Photo

Screenshot of the Week 289

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

Poll: ~ (65 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:15 AM

I voted for Sheik.

Apparently I'm the only one that really doesn't like Nuvo's screen. It's gotta have something to do with the fact that I'm not that keen on BS in general, but I don't think that's all it is.
Firstly yes Jupiter's screen has quite a lot of clashing styles, but so does Nuvo's - we've just been looking at it for years. Those GB trees do not fit the style of BS Zelda. The overhang and the bushes don't look so bad but they don't really fit very well either.
And then the mountains. I'm not a fan of the style of the mountains in general, but I've spent quite a long time looking at that screen and I just cannot work out in my head how those mountains are supposed to look. And you shouldn't have to spend that long looking at a good screen to work out what's in it as far as I'm concerned.
That strip of mountain in the top right that comes down to a rounded bit should have some tiles (maybe there aren't any?) that connect it to the mountain to the right of it too, that doesn't look so good either.

So yeah, maybe if you found some new trees and bushes and simplified the mountain lay-out a little I'd get on with it better. But that's just me and everyone else seems to like it so it probably doesn't matter.

#17 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:36 AM

QUOTE(Rem @ Apr 26 2010, 10:11 PM) View Post

Voted for Jupiter. The graphics has a bit too much contrast in styles, but I like it.

Thanks Rem! Yes, I decided I was going to clash with impunity. I went a little over the edge with that stone path...

QUOTE(Sheik @ Apr 27 2010, 01:41 AM) View Post

Jupiter: While I do like the idea, my eyes hurt from such style-clash D: Really, nice concept and such, but such clashy graphics all together are evil even in DoR =(

Thanks Sheik. Hopefully you have some Visine handy icon_cry.gif ! Indeed, I decided I was going to fear no evil icon_superevil.gif and not be a stickler on styles being out of sync...and actually for my money the only thing that is bothersome (to me) is the stone path...it clashes enough that it causes some serious problems--but I really wanted to try those tiles out because I like the pattern to them...

The trees are a little flat, but, eh, not enough to make me worry. Thanks for the feedback though.

Jupiter, if I was adding the GB cactii, I would have terrible style-clash again (which I hate). I could use the FS cactii, though, but I was to lazy to rip them I guess. ...actually, I'm not even too sure about the SoD-sand, maybe FS, aLttP, GB or Pure sand would work better here. Dunno.

I had in mind the cacti in this set, which includes the cacti you are using...I really don't think they'd clash with each other, or your set, but I guess it would have to be seen in the shot. I am certain it would not be "terrible", even if a little off. And I think that sand looks just peachy, even if it's possible something else might look better.

QUOTE(Joe123 @ Apr 27 2010, 02:15 AM) View Post

Firstly yes Jupiter's screen has quite a lot of clashing styles, but so does Nuvo's - we've just been looking at it for years.

I think you're saying something I think pretty often here. So far as I can tell, most (or nearly all shots) have some clashing...be it style, or shading, or color, or perspective. But it really sticks out when there are newish tiles. Where we differ is that you seem to still notice this and be bothered by it in Nuvo's shot which has almost all common tiles, whearas, I'm pretty comfortable with it even if it's not perfectly matched...

There is a lot to be said for all the tiles on a screen matching perfectly, but personally I tend to prefer variety to being perfectly in sync. (Even if I went too far in that direction this week icon_freak.gif )

#18 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:13 AM

jimmyb, I'm looking forward to your PM than =3
Jupiter, those cactii might work I guess; good idea. if I decide to actually use this set for something, I might have a look into it, given I need a desert than :O

#19 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:30 AM

QUOTE(Joe123 @ Apr 27 2010, 01:15 AM) View Post

That strip of mountain in the top right that comes down to a rounded bit should have some tiles (maybe there aren't any?) that connect it to the mountain to the right of it too, that doesn't look so good either.

You know what, you are absolutely right. Thanks for pointing that out.

#20 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:28 AM

Nuvos screen just has something i have never seen on a bs screen... extreme detail, votes

#21 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:21 PM

Nuvo. THIS is how you use the BS Tileset.

