Photo

Screenshot of the Week 96

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

Poll: Pick your favorite screenshot. (67 member(s) have cast votes)

Pick your favorite screenshot.

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 24 July 2005 - 05:49 PM

Last SotW until September?? What's going on that the SotW has to be postponed?

I nulled my vote beacuse none of then seem to catch my eye.. My reasons:
Gashin-Looks good, but it seems that the overuse of the flags got me, as well as the shot seems crammed.
IaN-Nice, but the dirt looks like it's made of plastic. And the size of the enemies makes me disbelieve that they are real enemies--some of their features are the same color as the dirt. And, BTW, you got the sand tiles from Raiden's DoR set.
Kitsune-Gashin's Tails sprite is nice(as for many of his creations) but the picture is unbalanced--everything seems to be off the left. Maybe putting a lone tree and some extra grass on the right can even this out.
Shoelace-Nicely done winter shot, but BH4 and ZeldaLord are right--Why are the trees at the top not snowy? If you're trying to show the likeness of pine trees, I'll be glad to make you some, along with a "snow cover" to not make them look too plain.
zmaster-A good shot, not much to complain here. But unfortunately it seems too basic-- perhaps, just perhaps a few sand-covered floor tiles cas be put in, just to finely finish the screen.

I hope that my assistance can help you in the future, since I'm studying the flow of layouts and art themes on my own in games--to better all future designs. Remember, little details and screen style can make or break a SotW!

#17 IaN

IaN

Warrior

• Members

Posted 24 July 2005 - 06:41 PM

Actually, I got the sand tiles off a screenshot from a SNES game. I think it was SD3, or at least it looked a lot like it. icon_neutral.gif

Just wanted to mention that I love theshot, Gashin, I like the palette and everything icon_smile.gif

#18 Jonathan

Jonathan

Wizard

• Members

Posted 25 July 2005 - 12:20 AM

icon_razz.gif i didnt enter this week
-Null Vote-
Gashin-that shot doesnt seem to be on par with your usual entries
the flags and octroks only caught my eye

IaN-the ground looks...well flat in most areas,did someone suck up most of the loose dirt with a vaccum?

Kitsune-very basic

Shoelace-are those little aquamentuses?also basic

zmaster-again basic

icon_razz.gif i cant wait til SoTY

#19 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 25 July 2005 - 05:07 AM

Gashin:
Hmm... the first screen you showed that used this grass and mountains looked good, but after seeing so much grey at once I'm doubting whether that color of grass looks good for general overworld screens. However, it's entirely a color issue. I have to note that your use of BS mountains is 100% flawless. Excellent. icon_smile.gif icon_thumbsup.gif

Ian:
This is an awesome high quality screen, but I have two issues with it:

1. the ground is too bare in the bottom-left half of the screen.
2. Those enemy sprites are all bigger than 16x16 pixels. That means that they are all either assigned to boss-sized enemies (seems unlikely), or they are custom enemies (seems even less likely), or they were placed manually just for this screenshot.

I don't like thinking they were placed manually because first of all, it means that this screen won't be playable. Secondly, it takes a lot of work resizing enemies down to the standard 16x16 pixels, and I don't like seeing other people get a disadvantage just for finishing the job. icon_shrug.gif

Kitsune:
Great test screen, but it unfortunately looks like a test screen: just trees and grass and a few flowers. The Tails sprite is great, though. Please keep it up and keep entering. icon_smile.gif

One bit of advice: consider putting something beyond the trees. It's nice to see a solid perimeter when you're exploring a wooded area, even if that perimeter is nothing but brush. It helps give a feel for the boundaries of the map.

Shoelace:
A very well-designed, colorful screen; the snow drifts add a lot to the shot and there is plenty happening here; always nice to see. icon_smile.gif I may vote for you, but I'm sad that there's not much chance of catching up to the other entrants. :\

zmaster:
Yes, this is a very nice start. I did have a couple of things to say: first, the floor borders are a little haphazard. That one at the top... why does sand show through it? Hmm.

Secondly, the seashore tiles look great, but I'm not sure I'd have them go full circle and back on themselves. If there isn't enough space in the middle, we'll start to wonder where the water is coming from. Still, a tidal cave is an awesome idea, and I'm sure those tiles will do the job well. icon_smile.gif Great use of Pure!

I haven't decided who to vote for yet. Probably Gashin or Shoelace. I will try to choose soon.

#20 OMEG

OMEG

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 25 July 2005 - 05:52 AM

Close between IaN and Gashin, but I had to go for Gashin.

IaN's wasn't cluttered enough.. The MC characters are nice. The Lufia II enemy in the top left looks out of place, though, in my opinion.

Well, it also helped that Gashin's screen looked edible.

