Photo

Screenshot of the Week 161

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
81 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 161 (63 member(s) have cast votes)

Contestants

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#31 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:41 PM

Revan9 for her

Haha... Rev's a dude.

I voted for Revfan because his shot just caught my eye and it looks pretty nice.

#32 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:41 PM

I personally think that's a damn nice grass texture considering the two-color limit. And limits aside, it's still a lot better looking than that SD3 grass that has everyone drooling.

#33 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 06 May 2007 - 09:12 PM

I am no expert on tiles, tilesets, palettes, etc., but I do know what I like best when I see a bunch of shots. Essentially that is what SotW is all about. So to discuss shots:

DarkFlameWolf - Overall a shot that I find appealing without trying to be too fancy to cause a lot of potential mistakes. While it is pretty safe, it is overall well designed.

Nuvo - I can say a lot of the same with this shot, only it is DoR instead of Pure (not a basis for any of my voting). Also safe but well designed.

Revfan9 - Unlike the other two shots, this one seems to take some big risks. The tile choices seem good to me, but the design detail doesn't seem as good as the other two when you break it down to the bare skeleton. The purple water was a beneficial risk in my opinion in regards to the color, but more variety with the water tiles could have helped as well. The coastline seems to make only 45 degree angles and horizontal lines, which seems unnatural. The lake god was a nice touch though.

The decision was tough, and it all comes down to what you personally value the most, and that is the design of the details. For outdoor shots, I like shots that look natural, appealing, and complete. So my vote goes to DarkFlameWolf.

#34 Fire Wizzrobe

Fire Wizzrobe

Master

• Members

Posted 06 May 2007 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE(Nuvo @ May 6 2007, 07:14 PM) View Post

Thank you for pointing this out, but I have a quick question, why should the palette I didn't make effect the vote on the shot?

I didn't make self very clear, that was just a pointer. icon_wink.gif

#35 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 06 May 2007 - 11:37 PM

DFW ftw.
Revfan9 ftl.
Nuvo ftmiddle...

Wolfie's got nice detail.
Nuvo has an oddly sloped mountain and nothing too spectacular.
Revfan, basic setup, ugly and vacant water, terrible statue palette, not nearly enough contrast, clashes with everything else.

#36 Zemious

Zemious

Magicite: Bahamut

• Members

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:09 PM

I voted for Revfan because of his graphics.
I am a all about the graphics. <_>

Although, DFW's shot implies a forest near by which I don't normally see.
Her shot is just a pure shot though,.
Graphically, Revfan wins my vote.
Technique, DFW gets my vote.

Nuvo, your shot was good but your mountians are out of perspective.

#37 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:44 PM

Heh. I submitted this SD3i shot because I thought it would get a better reception, compared to my original entry, a simple DoRr shot:

IPB Image

I swear, people are impossible to please. Whenever I focus on screen design, people whine about the graphics. Whenever I focus on the graphics, people whine about screen design. Whenever I bust my arse to get the perfect shot, Radien, NoeL, or someone else submits a shot that steals the show. SotW seems to be more of a popularity contest lately than anything else.

#38 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 07 May 2007 - 01:47 PM

That's true, Revfan. Sotw is just a bloody popularity contest. If your name is Relic or NoeL, you always win no matter what you submit. It's so unfair! icon_razz.gif

But I wonder what is your problem with DFW's shots. You find so many things wrong in her pictures, and some of your opinions seem quite absurd. Use LttP grass rather than Pure grass?? Oookay... O_o

Anyhoo, DFW for the win this week.

#39 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 07 May 2007 - 05:07 PM

Eh, it's not a popularity contest, those people just kick ass and are hard to beat. They each usually come with new and intersting graphic set up in a sensable fashion.

Rev: Don't try to please people, just make your picture nice to look at. This one has a lot of bugs in it (as you can probably tell if you seriously look at it), and before you submit it you should try your hardest to eradicate those problems. Instead of focusing on just one thing (like graphic, or setup) try to perfect all of those factors.

#40 Johan

Johan

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE(Peteo @ May 7 2007, 10:47 AM) View Post

If your name is Relic or NoeL, you always win no matter what you submit. It's so unfair! icon_razz.gif

Fool! NoeL wins because he is the best. Enough said. icon_sigh.gif

Dfw is number one.
Nuvo is number two.
Revolutionfan is 3rd. That's a very boring shot. icon_frown.gif

#41 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:11 PM

DFW: Nice, but not too much of an attention-getter.

Nuvo: I thought that wazs like a mine or something.

Rev:Voted fo' you. Though I don't like how it's just SD3 with the DoR Link stuck in there.

#42 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:57 PM

Seriously, what is so uninteresting and boring about Rev's? There's nothing really going on in any of the three shots. icon_blink.gif

I don't have any arguement about NoeL or Relic though. They are good spriters/pixel artists, so they get more votes. icon_wink.gif

...and don't forget Linkus. icon_razz.gif

#43 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE(Sir Pimpalot @ May 8 2007, 03:57 PM) View Post

...and don't forget Linkus. icon_razz.gif

...or Setzer, or PrinceMSC, or C-Dawg, or Ian, or any other great ZC artists who've graced our eyeballs.

#44 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:42 PM

...or Setzer, or PrinceMSC, or C-Dawg, or Ian, or any other great ZC artists who've graced our eyeballs.

Not to mention Exate, or even EatinCake.

#45 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:57 PM

I went with Revfan's, due to the fact it reminds me of a cross between Zelda, Megaman and one of those old NES games, and this screenshot is its spawn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users