#22 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:01 PM

Sheik
Nice work. It's a solid screen with nice detail and all. I can't really see anything to complain about. I find it kind of odd that there's flowers and bushes in a desert, but hey, to each their own. icon_smile.gif

Jupiter
Because pink is the most manly colour. icon_razz.gif It looks good. A little clashy, but it doesn't really hurt it any. Mainly with the GB sprites, I guess. icon_razz.gif But seriously, nice work. icon_biggrin.gif

Nuvo
I love how you use the BS set. It's a little confusing, like at the upper point where the mountain is over the statue, but on a whole, I think it looks great. Again, very nice use of the BS set. *Votes*

Yoshidude
It's a solid screen with nothing to really complain about. The water can use more detail, as stated, and Link should be given another tile of walking space on the northern part of the screen, but that's me. Maybe a different palette, but overall, it's nice. Good work. icon_smile.gif

#23 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:18 PM

I vote for Jupiter this time.

#24 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:10 AM

QUOTE(Blaman @ Apr 28 2010, 03:01 AM) View Post

Sheik
Nice work. It's a solid screen with nice detail and all. I can't really see anything to complain about. I find it kind of odd that there's flowers and bushes in a desert, but hey, to each their own. icon_smile.gif

Well, I've been imagining that this Pyramid is some sort of dungeon entrace. It would be almost a part of the Zelda-formula itself that there's some bushes or pots to recover health near a dungeon entrance. So I figured some bushes will do. I still was careful choosing the tiles, because I wanted to have some that look like desert plants. Out of the three I had to choose between, those looked best with their thick leafes and everything. The little flowers next to them are there to make the bushes seem fit a little better, however, they also grow ONLY next to the bushes, so it should look as if there was a spot where plants can grow fairly well (they should also make the screen a little more intersting, namely because it's odd that they grow in a desert). At least that is as much as I figured.

Oh yeah, and thanks fr the feedback ^_^

#25 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:59 PM

Sheik - 8/10
Minus the green slash bushes, it is a very sound desert screen. I love how the little pyramid makes its presence just a little off center, with peahats in the sky, and leevers on the ground. The sand dunes and sharp-edged rocks are worked in well too.

Jupiter - 8/10
Pink grass is pretty unorthodox, but it's still very pleasing. You have me convinced in it. I love those far east style roofs. The cobblestone road is an excellent addition that I have yet to see reproduced any better in Zelda Classic. I personally think that those tree colors work excellently with the shades of purple and pink, and even with the stream nearby.

Nuvo - 8/10
One of the best BS screens I have ever seen. It goes to show what kind of potential such a long standing tileset can have. There is a lot going on here. Any more, and it might have been too much. Great job on the overhang north and center.

Yoshidude - 7/10
Not as great as your tough competition, but hey: It's not bad. It's not as interesting as the others, but it is well put together, with a decent amount of graphics detail. The only part of the screen that is perhaps too simple is the water. Nice job overall.

Such a tough decision. You guys don't make it easy, but that is a good problem to have. In the end, I chose Nuvo, since he was relying less on flashy custom tiles and thus the most on raw integrity, not to say that the other screens lacked it.

#26 jerome

jerome

"Ducks eat for free at Subway"

• Members

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE(HeavyTitanium @ Apr 26 2010, 07:34 PM) View Post

I voted for Jupiter. Looks great, and those Japanese houses are awesome looking.

I second that!!

#27 Alex-Link

Alex-Link

Alex-Link

• Members

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:32 AM

Sheik-the sand looks weird to me...

Jupiter-I love china and chinese stuff, but either way this screenshot is amazing, with beautiful graphics, well done!! icon_thumbsup.gif *vote*

Nuvo-for using the BS tileset, it's a pretty impressive screenshot; however, I don't like how the cliff looks at the top of the screenshot (above Link)

Yoshidude-I agree with Russ, the water needs more detail...

Overall, great screenshots this week!

#28 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:57 PM

Jupiter wins my vote here.

#29 cosmofield

cosmofield

Magical Girl

• Members

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:10 PM

Not easy to choose. Those japanese houses was appealing but I voted for that pyramid-screen, you can almost feel the heating sun in that desert. icon_razz.gif

#30 Yapollo

Yapollo

To Discover

• Members

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:54 PM

Sheik, Jupiter and Nuvo all have very good submissions, but Sheik's desert is amazing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users