• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#31 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:23 PM

There's a warning in the first post that the rants will probably have spoilers. :blah:

Alrighty then...forgot about that. ._.

ANYWAYS, GOOD TO KNOW. XD

#32 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:55 AM

Super Mario 3D Land and Super Mario 3D World

Hey guys, it's been a while. Now, I know what you're thinking, and no, I don't dislike these games. Quite contrary, I enjoy them both, though I enjoy 3D World far more than I do 3D Land, by miles. 3D Land I feel is more of a good starting point than it is a polished product, more of a demo of what they're capable of than it was a completed game, though still a mildly enjoyable one. And 3D World is quite polished and more complete, more fun, more unique than its predecessor, and fun and fresh from beginning to end. Both games are easily worth playing.

But I still have a bone to pick with some of their "finer" features.

Now let's talk about the Galaxy games for a moment. In the original game, after beating the game, you had a nice little bonus of being able to play the game as Luigi, and getting all 120 stars with both brothers netted you the ability to visit a final area. The same was true in the sequel, though arguably it was a far more substantial reward, as this was an actual challenging level, instead of a simple purple coin challenge in the opening area of the game. Arguably the requirements for the first game were a little more annoying, as the final area was... not that interesting. But otherwise, I can see someone getting upset about these requirements for both games, and honestly I think it's just a little annoying as well, but I shrug it off.

Then come 3D Land and 3D World... 

Like I say, these are fun games. 3D World infinitely more so, but they're enjoyable. The levels have their own unique charms, there's some good music involved, and the star coins in 3D Land and green stars in 3D World give a sense of replayability if you endeavor to find them all. Already a nice little touch to give you incentive to explore every world for full completion right? Heh heh heh...

Yeah no.

So at some point in 3D Land you unlock Luigi. Yay Luigi, the older brother with the high jump and the slippery shoes. All the reward you need, right? Nope, turns out Luigi is just a tool to the true holy grail of unlockables in this game: Special 8 Crown. See as it turns out, to unlock this special final level, you are required to beat every single level with both Mario and Luigi. "Galaxy did it, so what?" It's not that simple. You need the star coins too, not a big deal. But there's a new little method of completing the levels that was introduced in this game: Hitting the top of the flagpole turns the flag gold. Neat right? Yeah, hope you like replaying levels until you can hit the top, which depending on how you play can take a while, because you're gonna need those gold flags in every single level if you want that last level. Thank Miyamoto you only need to get the flag with one bro and not both, but holy mother of geez is it annoying, and some say the final level isn't even worth it, though I enjoyed it, but if enough people think that, then damn, is it even worth it?

Final rewards should be worth the effort. So what did 3D World do to improve this? Wait, sorry, I said "improve" instead of FREAKING MADE IT WORSE. Super Mario 3D World has four characters instead of two, with an unlockable and amazing fifth in Rosalina. So you know what that means? Yep, go beat every single level with all five characters to get to full completion. Now see, if you have multiple controllers, it's not as big an issue, as you can actually have extra players drop in at the end of a level and then be quick enough to have all of them grab the flagpole, which will count as having beaten the entire level with that character. But if you're not that lucky? Again, have fun. That's gonna take some time and you might end up hating the game by the end. Let's be fair, at least now you're not required to beat every level with every character to unlock the final area. But you'll still have to get every gold flag, green star, and the new stamp collectible as well, or you won't unlock World Crown!

Screw this game. No no I take that back it's a fun game, I enjoy it. But screw this game for making me do all this for the final area. But hey, if it's worth it, it's okay, right? So is it worth it?

... yes and no. World Crown has three levels. There's a pretty awesome Captain Toad finale, there's a Mystery House marathon with thirty stars, and the final challenge, the Champion's Road. Champion's Road is pretty damn tough but pretty damn good. Even with my constant failed attempts I enjoyed the hell out of it, though I imagine the Gusty Garden Galaxy remix helped that a little. As I said, the Captain Toad finale was awesome, and the Mystery House... it can die. You see it's not enough to master this and Champion's Road with one character, no, all five have to complete these two challenges before the game will consider itself 100% complete. See, the last five stamps in the game? They're character stamps of the playable characters, only unlocked if you beat every level with every character. So much bullshit padding to the game when quite honestly there was plenty of content already to enjoy the game.

As I said, 3D Land and 3D World are a decent game and a pretty good game, respectively, but these decisions are some of the most grueling, painful, baffling decisions in video games in Nintendo's recent history. Perfectly enjoyable games are made less fun by forced padding that just drags out the experience. I suppose to actually get full entertainment you don't actually have to beat every level with every character, it's just for a couple of stamps you'll probably never use. Still, that it's a requirement for the game to be 100% complete is completely aggravating, and once again, the reward isn't worth the effort.

