• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 27 March 2016 - 05:29 PM

Today marks the 10th Anniversary of The Hero of Dreams!!!  That is basically half of your life for most PureZC newcomers. lol

I am really happy that my game was very well received and I really hope that my next games will surpass everyone's expectations.  I know for my 5 year anniversary, I added some things to the game and such.  However, before anyone says it, I currently not planning on making a update for the 2.5.  My main focus is my new games like Chapters of Enova.  The only way, I would consider that is if someone took the reigns on it, because I think everyone would agree, it is time to move on to a new title.  In which, I will be showing off some Chapters of Enova stuff next month.  :)

Again, thank you everyone for playing my game.  I really tried to make a good game for everyone to enjoy, that felt like a Zelda game.  I am so glad that my game got a lot of newcomers to this site because I really love the community of PureZC.  It will forever be my HomePage.  Also, I promise you, I will not disappoint with my next games.  You will be hearing a lot of news in the near future.

From the wacky Trailer, to my commercials, it has been a fun experience.  Thank you!

• Magi_Hero, Rambly, Anthus and 12 others like this

#2 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 27 March 2016 - 05:43 PM

Well, it has been a while I guess! You keep talking about your game projects in plural, I personally have only heard of the Chapters of Enova project. What else is on the table?

#3 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 27 March 2016 - 05:50 PM

Hard to believe it's been that long, and it's almost been that long for me on PureZC as well. I picked a good year to join, huh? Still, here's looking forward to the future, and hoping you can bring even more awesome adventures to the table!

#4 ms_zelda_lady

ms_zelda_lady

Warrior

• Members

Posted 27 March 2016 - 05:51 PM

Wow Shoelace 10 years already congrats!! I love that quest and I am so looking forward to playing Chapters of Enova.

#5 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 27 March 2016 - 06:05 PM

I guess I should mark Hero of Dreams as a quest I'll be streaming soon. Last year I revisited Shattered Courage for it's 10 year anniversary. I almost missed it. This year I can stream Hero of Dreams.

While I did stream and beat Hero of Dreams last year, I was not satisfied with the fact that I did not record and archive my playthrough on youtube, and I'm kinda sad about that. But this year I'll be able to redeem myself. 

Consider this quest high on my priority list now

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 27 March 2016 - 06:07 PM.

#6 Soma C.

Soma C.

Mr. Coreaix

• Members

Posted 27 March 2016 - 07:56 PM

Congrats on the 10 years, dude!  That would have made me 18 lol.  A fair bit before I visited this site for the first time, but ah well!  Very glad I discovered Hero of Dreams when I did, as it to this day remains my top favorite ZC quest!  I imagine when Chapters is released, it'll proudly take HoD's place, but we'll see lol.  Your series is shaping up to be ridiculously epic; just remember to take your time!  You spent so long figuring up Chapters' beautiful tileset blend for a reason :)  Quality over quantity, man ;)

In the meantime, I'm one happy individual knowing that I discovered and played such a fantastic game, rivaled only by Nintendo's best (and maybe not even them lol)

• Shoelace likes this

#7 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 27 March 2016 - 08:18 PM

As much as I digged HoD when I originally played it, what, 7 or 8 years ago? I really can't say that it holds up to other more modern projects. If I were to go back and play it now I'd probably be disappointed in all the short sights in the design.
  • Deedee likes this

#8 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:42 PM

Well, it has been a while I guess! You keep talking about your game projects in plural, I personally have only heard of the Chapters of Enova project. What else is on the table?

Well, I have mentioned that I want to release my series.  Chapters I think will be the first to be released.  The other game was the Eye of the Moon.  If and when that games becomes really enough to show details, I will show it. :)  But Chapters probably will be hitting the market first. :P

Hard to believe it's been that long, and it's almost been that long for me on PureZC as well. I picked a good year to join, huh? Still, here's looking forward to the future, and hoping you can bring even more awesome adventures to the table!

