Just a reminder: I'm a newcomer!  :lol:

#17 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:12 PM

Just a reminder: I'm a newcomer!  :lol:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Impossibru!

#18 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:28 PM

I have 2 questions. First off, are banned members allowed to be nominated in a category? Second, when someone participates in nominating someone/people, do they have to nominate someone in every category or can they choose what ones they want to nominate someone/something in?

#19 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:54 PM

but what is a sexy beast ???  :confused:

Sexy Beast is a silly category that has been around for a while now, even longer than I have been on the forum! Basically, nominate/vote someone you think deserves the title. That's all there is to it, I think. It's a lot of fun seeing the campaign videos flood the forum, they will tell you all you need to know.  :P

• Joelmacool likes this

#20 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 16 December 2015 - 11:26 PM

It was this way last year, too. The idea is that instead of recognizing a specific person, we'd rather recognize the accomplishments. "Scripter of the Year" is meant to be covered by "Enemy of the Year," "Custom Boss of the Year" and "Custom Item of the Year," while "Composer of the Year" is covered under "Music of the Year." It does sort of overlook more general scripts, but I feel we did the best we could to be inclusive while keeping the number of categories trimmed to a manageable size.

Best item/enemy/whatever isn't script-exclusive. In fact, the list doesn't even contain the word 'script', in either category, essentially ignoring a gigantic range of what is now ZC innovation.

List Changes

You do pretty much cover LPs twice though. Best broadcaster, and best LP of the year. Do we need both? 'Best LP' comes down to how much you like the broadcaster, and their style... If you want best LP, which is a general thing, not a ZC thing, it belongs under 'general', along with best broadcaster. It seems as if you're more focused on having both parent-categories be an even number of attributes, than on what fits in them, and I've no idea why.

Some of the categories on the general side, are also pretty much filler. (I'm looking at you, 'Non-ZC Project of the Year'.) Hell, 'Sexy Beast' doesn't even mean anything.

I'd reword 'Highest-Quality Posts' to 'Most Useful Posts'. I believe that's the intent.

Likewise, you have 'Newcomer of the Year' and 'Most Promising Newcomer'. That's duplication.

'Most Missed Member' is another thing I'd ultimately like to see, for members who left, or ...are otherwise no longer around.

..as is 'Quest Contributor/Advisor' of the year, for quest contributions.

What is the intent of 'Most Artistic Member', and is it covered by a combination of the other categories?

Have we had more than one full tileset released in 2015? If not, then the category is superfluous, and Koten would win by default.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 16 December 2015 - 11:57 PM.

#21 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 16 December 2015 - 11:49 PM

The enemy, item and boss categories don't refer explicitly to scripted ones, but still cover scripted content fairly broadly. As for the newcomer awards, one refers to a new forum member, and the other to showing potential in ZC work. Perhaps they could be reworded to  clarify that.

#22 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 17 December 2015 - 12:08 AM

Koten wasn't released in 2015. I checked and the last tileset submitted was Instrumentality back in 2014. I brought this up a page ago. A lot of tilesets have updated during 2015 however, maybe that's something to consider. Or maybe open it up for any upcoming tileset?

Also "artistic" can imply multiple things outside ZC, such as writing, general music, etc. (Also sorry if answering questions is only for Staff members here, but I just wanted to point out stuff Aevin might of missed.)

#23 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:30 AM

The enemy, item and boss categories don't refer explicitly to scripted ones, but still cover scripted content fairly broadly. As for the newcomer awards, one refers to a new forum member, and the other to showing potential in ZC work. Perhaps they could be reworded to  clarify that.

That's just my point. Most games now, at least the big ones, would be nothing without the scripters that made them possible. Script design is long, tedious, and often frustrating work, and there are seven or eight people on the forum that slave away doing it for many, many members. It's as important a category as music, map design, and story.

It's no less important than spriting, or dungeon design; and the most painstaking scripts to create, aren't enemies, items, or MacGuffins. They're the underpinnings on which all these things rely (game mechanics). Things like working day and night systems, that don't glitch out left, right, and centre. They may sound simple, but they're truly a pain in the arse, especially when you need to integrate them with lots of other 'jank'.

Even simple things like puzzles that are used often, or Moosh's jump/leaf script, or special ffc tricks, are critical to many quests that would be far less awesome without them; so it just feels as if you're leaving out a vital part of the community by not including at least a Scripter, or Script of the year category, in favour of something like a secondary 'newcomer' entry. I also think these would both be fun and meaningful categories, for this sort of thing.

