Photo

Screenshot of the Week 294

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

Poll: ~ (54 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:09 PM

Alestance
IPB Image
Remind me to check if the locals see an "oasis" as a raging river of fire.

Migokalle
IPB Image
Where did all the enemies go you ask? I think I killed them...

Moo2wo
IPB Image

Dawnlight
IPB Image
Link is waiting for Screenshot of the Week to start

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:16 PM

Migo's certainly looks the best, but Moo2wo has the best screen design, so I'm voting for him.

#3 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:28 PM

I voted for Moo2woo.

#4 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:29 PM

Glad we finally got this going again. Alestance obtained my vote here, because....

Migokalle: It's an awesome shot, but its soo dark, it's hard to tell what on earth would be going on there. I would HATE to play on that screen.

Moo2woo: Another great shot, but it just didn't scream to me.

Dawnlight: We all were Link, and now that it has, I'm sorry to say, but your villa isn't the best icon_wink.gif.

Edited by Koh, 25 July 2010 - 10:29 PM.

#5 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:30 PM

Voted for Captain Migo. Part of a beautiful detailed nutritious breakfast. icon_wink.gif

#6 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:34 PM

It's been a long time coming. Good stuff from all four people.

Alestance - 7/10
It's certainly a very unique and interesting setting, and the choices of tiles are very good. One drawback is that I find the rightmost sand at the foot of the cliff to be an awkward transition. And for the sake of realism, the bush closest to the center of the screen and the cacti seem dangerously close to the lava, as they are living quite on the edge there. Lava has a powerful effect on killing life, and thus should keep the plantlife at a distance from it.

Migokalle - 8/10
The detail is very good, no doubt. Top of the line. The main problem is that your talent is often difficult to see, because the shading is a bit too dark. I can barely locate our protagonist too. Any improvements would at best be very subtle ones.

Moo2wo - 8/10
With respect to the ground and the tree distribution, it's a very good screen. Your elevations are also very nice. The only drawback I can find is just that it isn't the most interesting screen. It is certainly a great overworld screen to have in any quest.

Dawnlight - 8/10
Ground details are very good, and tree placement certainly works well. I also love the stepping stones at the entrance, as that is a nice extra touch.

You guys make it hard for me to decide, but that is a good problem to have. If I had to rate to the nearest tenth, I would go with Moo2wo, as it barely has an edge over the others for me.

#7 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:56 PM

Alestance: Not bad, but I don't like your use of sand overlays, particularly against the base of the mountain in the upper right. You're in need of a custom tile or two to acccomplish what you are attempting there. I like the "lavafall," though. Whether water or lava, that bit where it hits the pool looks nice. Where did you get that? Your lava is nice too.

Migokalle:
This could be a nice screen, but the shadowing is so strong that I can't even see most of it. This might work fine within the game, but to our unadjusted eyes it makes a bad screenshot because it's very, very difficult to make anything out.

Moo2wo:
I still don't like shadow-dappled screens for screenshots, but this is a lot easier to see. However, I don't like the labyrinth entrance. The rest of the screen has a bunch of nice, modern-looking (if overused) tiles, and a good palette, but the labyrinth entrance detracts from the look because it looks downright archaic and dated in style.

Dawnlight:
A simple but well-designed screen with a great-looking, well-laid subscreen. Nice tiles, likable palette. The one problem is that it's empty. No enemies, nothing but a house and its yard. But it's easier to imagine myself playing this game, and all the other screenshots this week are pretty empty too... so my vote goes to this shot. icon_smile.gif

#8 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jul 26 2010, 05:56 PM) View Post

Where did you get that? Your lava is nice too.

Ian's tileset has those tiles in there, I took them from there.

#9 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:15 PM

Gah, why does it always have to be so hard to decide? icon_cry.gif

Well, anyway, I think I'm gonna vote for Moo2wo. Nice work on those mountains!

#10 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:11 PM

Voted for Migo. It's a tad dark, but a fairly decent screen.

#11 Supindahood

Supindahood

Wizard

• Members

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:37 PM

Voted for Moo2woo, great design.

Other ones were good too icon_smile.gif

#12 Master Maniac

Master Maniac

Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water.

• Members

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:17 PM

Alestance- You got my vote. Nice screen, well designed. Most of the objects on it fit together fairly well, though that crusted dirt is a tad dark for my liking, and that wall-thing is a tad too smooth to be in a desert, the Lava is what gave you my vote. Very nice icon_wink.gif

Migokalle- Great screen, but very dark, and somewhat depressing.

Moo2wo- Nice screen, used some color variation, but not much... That red rupee is a nice touch, but that's about it on my opinion.

Dawnlight- Screen is well-designed, but doesn't have very much detail (trees are all one color, etc). Nothing really stands out to catch a player's attention. It's a great screen, but not enough to get my vote.

#13 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:34 PM

Alestance - Nice, but a bit bare
Migokalle - this is where detail is overkill, tone it down
Moo2two - perfect balance of detail, structure and balance, voted.
dawnlight - a bit bare

#14 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:59 PM

Yeah I know my screen is not that great. I entered to get SotW going after being inactive for such a long time.

#15 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:01 PM

Alestance: The color feels painfully clashing on the eyes...
Migokalle: A nice screen, but the shadows are too thick in my opinion. I can hardly see things because the palette is so dark...
Moo2wo: Love the gray washed out palette. The shadows and Tail Cave lock block add to the scene.
Dawnlight: This would be great for the first screen of a quest or a town screen, but is hard for me to rate because it feels both active and plain at the same time...hard to explain. icon_wacky.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users