Right!  Man, I remember the years of 2004-2008 of quests.  That was when I was really active on the forum.  Man, so many great games.  I feel like we hit the new era of ZC gaming in 2014, and I really can't wait to see all of these great quests be released.

I guess I should mark Hero of Dreams as a quest I'll be streaming soon. Last year I revisited Shattered Courage for it's 10 year anniversary. I almost missed it. This year I can stream Hero of Dreams.

While I did stream and beat Hero of Dreams last year, I was not satisfied with the fact that I did not record and archive my playthrough on youtube, and I'm kinda sad about that. But this year I'll be able to redeem myself. 

Consider this quest high on my priority list now

Awesome!  I shall be watching!

Congrats on the 10 years, dude!  That would have made me 18 lol.  A fair bit before I visited this site for the first time, but ah well!  Very glad I discovered Hero of Dreams when I did, as it to this day remains my top favorite ZC quest!  I imagine when Chapters is released, it'll proudly take HoD's place, but we'll see lol.  Your series is shaping up to be ridiculously epic; just remember to take your time!  You spent so long figuring up Chapters' beautiful tileset blend for a reason :)  Quality over quantity, man ;)

In the meantime, I'm one happy individual knowing that I discovered and played such a fantastic game, rivaled only by Nintendo's best (and maybe not even them lol)

Thanks, I hope that Chapters turns out to be great.  I polished a the tileset a little more this week.  I am really happy on the way the game is turning out.  And yes, I am glad my game can be better than some real zelda games... Triforce Heroes right? :P

As much as I digged HoD when I originally played it, what, 7 or 8 years ago? I really can't say that it holds up to other more modern projects. If I were to go back and play it now I'd probably be disappointed in all the short sights in the design.

That's basically something you can say about any games.  The Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros. 3 were great games when they were first released, but if they were released nowadays, it won't hold up.  Kinda like how I loved Search for Elise and Isle of the Winds or Hidden Duality, however, if they were released today, it wouldn't have stood out as well because of the features and such.  :P  Now, I know there are some design elements that I would change in HoD, but I think that is one of the reasons why I don't want to remake the game.  It is a product of 2006 and how I designed.  I am much better nowadays. :)

• Matthew and Soma C. like this

#9 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:46 PM

Regardless of how old your quest is, it's a token of the community, and congrats on the 10 year anniversary!
  • Shoelace likes this

#10 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 27 March 2016 - 10:50 PM

The Hero of Dreams still stands out today, it has something really important that the majority of quests lack: a balance of quality between overworlds and dungeons. Today, there are many quests with cool features, but very few can immerse you into a world like the Hero of Dreams. I think he captured the essence of a modern Zelda, but at the same time, he put his soul into the game and in the process he made it really unique, crazy... and weird... and that's part of the charm xD

• Rambly, Shoelace and Soma C. like this

#11 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 27 March 2016 - 10:55 PM

Hero of Dreams isn't just a quest, it's an icon of Zelda Classic. Regardless of people's feelings towards the quest, it stands out as probably the single most noteworthy quest ever released when you think of ZC.

I'm greatly looking forward to Chapters.
  • Shoelace, The Satellite, Air Luigi and 3 others like this

#12 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:10 AM

Ah yes, Hero of Dreams. My first quest ever, and my introduction to all things Zelda Classic, and what an introduction it was. Still one of my favorite fan games ever, and, in my opinion, on par with some official Zelda titles. I've gotta replay it some time...

