Photo

Screenshot of the Week 206

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
53 replies to this topic

Poll: SoTW 206 (70 member(s) have cast votes)

Contestants

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:30 AM

I was almost going to null this, but I've decided to vote for CastChaos this week. His is a standout from the rest, but I'm not sure by how much...

#17 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:39 AM

Nulled of course, but I would have voted for CC. And all of these comments just inspired me to do more with my screens. SOTW really helps.

#18 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 14 April 2008 - 10:40 AM

ZebraStallion: That screen... seems like you... I dunno what to say... other than ''it's not very good''... sorry... Just don't like it... I think it's the way you used the grass... Or maybe it's the grass borders? Hmm

HylianLegend: that screen looks like you just looked through the tilelist and chose to put down random nice tiles... Like ''Ooh! That's a nice grave! I'll randomly put it down on my screen here!''
And the open corner really... destroys the shot... and the lockiness is awfull... and please, try not to use that dirt too much... it looks bad when used in large amounts next to eachother.

Giggidy: Meh.. Here, it also seems that you've just looked for nice tiles to use in the tilelist... instead of actually designing a great screen... Sorry, don't like...

Link R Us: You've got an even bigger problem... The same on like the two above, but.... worse... WHAT where you thinking? That screen looks like a complete mess... Literally... Sorry to say, but that screen is really really bad...

LiH: That, is a good screen sir... No, nothing awesome... But okay! Better than the others above... So... My vote goes here...

CC: Hmm... You thought I forgot about you? Nah...
When I said my vote went to LiH, I was lying... my vote goes to you...
Just please, do one thing for me: Change those treetop tiles... They DO NOT fit there... thanks!

Migokalle

#19 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:54 PM

CastChaos - 6/10
I would love to see a better water edge to that fountain if that is possible. The 2x2 plants on the ground look awkward when you only have fractions of them. Perhaps something 1x1 would be more fitting for those. I like the vines, but some of the wall details I find a little confusing. Other than that it is a decent shot.

HylianLegend - 6/10
While those are great tiles, I have seen better from them on many occasions. Those small tress should not be mixed with those larger trees ever. They look like they belong to different tilesets, thus bringing some inconsistency to the screen. The cliffs would look better if they were a little more crooked. The grass and ground details are pretty good, although I am sure you can still take the details a bit farther.

ZebraStallion - 5/10
A plainish design with inconsistencies. The grass patch in the middle is too square-like, and that grass looks like it belongs to a different tileset that the grass on the rest of the screen. You did however found smaller and larger trees that would work right together. Besides the tree setup and a few ground details, the screen doesn't look that interesting.

Link R Us - 5/10
Now this is something I don't see much of. While the design doesn't show much careful planning in my eyes, the tileset also doesn't allow much room for thinking outside the squares. Despite that, I am sure there is plenty you can do to make the screen more attractive.

Giggidy - 7/10
Call me whatever you like, but I think this screen was put together well to combine the man-made with the nature that surrounds it. My votes goes to here. Great job.

LostInHyrule - 5/10
A typical graveyard screen, and not too bad. You should take the green and reddish parts of the ground and either make them less square-like, in my opinion. I don't like that bright upper edge of the ledge in the lower left. You should try something else, as it stands out much more than it should. As for the rain, white is not a good color to go with. Perhaps something more translucent looking for rain would be most fitting. Maybe a certain shade of blue or green would be best.

#20 Giggidy

Giggidy

We live for chaos so that we may die for ourselves.

• Banned

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:12 PM

wait

LostInHyrule, y is link ontop of the rain?

#21 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:18 PM

He is not. Look at the rain drop interacting with Link's right ear- it's on top, not him.

#22 Giggidy

Giggidy

• Banned

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:45 PM

but it looks like he is

wich is just as bad

#23 Plissken

Plissken

What's with these homies dissing our girls?

• Members

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:51 PM

It really doesn't...I could clearly see without the animation he was underneath the rain right away. I'm sure if you were playing the game, there'd be no problem, so it's really not bad...at all.

#24 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE(Giggidy @ Apr 14 2008, 02:45 PM) View Post

but it looks like he is

wich is just as bad

I'm sorry.. butthat's a really poor attempt to make the other screens look bad :3
Now, I see what you MEAN... but since he ISN'T on top, that is not a valid critique... Cause you'd be critisizing a mistake that was never made!
EDIT: 1.700 posts!

Edited by Migokalle, 14 April 2008 - 03:54 PM.

#25 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:20 PM

I voted for Castchaos. It's the best designed screen, so.
You really should remove those treetops CC.

#26 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:29 PM

So many demand that foliage to be removed, but nobody offers alternate for something same floor greenness. That salad (as my sister calls it) is so beautiful there. Plus,if you played my demos, you got used to it... or you haven't found the secret caves? icon_glare.gif

#27 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:29 PM

I voted for CastChaos, as seems to be the trend. It's got a unique shape, and the vines are a good touch, but in normal conditions, I can't say I would have voted for it, but these other shots have problems.

- CastChaos -

It's a cave. Not much to say, though it has a good shape and the greenery is a nice touch. Out of this week's class, the best bet. icon_unsettled.gif

- HylianLegend -

Nice... vocabulary. icon_eek.gif Not really a bad shot, either. But Radien made it so that all DoR shots are good now. icon_blah.gif

*Visualizes the shot without SD3 grass.* Yeah, the ground would seem alot more bland, but you've got something going there. icon_razz.gif

- ZebraStallion -

Nostalgia. This reminds me of when the shots were only Pure, GB, or DoR (pre-SD3 grass). It's not a bad layout, and lol at the grass pond. Maybe I should've voted for this. icon_unsettled.gif

And btw, the passive subscreen sucks. icon_deformed.gif

- Link R Us -

I almost voted for this, until I took a longer look and felt like some things didn't look right in the pic, like the floating fairy, and those borders are just... wtf, man? icon_shrug.gif

- Giggidy -

More like a piece of art than a ZC submission. Yes, the graphics are great, but it doesn't appeal to me. Mainly because I miss some of the older members's work with that set, and this isn't as good. It's good for someone I've never heard of before ( icon_heh.gif ), but it just doesn't appeal to me.

- LostInHyru1e -

As you said, procrastination. icon_razz.gif Actually, the shape and layout isn't that bad, and is a good GB shot, but the rain kinda ruins it. icon_unsettled.gif

#28 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

Polm The Fathomless (Slime)

• Members

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:33 PM

CastChaos:Where is Knil? icon_worried.gif

Edited by Nameless, 14 April 2008 - 04:34 PM.

#29 Giggidy

Giggidy

• Banned

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:44 PM

cc - maybe like moss tile on the floor or something?

QUOTE(Migokalle @ Apr 14 2008, 02:54 PM) View Post

I'm sorry.. butthat's a really poor attempt to make the other screens look bad :3
Now, I see what you MEAN... but since he ISN'T on top, that is not a valid critique... Cause you'd be critisizing a mistake that was never made!
EDIT: 1.700 posts!

but it looked like it was, which i said before, is just as bad for a competition

probably would be easier to notice if i were actually playing, but I'm not playing, am I?

#30 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:09 PM

Nameless: This is a cropped ZQuest screen, so the main character can't be seen.

Giggidy: It's probably just me, but I can't really imagine good moss there, especially not with a cave palette. (I use CSet5 for floor foliage salad, obviously.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users