Please don't ever do this again, Nintendo.

• Ventus, Aevin and SirKazuma like this

#33 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:12 AM

Ooo Mario get your ice flower because you got burned.

Interesting read. I personally enjoyed 3D World (I didn't play 3D Land) but the whole 100% completion thing was kinda annoying.

• The Satellite likes this

#34 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:42 AM

I'm not sure I agree that 3D Land felt like some kind of prototype and "not a completed game," but I agree that 100%-ing it was tedious. I thought all the levels in it were cool and interesting, and the special worlds once you unlocked Luigi were a surprising extension of the game with a number of cool twists on gameplay. But playing through each level 2-3 times, when the special world levels already resemble the normal levels ...  It's enough for everything to become really dull.

I really want to play 3D World, but I don't have a Wii U. I'll probably get one later this year for Smash Bros. No, I'm not buying it for just one game. There's lots of games I want to play on it, but Smash Bros is the one that's finally lighting the fire.

Anyway, nice article.

#35 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:10 AM

Yeah no one's forcing you to unlock anything. Why not just wait till you really want to play this again to unlock the other characters? You don't need to 100% the game in a week. The secret level can wait. I don't understand this complaint. Compare this to Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 where you have to beat the game 21 times to unlock all the characters.

#36 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:46 AM

Have you ever meet a completionist before, Fred?

#37 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

I am a completionist. Please don't call me Fred.

#38 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:40 AM

Have you ever meet a completionist before, Fred?

anikom15' name is Westley it is not Fred you are being quite "disrespectful" by doing that. (Sorry for the off topic post everyone go on with your business) 

#39 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

you're going to have a bad time

• Members

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:51 AM

Honestly, I'm really looking forward to your inevitable forthcoming Sonic Lost World rant. :D

anikom15' name is Westley it is not Fred you are being quite "disrespectful" by doing that. (Sorry for the off topic post everyone go on with your business) 

Pretty sure this could've been handled privately.

• The Satellite and Orithan like this

#40 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:51 AM

or Wesley is fine as well.

#41 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:08 PM

Pretty sure this could've been handled privately.

It could have but its already out there, and I apologize for that.

#42 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

I am a completionist. Please don't call me Fred.

Oh, I didn't know, lol. But yeah, I guess it's a bigger deal to some fellow completionists, I guess. I find it annoying due to how many levels in 3D World you have to redo once you find out about this, though. There's no hints either, the game expects you to 100% it thoroughly to proceed.

Okay Eastley, I promise I won't call you that.

#43 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:19 PM

But playing through each level 2-3 times, when the special world levels already resemble the normal levels ...  It's enough for everything to become really dull.

That's exactly one of the main problems with it and I probably should have talked about in more detail. 3D World has these as well, and while some of them put a little more unique challenge on them, there was still the hidden issue of replaying more levels that were ones you'd already played through probably multiple times already. 3D World has fewer of them thankfully, but then you get to the Mystery House marathon and suddenly you miss the "remixed" levels... :sweat:

Yeah no one's forcing you to unlock anything. Why not just wait till you really want to play this again to unlock the other characters? You don't need to 100% the game in a week. The secret level can wait. I don't understand this complaint. Compare this to Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 where you have to beat the game 21 times to unlock all the characters.

If I left the final area locked, it would bug me that there's a part of the game I left incomplete. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would feel this way. Plus, all the other levels that aren't in the final area are unlocked as you progress, in typical Mario progression, so I was already on my way to the end of the game regardless of how many people I beat it with or how many levels I got the gold flag on. Oh, and only one character is unlockable, and she just joins your party after beating one of the extra levels. So to suddenly hit that wall and know I have to be completionist on every level to get there can frustrate people, though I was already hunting for collectibles along the way. Then there's that final requirement to consider the game done that just irks me and I have to complete it. It's how I am.

What was that about THPS3? Something about beating the game multiple times to unlock everything? Can't hear you over the sound of "that's stupid, let me enter this cheat code here"... :heh: (this is probably also one of the reasons I like Pro Skater 4 the most)

Honestly, I'm really looking forward to your inevitable forthcoming Sonic Lost World rant. :D

I'll be honest, that probably won't happen unless things go really sour. So far I can't summon any hatred, just "this game is so pretty and looks like it would be fun to play... if the physics weren't garbage." So unless there's a massive dip in quality, a rant regarding Lost World probably isn't in the future, at least not from me.

#44 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:23 PM

So what about Sonic 06? :)

#45 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:25 PM

So what about Sonic 06? :)

That would be pure torture to play and write about, I'm sorry but there is nothing the whole world that is worse then that piece of crap Action 52 was even better then it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users