hookshot item editor damage stun glitch

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FnrrfYgmSchnish

FnrrfYgmSchnish

Junior

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:55 PM

Fiddling around with the hookshot in the item editor, attempting to make a Spear item for a quest I'm working on.  Graphics-wise it works fine (I changed the tiles to a spear and made the length and number of chain links much shorter, and it looks... pretty much like Link shanks critters with a long spear!), but when I set it up to do damage things got really wonky.

Damage seems extremely inconsistent with this thing.  With damage set to level 2 (same as White Sword) it sometimes does normal damage and other times randomly takes out a blue Goriya in a single hit.  I saw the same thing happen when I set its damage down to 1 (Wooden Sword level)--sometimes it took three hits to kill an Armos, but once I saw it kill one in a single stab.  I don't have any other items that would be affecting weapon damage (and I assume the Whimsical Ring only affects the sword, anyway) and none of these enemies were set up to have instant-death from the hookshot, so I can only guess that the hookshot/spear is somehow hitting multiple times in a single stab.  I have "no handle damage" in the item settings checked on, so the handle sprite shouldn't be hitting things.  Are the "chain links" (spear shaft, in this case) doing damage too, or is the hookshot just screwy in general?  The situation with the Goriya was especially weird, since it really shouldn't have been hit by anything but the spear's head (it was just barely within reach.)

And most importantly... even when damage set above 0, it still stuns everything.  Is there any easy way of turning this stun off, or is the only way around this going to be some kind of "stunless hookshot" script? (Or at least, a "hookshot that only stuns enemies with their hookshot defense set to 'stun'" script, anyway.)

#2 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:21 PM

Do you have the handle set to damage things and do you have the whimsical ring in your inventory? It's a wacky theory, but maybe the whimsical ring triggers with other weapons Link holds in front of him like wands and hookshot handles? Also as far as I know the hookshot always stuns enemies and this can't be disabled even with a script. So if you want a non stunning spear you'd have to script the whole item.

#3 FnrrfYgmSchnish

FnrrfYgmSchnish

Junior

• Members

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:13 AM

Yeah... those were the first two possibilities I thought of, too:

I don't have any other items that would be affecting weapon damage

I have "no handle damage" in the item settings checked on, so the handle sprite shouldn't be hitting things.

"No handle damage" is definitely set on, and I don't have the Whimsical Ring... so even if it does happen to affect other items, it couldn't be causing the weirdness here.  The only things I can think of now are either the "no handle damage" checkbox doesn't actually work (at least in... 2.50 Beta 21, which is apparently the version I've been using), or the hookshot just does screwy things whenever it's set to do damage.  Could have something to do with the "chain link" sprites causing damage too (I just looked it up, and the links do apparently hurt enemies in ZC) so sometimes the enemy is getting hit by just the head and other times the head and nearest chain link or two.

Which makes me wonder, does the default 0-power hookshot do the same thing against "damaged by 0-power weapons" enemies that have more than 1 HP, like bats?

Too bad a non-stunning hookshot is a scripts-only sort of thing... setting "damage/stun/both" type by individual items would open up a ton of new possibilities with the item editor.

Edited by FnrrfYgmSchnish, 18 January 2014 - 02:09 AM.

#4 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:58 AM

(Never mind, I suggested something but after trying it, I can see it doesn't work)

Edited by Jamian, 18 January 2014 - 08:01 AM.

#5 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:01 PM

I've been using the hookshot to damage enemies in both my quests. All I can say that it is indeed inconsistent. For one of my quests I'm actually going take advantage of this and list this as its "added effect". On another quest, I simply boosted up the defence of every single enemy in the game so that the hookshot becomes a rather inferior item in the long run (compared to other items).

Let me know what you discover.

#6 FnrrfYgmSchnish

FnrrfYgmSchnish

Junior

• Members

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

Having updated to the stable 2.5 release, all the weirdness of the hookshot (spear) in my quest seems to have disappeared.  It no longer randomly gets one-hit-kills on enemies that should take 3 or more hits, for example.  Damage seems to be pretty consistent now; I haven't noticed anything dying in one or two hits that should take more yet, anyway, and I've tested it out against a lot of Armos, Moblins, Goriyas, and red Lynels.

I've also figured out a way to disable the stun effect without going into scripting: if an enemy has "Damaged by power 0 weapons" checked off, neither the hookshot or boomerang will stun them, regardless of whether those weapons are set to 0 power or not.  So an enemy that blocks boomerangs anyway can safely have "damaged by power 0 weapons" checked off in order to disable hookshot stun without changing the effects of any other weapon.

This makes me wonder about something that could be a possible feature in some distant future version: splitting up the effects of that checkbox into "damaged by power 0 weapons" (which will only have that effect, not the no-stun effect too) and "no default boomerang/hookshot stun" (which would disable the "hard-coded" stun built into those two weapons, allowing an enemy to only be stunned by those weapons if their defense vs. that weapon is set to one of the "stun" options.)

• Jared likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hookshot, item editor, damage, stun, glitch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users