• Contributors

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:11 AM

• Mitsukara likes this

#18 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:00 AM

Thanks again to everyone who gave this a try. I don't have much more to say that I haven't said before- I might do more with it eventually but haven't yet, and anyone who wants to try to utilize it's parts or scripts is welcome to do so. (I also explained a little about how the technical concepts of it work in the LaZPoC thread).

I don't know if my next finished ZC project will necessarily be Memory of Koholint, or something else (I'm currently leaning towards something else, but this last year I've been slow about finishing any projects and wrote a big long Sailor Moon fanfiction story that will probably be the first thing I complete), but I think I may still make use of this capability for other projects. It would work well for a JRPG-esque overworld mechanic, I think, as a means of connecting traditional ZC areas.

I'll be around, hopefully, so if anyone has questions you can PM me and I might get back to you, but I don't make promises I can't keep, so I can't guarantee I'll help you (or even that I'll always be around or anything). But give it a shot if you'd like, and we'll see ^^

#19 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:36 AM

So that's the name of the project? Memory of Koholint. I would actually be interested to hear about what you have (had?) in mind for this (I mean you don't put three characters into the game without having thought about it etc). Maybe it's a little late to ask now, though.

Either way, astonishing work here. I appreciate all the little details and extra effort. Needless to say that this is about the coolest thing I've seen in a long time on PZC as far as gameplay mechanics are concerned.

• Mitsukara likes this

#20 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:47 AM

Essentially, Memory of Koholint would feature gameplay similar to Panoply of Calatia (a lot of items and item puzzles, with different characters using different items/different versions of the items, and a negotiable dungeon order). There are new some new features I'd like to add to it (I wanted to basically replace the built in subscreen, sword, and shield entirely with my own scripted versions; and I have some item ideas that didn't come up in LaZPoC or that I didn't know how to do. I would also be completely rescripting the Spinner since my old one was pretty buggy).

The big character portraits are really intended for a scripted subscreen, because they take up a bit too much room on a traditional one. I was thinking of having a more Ocarina of Time style multi-page subscreen. That would also let me do big custom dungeon/ocean maps, and some other stuff like that.

I also really want to make buttons B, A, EX1-4, and L and R be something the player can set to any item, any switch/separate/etc capabilities, and traditional L/R type functions of using buttons to shift the setting of another button. So basically you could use as many or as few buttons as you want, arranged however you want, instead of necessarily needing to use the EX buttons at all- it would allow the player to set it up themselves. (This would also mean I'd need to script a new hookshot, hammer, and canes/wands, but there's a few reasons I'd actually like to do that anyway. I was considering an angular hookshot, for one thing...).

There might not be as many items as LaZPoC, and definitely not a whole bunch more, but I'd want to include all or most of the same capabilities, some new ones, and basically reimagine/re-optimizie the inventory a bit. I'm pretty much all about items when it comes to Zelda.

One big feature I'd really like to have is switching separated characters from separate screens. It would have the risk of resetting certain rooms, but I think I could at least deal with that with a "can't switch from this room" kind of script and an indicator to the player as to where they can and can't remotely switch, defaulting to letting them do it in most places. I could roughly explain that in story as a form of telepathy that can be blocked in certain areas, or something.

Oh, and those silly fairy sprites would definitely play a role. I was thinking the level-up system would involve Venus, Queen of Fairies, an experience points would be referred to as 'happiness points' maybe. She would have her own section of the subscreen where you pick your levelups and she appears and tells you a random fortune thing like LTTP.

Also, I had some ideas for making the level up system more complicated than LaZPoC's, involving possibly leveling up individual items' attack power (or having magic affect the damage of magic items like wands), having expandable caps on how far you can level any one thing which you go around finding like container pieces, and so on. I would also bring back the thing there there are no dungeon heart containers, so you have to find all your heart containers manually like Zelda II. And there would still be sideview areas in this quest (as did Link's Awakening and Oracles), so the whole thing would still have some Zelda II elements, just a lot less focus on it than LaZPoC, and this more LTTP-ish aesthetic.

Story-wise...

Light spoilers for the WIP basics:

Spoiler

Bigger spoilers for later developments (and for Panoply of Calatia):

Spoiler

But that's all just rough draft stuff, subject to change. I've been thinking about ideas for how you could have an appropriate sequel to Link's Awakening since I was a kid, because in some ways it  really seems like ti's not appropriate to have a followup at all and I wouldn't want it to be as simple as a nostalgia trip and wish fulfillment even if those are kind of related to the goal, I'd want it to somehow explore the themes a bit more and still be a bit mind-screwy/dramatic/complicated. Link's Awakening's ending made a big impression on me as a kid and I don't want to undermine that with an ill-considered simple fixfic.

But mostly, I've sort of approached it from a game-mechanics-and-area-design-first, story-second perspective. (Also for replay value I was thinking of making the cutscenes something you could turn off.)

I haven't started a project page for it because there's just not enough actual meat done besides notes. Most of what I've completed in ZC for it is already in that demo (or is a feature I'd reuse from LaZPoC). But I do hope to get it done eventually... just not wanting to make promises or get too optimistic about it yet when I still have other things on my plate, if it's going to be a backburner project.

Also, if you want to use or repurpose these ideas, feel free.

As for the projects I may do first, I talk about them a bit in the LaZPoC thread, but they mostly amount to simpler games with a bit less in the way of puzzles and items, but related ideas. Basically, easier things to make, since this is my biggest grand ZC project idea and, while no individual piece of it sounds beyond reach and it's really just repeating a lot of what I already did in LaZPoC on a basic level, it's collectively a bit daunting and will take a while, even if I have reusable scripts and experience to draw upon.

In particular, the one I've poked at most recently would be a little Final Fantasy VI sidestory (involving Terra, Leo, and Celes in a sort of dimensional tear thing), which would probably use this ocean sailing engine for some kind of overworld setup, probably with random encounters. But then I would have traditional ZC sub-areas. It wouldn't involve too many items or too many puzzles, but you would still have a range of abilities and a bunch of stuff to do, but it's a much looser and smaller idea overall. But I'm not starting a project page fort hat one either, until I have more than just graphics and ideas done.

Edited by Mitsukara, 28 December 2017 - 05:01 AM.

• Sheik likes this

#21 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 December 2017 - 05:15 AM

Thank you for the thoughtful and in-depth reply. :)

Edit: You seem to like LA a lot. Back in March 2014 I wrote a psychological analysis of the game, maybe you'd enjoy that. You don't seem to mind walls of text either.

Edited by Sheik, 28 December 2017 - 05:25 AM.

#22 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 28 December 2017 - 05:18 AM

Thank you for putting up with my rambling XD I always feel a little foolish talking about ideas when I don't have a finished product to go with them, but I rarely mind describing my plans for this kind of thing if someone wants to know.

Edited by Mitsukara, 28 December 2017 - 05:18 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users