Ocarina of Time Randomizer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:14 PM

I know a few people here are playing this, so I figured I'd make a thread about it.

For those who don't know, OoT has had a randomizer out for a little while, and it's a lot of fun so far, as has a lot of interesting choices for making different styles of seeds.

I'm still playing through my first seed. I have almost every major item and song, except for the last bottle, Iron Boots, Zora Tunic, Requiem of Spirit, and Epona's Song.

So you can almost make it like BotW if you wanted to. You can make it so Ganondorf is accessible right away, or you can play it closer to the original's requirements.

Info from the GitHub page

• ShadowTiger likes this

#2 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 23 July 2018 - 10:25 PM

Imagine getting a seed where you just keep getting PoHs and HCs before ANY important items.

Can't relate.

I lied I'm crying rn because of the seed I got.

Unrelated though, but I would personally reccomend almost always checking the "Open Forest" flag when you randomize, as it seemingly gurantees the equipment to beat the Deku Tree early on, and so the whole random aspect becomes less random around the beginning, I like the idea of doing Deku Tree late for whatever reason.

I LOVE this randomizer though, replaying the Young Link dungeons without a Kokiri Sword have been some fo the most fun I've had with OoT in quite a while.

• Jared likes this

#3 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 24 July 2018 - 04:30 AM

I have fun with ocarina of time randomizer
Lucky i got the sword very early little easier with the sword and bombs.

#4 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 24 July 2018 - 04:54 AM

There's also TestRunner's version which has additional settings, like Keysanity and Skullsanity for the really crazy people as well as options to exclude certain locations from holding a Progression Item (like the Hunt 10 Big Poe's quest for example):

Download: https://github.com/T...omizer/tree/Dev(Click the green Clone/Download button)
Readme: https://github.com/T...omizer/tree/Dev

You'll need to install Python v3.6 or newer on to your computer and then you can run Gui.py as though it was an executable. Don't download the v1.0 Release.

You should use either BizHawk or RetroArch to emulate the game, not Project64.

Currently TestRunner's build is more actively maintained. I'm however currently playing AmazingAmpharos version for my first playthrough and there's a handy Discord for the Randomizer as well: https://discord.gg/HAwCXh

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 25 July 2018 - 10:21 AM.

#5 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:58 PM

There's also TestRunner's version which has additional settings, like Keysanity and Skullsanity for the really crazy people as well as options to exclude certain locations from holding a Progression Item (like the Hunt 10 Big Poe's quest for example):

Download: https://github.com/T...omizer/releases
Readme: https://github.com/T...omizer/tree/Dev

Currently TestRunner's build is more actively maintained. I'm however currently playing AmazingAmpharos version for my first playthrough and there's a handy Discord for the Randomizer as well: https://discord.gg/HAwCXh

That does sound pretty nice. I want a mod where I can toggle link's movement speed mainly for Hyrule field. Being able to edit the sword color, and swipe color would be cool too.

#6 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 24 July 2018 - 09:46 PM

I'm not really into the ALttP randomizer for some reason, but this one appeals to me. I think it's because of how poorly suited OoT is to a randomizer, it becomes sort of like a big puzzle. A puzzle that's dependent on how well you know this one game. Currently working through a second run after the first crashed and deleted my saves. :(

That does sound pretty nice. I want a mod where I can toggle link's movement speed mainly for Hyrule field.

Moosh Pro Tip: If you're using RetroArch with the ParaLLEl core like I am, you should be able to press space bar to toggle fast forward on and off. This helps things significantly.

#7 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 24 July 2018 - 10:03 PM

Unrelated though, but I would personally reccomend almost always checking the "Open Forest" flag when you randomize, as it seemingly gurantees the equipment to beat the Deku Tree early on, and so the whole random aspect becomes less random around the beginning, I like the idea of doing Deku Tree late for whatever reason.

I LOVE this randomizer though, replaying the Young Link dungeons without a Kokiri Sword have been some fo the most fun I've had with OoT in quite a while.

I did see some of those screens in discord, and that was a lot of heart pieces/ containers lol. I also am a fan of the Open Forest (and Open DoT) cause you can end up going a long stretch with no (Kokiri) sword which is really invigorating, and really, oddly enough, kinda feels like BotW in a way. I know I keep saying that, but the idea of relying on these finite items like sticks, bombs, deku nuts, and seeds, it becomes a lot more strategic. I didn't find the Kokiri sword till nearly the end of the game. Same for the boomerang. I ended up doing Water Temple last, and JJB before that.

