it is perfectly recognizable as the evokes Eddy. Many details and trees, I like it.

• Sheik likes this

#4 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:18 AM

Kokiri Forest is much bigger than i remembered. Still, looks awesome.

• Sheik and Lightwulf like this

#5 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:50 AM

This has to be the best 2d demake of this location : / This is crazy good quality.

-Strike

• Sheik likes this

#6 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:51 PM

And Link was never able to reach the Great Deku Tree and start his journey, because he didn't have the flippers. The end. :P

• Anthus, Mitsukara, Sheik and 4 others like this

#7 Ezka

Ezka

• Members

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:57 PM

Damn, this is amazing. I love how you didn't try and make it an exact replica, you made it your own. I think that is really important when making a 2d remake of a 3d game, you can't make everything exactly the same. You have to make it fit in the 2d environment, whether that is getting rid of a whole section, or even dropping an item. Anyway, this map is amazing. Can't wait to see the future of this project.

• Sheik likes this

#8 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:18 PM

This looks absolutely amazing! Very detailed and quite accurate. I can't wait to see other areas of the game. : Keep up the fantastic work. 

• Sheik likes this

#9 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:01 AM

Awesome!

Regarding it being bigger, I know that's how things work with stuff like this.  I recreated the Bottom of the Well minidungeon, and it had to be about as proportionally bigger as this is to the original Kokiri forest.

• Sheik likes this

#10 Soma C.

Soma C.

Mr. Coreaix

• Members

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:28 PM

That is hella impressive buddy.  I recognize all of those areas clearly and that is a very good thing!  Keep up the stellar work :)

#11 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:56 PM

[One of the best maps made, probably ever in ZC]

That's a pretty good re-creation of that area. It's interesting how different, yet accurate it is. For example, in OoT as you know, the Deku tree takes up basically half the area, but that would be empty and boring in 2D, so you've made a good compromise here. The houses, and water are also really nice touches.

I can't wait to see what you do for death mountain trail, or the desert areas. Those are, imo, the hardest ones to make work in 2D. cause one is pretty vertical, and the other is just a huge expanse of sand.

• Sheik likes this

#12 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 19 November 2017 - 05:03 PM

Thanks guys. Yeah, I too am curious what I am going to do about the other areas. I am even more curious about when I am going to do anything about them. :P I would love to at least have the childhood part working. Would be so cool! Ah, well.

• Eddy and strike like this

#13 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 19 November 2017 - 05:51 PM

If it motivates you any, these maps are basically works of art. I would love to see Hyrule Field. How you interpret the empty space.

• Sheik likes this

#14 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 19 November 2017 - 05:59 PM

I am imagining a really nice Lake Hylia with that water too. You can show a lot of depth with those.

• Sheik and strike like this

#15 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:42 AM

I just now noticed this project. This looks really cool! I hope it works out, because it looks great so far. Good custom sprites, too.

I presume you basically have Link starting with the flippers, for the reason Moosh pointed out, since Link could swim right away in OoT (imagine how hilarious it would be if he drowned by the shop in town in the original game...). I don't know if you're planning to script much, but,for the Zora Scale 'deep diving' thing, you could make it so that certain Dive->Item flags only appear once Link has the Zora Scale. Or some other approach.

When you do Hyrule Field... my suggestion would be to take advantage of how hilly/sloped it was, and the scattered trees and rocks and little fences and whatnot. It's remembered as being very empty, but there is at least a little bit to it. I'm sure the way you're approaching this will come up with something cool, since it's clear you're putting a lot of thought into the original maps. But also, don't beat yourself up if that area winds up being a bit empty, since that's just being faithful. It's really just a connector between the other overworld areas anyway- the way I see it, Kokiri Forest, Death Mountain, Zora's river, Lake Hylia, and Gerudo Valley are all part of OoT's "overworld", it's just that they sort of divided it into sub-areas for memory reasons, kind of like how Zelda II has that big east/west split in the middle.

Edited by Mitsukara, 28 December 2017 - 06:43 AM.

• Sheik, Matthew and Soma C. like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users