..and no, I don't expect to win either of those. In fact, I expect not to be nominated for anything, (which is fine), as most of what I do tends to be less visible to the general public, quite intentionally. I'd put money on Moosh winning though. (I'd win Editorial of the Year, if that was a thing.)

My suggestion would be to merge both 'newcomer' cats into one, under general, and add Scripter of the Year to the ZC cat. Or add it somewhere, even if it means replacing something more traditional, as it really is a big thing on which many people dedicate a great deal of time that they might otherwise use for more personally-practical things. (This is also why I feel that 'Contributor of the Year' would be a far more meaningful title than some of the others, as it's a way to make some of the people that spend more time doing things for everyone else, than themselves, feel a little better about it.)

The LP thing is sort of odd too, as I said, you have it split between categories. If the ZC cat LP vote, is strictly for LPs of ZC quests, and the 'general' broadcaster cat does not need to be specific to ZC LPs, those should be clarified by making the other 'Best ZC LP'.

With tilesets, I thought that 'Koten' was completed early this year, however, that it was not, proves that I have no sense of time whatsoever. If there is no new tileset this year, then the category has far less value. It would also allow something made in the past, to be a 'x of the year', possibly winning again this year, if it did last. That's something to think about. I don't really think that minor updates should make something qualify as being new, there.

So, perhaps drop that one for the year?

If 'Sexy Beast' has no meaning, perhaps just make it its own damned full category, and make room on the roster for something that actually does make sense? (Clearly, it has no definition, and is meant as a joke.)

'Most Artistic' needs some definition, and I have no clue what 'Non-ZC Project of the Year' is supposed to mean. Do maths proofs count there? How about automotive restoration? Business start-ups? Sports team participation? Building Big Ben out of toothpicks? It's pretty vague.

Regarding Nominations

May we nominate more than one person for a single position, to add them to the polls; or does a nomination count as a vote, as well?

Should we specify our reasons for the nomination, or just plug in a name?

Should we even be nominating anyone, now?

I have 2 questions. First off, are banned members allowed to be nominated in a category? Second, when someone participates in nominating someone/people, do they have to nominate someone in every category or can they choose what ones they want to nominate someone/something in?

Who the flidd would you nominate, that's a banned member? I guess Tamamo is banned for the present, and she could be nominated for something, but what point would there be to earn a prestige title, if you don't even know about it; or can't thank anyone? Temp bans would mostly be over by the time the poll opens.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 17 December 2015 - 06:38 AM.

#24 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

you're going to have a bad time

• Members

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:21 AM

That's just my point. Most games now, at least the big ones, would be nothing without the scripters that made them possible. Script design is long, tedious, and often frustrating work, and there are seven or eight people on the forum that slave away doing it for many, many members. It's as important a category as music, map design, and story.

It's no less important than spriting, or dungeon design; and the most painstaking scripts to create, aren't enemies, items, or MacGuffins. They're the underpinnings on which all these things rely (game mechanics). Things like working day and night systems, that don't glitch out left, right, and centre. They may sound simple, but they're truly a pain in the arse, especially when you need to integrate them with lots of other 'jank'.

Even simple things like puzzles that are used often, or Moosh's jump/leaf script, or special ffc tricks, are critical to many quests that would be far less awesome without them; so it just feels as if you're leaving out a vital part of the community by not including at least a Scripter, or Script of the year category, in favour of something like a secondary 'newcomer' entry. I also think these would both be fun and meaningful categories, for this sort of thing.

..and no, I don't expect to win either of those. In fact, I expect not to be nominated for anything, (which is fine), as most of what I do tends to be less visible to the general public, quite intentionally. I'd put money on Moosh winning though. (I'd win Editorial of the Year, if that was a thing.)

My suggestion would be to merge both 'newcomer' cats into one, under general, and add Scripter of the Year to the ZC cat. Or add it somewhere, even if it means replacing something more traditional, as it really is a big thing on which many people dedicate a great deal of time that they might otherwise use for more personally-practical things. (This is also why I feel that 'Contributor of the Year' would be a far more meaningful title than some of the others, as it's a way to make some of the people that spend more time doing things for everyone else, than themselves, feel a little better about it.) I am not opposed to this, but would like to hear other people's opinions as well. Anyone else feel free to chime in on this one.

The LP thing is sort of odd too, as I said, you have it split between categories. If the ZC cat LP vote, is strictly for LPs of ZC quests, and the 'general' broadcaster cat does not need to be specific to ZC LPs, those should be clarified by making the other 'Best ZC LP'. We have a lot of people who stream or do LPs on these forums and as a result we have these categories to reflect their contributions to the community. I don't see this as superfluous.