#21 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 25 July 2005 - 06:32 AM

Holy CRAP. Awesome shots this week. I see nothing wrong with any of them, so I'm just gonna make my decision...and that would be IaN.

#22 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 25 July 2005 - 06:59 AM

Null'd. Gashin's just isn't interesting this time, and IaN's lacks tons of detail. icon_neutral.gif

#23 Mariogirl

Mariogirl

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 25 July 2005 - 09:52 AM

I voted for shoelace. I love the winter scene! icon_biggrin.gif

#24 IaN

IaN

Warrior

• Members

Posted 25 July 2005 - 09:54 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jul 25 2005, 06:37 AM)
I don't like thinking they were placed manually because first of all, it means that this screen won't be playable. Secondly, it takes a lot of work resizing enemies down to the standard 16x16 pixels, and I don't like seeing other people get a disadvantage just for finishing the job. icon_shrug.gif

Well, you're half right. The Mummy is used to block off the stairs, he gives you a kick back if you walk up to the tile in front of him. The Ghosts don't do anything in this screenshot, but I'm planning on making a few screens where ghosts come up and warp around a bit. So you are kinda wrong, I guess I could categorize these as custom enemies.

#25 Zenith

Zenith

Old Guard

• Members

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:03 AM

Maybe I oughta put some loose sand on the tiling.

Hey Shoelace, where'd you get the border tiles for your Magic Sword cave anyway? [/offtopic]

#26 HappyPuppet

HappyPuppet

Deified

• Members

Posted 25 July 2005 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE(Linkus Mastii @ Jul 24 2005, 05:49 PM)
Last SotW until September?? What's going on that the SotW has to be postponed?

SotY.

Gashin: Nicely designed and pleasant graphics. I can't really think of a way to improve this one.

IaN: The one thing that irked me was the overuse of a monochromatic ground tile. Any "detail" tiles you have to fix that? icon_razz.gif

Kitsune: Maybe a little bit too much green... some small dirt patches here and there could help. Also, I'm not too partial to the arrangement of the trees. I like that you're breaking the standard checkerboard pattern that everyone uses, but I think it's a bit too... random.

Shoelace: Again, good design, nice graphics. Yours and Gashin's were really close, but I gave you the vote for tile variety.

zmaster: You've got a lot of originality in this one, with the sea going into the temple and all. icon_razz.gif The triforce tiles are nice too. The way the seashore goes, where it never runs into the wall is a little odd though.

#27 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:37 PM

You know, Gashin, I was thinking...
I read the comment with the shot, and now you got that great fast-paced tune stuck inside my head, all credits to you! icon_smile.gif What's even worse is that I took that old, big, clunky GB and put it to my ear just to listen to it for hours when I was young, or until the batteries went dead.
Things like that make you want to disbelieve that you did that and laugh at the same time.

Edited by Linkus Mastii, 26 July 2005 - 03:37 PM.

#28 Alex Trenton

Alex Trenton

• Members

Posted 27 July 2005 - 01:33 AM

Their is just something awesome about Ian's shot that i love.

Wait!

How is it you can make such large monsters?

Unless they are not really even enemy's to begin with.

It would be nice though if you could make larger monsters like that in ZC.

But i love dark images.
Grave yards, old mansions, and so on.

#29 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 27 July 2005 - 01:58 AM

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ Jul 24 2005, 01:12 PM)
Gashin: You have to release those flags... they're really awesome.

Those are also the flags I wanted in that one topic. icon_razz.gif They almost perfectly suit my needs.

#30 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 27 July 2005 - 04:15 AM

Hmmm, I haven't given any input in the SOTW shots for a looooong time, so I should do that this week. icon_biggrin.gif I love SOTW! ^_^

Gashin- I love the set Gashin. It's a very good looking set. Love the Link sprite too. Good screen setup. I've not seen an area like that, so it's very cool. icon_biggrin.gif OMG, it's really a wooden sword! @_@

IaN- Sweeeeeetness. IaN, you rock. Um, I am confused about that mummy though. It's just a little confusing. I love the border around your weapon, and the thing in the map area! It's very cool. I'm liking this shot a lot.

Kitsune- It's teh tails in teh shot! @_@ Not too bad of shot. You know how to make use of different ground tiles which is great!

Shoelace- Love the screen, love the area. SNOW!!! It's always nice seeing snow, while it's summer time. icon_wink.gif I like your falling snow, since it's not huge like the original Pure snow is. You also have the Minimitus, or whatever it's called. KEWL!!! Good shot. icon_biggrin.gif *votes*

zmaster- This is a cool looking screen. Nice use of the water tiles. This is a great original idea you have. icon_wink.gif Cool.

Well, that's all from me. Good work guys. Perhaps sometime I will throw a screen into the SOTW mix. ^_^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users