Happy Birthday, Hero of Dreams~! Can't wait for your sequel/prequel/whatever the fuck ^ -^

• Shoelace likes this

#13 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 28 March 2016 - 04:51 AM

That's basically something you can say about any games.  The Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros. 3 were great games when they were first released, but if they were released nowadays, it won't hold up.  Kinda like how I loved Search for Elise and Isle of the Winds or Hidden Duality, however, if they were released today, it wouldn't have stood out as well because of the features and such.  :P  Now, I know there are some design elements that I would change in HoD, but I think that is one of the reasons why I don't want to remake the game.  It is a product of 2006 and how I designed.  I am much better nowadays. :)

mmm, well, I guess it depends on how you see things. I don't really have any nostalgia for NES games since I never played them as a child, but I can still go back and enjoy many of them. There are of course products of their time, such as the limited audio and limited visuals. But the 2D sidescrolling platforming genre has not evolved that much since super mario brothers 3, and I can still enjoy it for what it is. I mean, compared to new super mario brothers on the original DS, there really isn't that much of a difference between the titles. Sure, they both have different physics and graphics, but most of the design principles are the same. But there are of course the other side of the coin, the original super mario brothers, which I find completely archaic. I can respect it for what it does, much like zelda 1 and metroid 1, but it's not a title I'd enjoy going back to and playing.

There are quite a few things that has happened within the zelda classic community over ten years, that's for sure. But in the grand scheme of things, very little has also happened. If a quest 10 years ago was well designed then it would stand the test of time, because frankly there haven't been any ground breaking changes in how you design a good game of this type. :P
Yes, a more modern quest today could have a lot of fancy scripts that improve the quest, but if the core design is crap then the quest is still crap. What I think has happened is not that old quests have gotten worse or aged somehow, rather, that the community as a whole has grown to get a better understanding of what is good. For example, if the best thing made with an engine is terrible then that sucks, but since it's the best thing made to date then that's the standard everything else is held too, regardless of if that standard is low or not. :P
This is why people are, in practice, much harsher with their quest ratings nowadays, (and why ratings in the database kinda don't work...), a lot of practices that were common in the past or acceptable oversights are considered major sins today.

I see quests like HoD and Lost isle as benchmarks for past standards, they have a lot of flaws, but they also pushed the ZC community forward; and if nothing else then that's something to celebrate.

Edited by Lunaria, 28 March 2016 - 05:18 AM.

• Orithan likes this

#14 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:21 AM

Congrats on securing 1st place for 10 years :P

Sucks that I never managed to beat the quest due to some compatibility crap in Level 5, but it definitely was an amazing mark in the community and one of these days I'll definitely go back and try to beat HoD. Looking forward to Chapters of Enova too!

• Shoelace likes this

#15 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:01 PM

The Hero of Dreams still stands out today, it has something really important that the majority of quests lack: a balance of quality between overworlds and dungeons. Today, there are many quests with cool features, but very few can immerse you into a world like the Hero of Dreams. I think he captured the essence of a modern Zelda, but at the same time, he put his soul into the game and in the process he made it really unique, crazy... and weird... and that's part of the charm xD

Thanks!  That truly means a lot. :)

Hero of Dreams isn't just a quest, it's an icon of Zelda Classic. Regardless of people's feelings towards the quest, it stands out as probably the single most noteworthy quest ever released when you think of ZC.

I'm greatly looking forward to Chapters.

It just reminds me that their are gamers of different thoughts.  Today's newer gamers seem more spoiled, but that isn't a bad thing, they just were born in a time where the bar was set really high to begin with.  Having got used to that at an early age, they critic a little bit more at small things instead of actually enjoying the game.  Maybe that's just what the internet created.  It is not a bad thing, but it just isn't the way I play games.

Ah yes, Hero of Dreams. My first quest ever, and my introduction to all things Zelda Classic, and what an introduction it was. Still one of my favorite fan games ever, and, in my opinion, on par with some official Zelda titles. I've gotta replay it some time...