With tilesets, I thought that 'Koten' was completed early this year, however, that it was not, proves that I have no sense of time whatsoever. If there is no new tileset this year, then the category has far less value. It would also allow something made in the past, to be a 'x of the year', possibly winning again this year, if it did last. That's something to think about. I don't really think that minor updates should make something qualify as being new, there.

So, perhaps drop that one for the year? After discussion with staff, quests, tilesets, etc do not have to have been submitted to the database to be included in this discussion. I believe we do have a couple that haven't been 100% completed that would be perfectly eligible votes as a result, as Shane was indicating.

If 'Sexy Beast' has no meaning, perhaps just make it its own damned full category, and make room on the roster for something that actually does make sense? (Clearly, it has no definition, and is meant as a joke.) It's been a very long running joke, I think originating back in '07 or '08. I'm not opposed to retiring the category, though I think I would like a reasonable suggestion for a replacement from the community. The replacement doesn't have to be a joke, it can be something relevant that people feel is missing.

'Most Artistic' needs some definition, and I have no clue what 'Non-ZC Project of the Year' is supposed to mean. Do maths proofs count there? How about automotive restoration? Business start-ups? Sports team participation? Building Big Ben out of toothpicks? It's pretty vague. We have topics here on the forums where people have submitted poetry, drawings, music, and other forms of artistic expression. Since these are forum superlatives, those would be examples of what people normally look for in this category.

Regarding Nominations

May we nominate more than one person for a single position, to add them to the polls; or does a nomination count as a vote, as well? After nominations close, all people/quests/scripts/etc nominated for a category will be put into a poll and final voting will open up a couple days later.

Should we specify our reasons for the nomination, or just plug in a name? You just submit your nomination for that category. These nominations are only seen by staff, so justification isn't really necessary.

Should we even be nominating anyone, nowAs stated in the original post, nominations will be open on January 1st. This is just a discussion about the list.

You may be getting just a tad bit worked up over this.  You do know that we've been doing these Superlatives for years, correct? And that this exact list was used last year? And that the year before a very similar list was used? I mean, I'm not saying there's no way to improve it, but try to keep in mind that these weren't just picked randomly out of a hat. I've tried to address some of your comments above in bold, but I'd again like to point you to what I said before: we are trying to keep both General and Zelda Classic to 20 categories each, so we're looking to replace, not add or subtract. I know you offered a replacement in the case of the Newcomer category, but for the other suggestions keep this in mind as well.

For the sake of discussion, just to make sure everyone, such as newcomers, are aware of what the Superlatives are, it's basically like yearbook titles that you saw in school. The contest isn't meant to be a life-or-death brawl for a title, it's a fun little thing we've been doing here on PureZC for years and gives the community a chance to recognize one another's efforts over the last year.

• Dawnlight, Shane, Eddy and 1 other like this

#25 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:28 AM

Do you really need to have this Superlative title to show to the community that you are a great scripter?
  • Shane and Jared like this

#26 Nimono

Nimono

Ultra Miyoa Extraordinaire!

• Members

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:39 AM

At the same time, though, you do have to admit that the most important part of those scripts isn't that a specific person made them, but that they were made at all. We really should be celebrating the works more than the creators, because... Well, let's look at it this way: If you see a script by Moosh win "Best Script of the Year", wouldn't you think "Gosh, he must be an amazing scripter :D"? Not "scripter of the year", but more like "scripter of the forever" :P Does that make sense?

#27 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:14 AM

I'd say to replace Tileset of the Year with Script of the Year. You are leaving out a pretty large part of the community for the sake of having DoR Hybrid be the automatic winner, seeing how it was the only tileset released this year (unless you count Kivitoe's low-rated tileset, and the possibility of Joel releasing his tileset on time, and hell, this is only an *update* to DoR that was released). Script of the Year feels like it should have a place in the superlatives.

#28 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:19 AM

But... again no tilesets were released this year. :P I wanna propose to include upcoming and updated tilesets too. After all there's a few that's coming out and have been updated. Scripts have been sorta covered (and more broadly) by other areas I believe as mentioned.

#29 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:19 AM

I'd say to replace Tileset of the Year with Script of the Year. You are leaving out a pretty large part of the community for the sake of having DoR Hybrid be the automatic winner, seeing how it was the only tileset released this year (unless you count Kivitoe's low-rated tileset, and the possibility of Joel releasing his tileset on time, and hell, this is only an *update* to DoR that was released). Script of the Year feels like it should have a place in the superlatives.

DoR Hybrid was submitted last year though :P

#30 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:21 AM

DoR Hybrid was submitted last year though :P

and hell, this is only an *update* to DoR that was released).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users