On my second seed, I went ahead and did vanilla forest, and yeah, I got a lot of normal items pretty early, which made it kind of drag early on cause it felt too slow for a bit which is not something I want while playing a randomizer. :P

I'm not really into the ALttP randomizer for some reason, but this one appeals to me. I think it's because of how poorly suited OoT is to a randomizer, it becomes sort of like a big puzzle. A puzzle that's dependent on how well you know this one game. Currently working through a second run after the first crashed and deleted my saves. :(

Moosh Pro Tip: If you're using RetroArch with the ParaLLEl core like I am, you should be able to press space bar to toggle fast forward on and off. This helps things significantly.

I feel the same about the whole thing. I tried LttP rando, and I couldn't get into it in spite of me technically liking that game more. But this? I'm on my third seed. Something I never thought would happen as I've never finished any randomizer before. I'm gonna try out the one that Nicholas posted above next.

I'm using RetroArch, but I went the Mupen64 route. It's such a step above Project 64, I can't believe how I was living in N64 emulation squalor. I think it has a similar FF function as well, which I will be checking next time I play. For some reason, I didn't even think about looking for the emulator's speed feature. I think I legitimately forgot it was an emulator for a second cause of how well it runs compared to what I'm used to. :heh:

• Jared likes this

#8 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 24 July 2018 - 10:28 PM

Oh no, it leaked onto the forums :P

So far I only completed the Great Deku Tree. I got a lot of Adult Link's late game items early on, so that was a help since I used the Door of Time checkmark on. Need to go back to this though. Kind of annoying cause I can't find a Hookshot anywhere!!

#9 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 24 July 2018 - 11:23 PM

Oh no, it leaked onto the forums :P

So far I only completed the Great Deku Tree. I got a lot of Adult Link's late game items early on, so that was a help since I used the Door of Time checkmark on. Need to go back to this though. Kind of annoying cause I can't find a Hookshot anywhere!!

Did you generate a spoiler log? Imo, that's a must for these types of things, for me anyway. It saves it as a .txt, but you can save it in any other format, and search it. I found this to be a fairly spoiler free way of looking for an item I was missing out on. Instead of skimming the whole thing, I'd type in "hookshot" or whatever, and I'd not see everything.

• Jared likes this

#10 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 24 July 2018 - 11:33 PM

But that ruins the fun of finding it in the most random spot! :P

• Anthus likes this

#11 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:35 AM

I updated my previous post in regards to TestRunner's build. It's recommended to run the latest version in the Developer Branch and not the v1.0 Release Build.

#12 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 25 July 2018 - 10:15 AM

They say that Dead Hand holds love.

Such a great hint. He's really a nice guy once you get to know him. Also it was a heart piece, not Nayru's Love, such a troll...

Did you generate a spoiler log? Imo, that's a must for these types of things, for me anyway. It saves it as a .txt, but you can save it in any other format, and search it. I found this to be a fairly spoiler free way of looking for an item I was missing out on. Instead of skimming the whole thing, I'd type in "hookshot" or whatever, and I'd not see everything.

Personally, I've mostly just been using it to rule out places I don't want to check. Stuff like the 10 poe guy or the Biggoron quest that would take a while for little payout. I also had to spoiler log a Spirit Temple key because it was in a chest I somehow still didn't know existed.

• Anthus likes this

#13 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 29 July 2018 - 11:24 PM

You'll need to install Python v3.6 or newer on to your computer and then you can run Gui.py as though it was an executable.

How do I do this? I have Python 3.6 installed, and I see no way to 'run' it. I can open Gui.py in IDLE, but running it through that gives me monstrous errors. I also couldn't find any type of .exe installer. :(

Edit: I'm probably missing something obvious, but I can't get it to work. To specify, I can run Gui.py, but I can't actually patch a ROM. Every time I tick a box, or setting, I get a bunch of red errors in IDLE, and clicking "Generate Patch" does not do anything.

Oops, nevermind, I got it working after installing the correct version of Python. >.> I had 3.4.4 for some reason. I grabbed 3.7.0, and it seems to be working just fine. Wew.

Loving these little options though. Like seriously. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users