Happy Birthday, Hero of Dreams~! Can't wait for your sequel/prequel/whatever the fuck ^ -^

Thank ya!  I am glad I could get some awesome people to the world of Zelda Classic!

mmm, well, I guess it depends on how you see things. I don't really have any nostalgia for NES games since I never played them as a child, but I can still go back and enjoy many of them. There are of course products of their time, such as the limited audio and limited visuals. But the 2D sidescrolling platforming genre has not evolved that much since super mario brothers 3, and I can still enjoy it for what it is. I mean, compared to new super mario brothers on the original DS, there really isn't that much of a difference between the titles. Sure, they both have different physics and graphics, but most of the design principles are the same. But there are of course the other side of the coin, the original super mario brothers, which I find completely archaic. I can respect it for what it does, much like zelda 1 and metroid 1, but it's not a title I'd enjoy going back to and playing.

There are quite a few things that has happened within the zelda classic community over ten years, that's for sure. But in the grand scheme of things, very little has also happened. If a quest 10 years ago was well designed then it would stand the test of time, because frankly there haven't been any ground breaking changes in how you design a good game of this type. :P
Yes, a more modern quest today could have a lot of fancy scripts that improve the quest, but if the core design is crap then the quest is still crap. What I think has happened is not that old quests have gotten worse or aged somehow, rather, that the community as a whole has grown to get a better understanding of what is good. For example, if the best thing made with an engine is terrible then that sucks, but since it's the best thing made to date then that's the standard everything else is held too, regardless of if that standard is low or not. :P
This is why people are, in practice, much harsher with their quest ratings nowadays, (and why ratings in the database kinda don't work...), a lot of practices that were common in the past or acceptable oversights are considered major sins today.

I see quests like HoD and Lost isle as benchmarks for past standards, they have a lot of flaws, but they also pushed the ZC community forward; and if nothing else then that's something to celebrate.

I disagree with Super Mario Bros. 3 and 2-D platforming not evolving, but that's another story.

But I did want to comment that I actually disagree with the "Quest Ratings are much harsher nowadays".  Yes, there I do think people are more "picky" nowadays, but I actually think Hero of Dreams would have did just fine with today's ratings.  I have mentioned before that I have some issues with some of the design direction of my game.  For example, I wasn't a fan of my Level 2, and I thought I could have built certain areas differently.  I think you will hear this with any creator.  People see the flaws in any game, just like people saw the flaws in Ocarina of Time.  Known as the best game ever.  But the boat that you are missing is the game in general.

The reason why my game did so well was because of the experience I created.  It was well balanced, it was polished where it needed to be, the story is still very well standing up against any quest yet, and I stayed true to the game.  If you play through a level, you know you are playing The Hero of Dreams.  I went in every area and asked, "why?  Why is this here." Nothing that I built didn't have meaning to my game.  People will look past Level 2 or choppy boss work, because the experience is still really high.  That is what I am proud of in my game.  The feeling that I get when I play it, I remember the passion I had, creating it.  It still holds true with games today:  People will look past the scripts, they will look past the mistakes, they will look past bosses, or bad puzzles.  Just as long as they got a huge experience and transferred themselves into their world, they will like the game.  That is why, I tell people to ask "Why?", I tell people to polish, polish, polish.  Because it will make the quest memorable, even if you mess up a Level 2.  One of my latest examples is Isle of Rebirth.  I think the game is too hard, and it was frustrating.  However, I was in love with the world that it created.  And it is one of my favorite quests!  Same with Ocarina of Time... known as the best game ever, and this even with the Water Temple.

Take a look at the top quests on the site.  If your theory was right, all of the older quests should still be dominating the Top Ten.  But they are not!  But now look at the list and think about the experience and world it had.  Every one of those games in that page, play different.  They feel different.  They have a different and amazing experiences.  No matter what the script, puzzle, characters, are... the more you get from game, the higher they are.

Congrats on securing 1st place for 10 years :P

Sucks that I never managed to beat the quest due to some compatibility crap in Level 5, but it definitely was an amazing mark in the community and one of these days I'll definitely go back and try to beat HoD. Looking forward to Chapters of Enova too!

Compatibility... I'm sorry.  This is probably the only reason why I am like... maybe I should make it for 2.5 (for those that can't play it because of 2.10).

• Eddy and Evan20000 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users