Zelda's Last Wish

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:22 PM

After traversing Hyrule to collect the eight fragments of the Triforce of Wisdom, Link defeated Ganon and saved Zelda.
However, Ganon's minions still littered the realm of Hyrule. Without a leader, they went on a rampage and destroyed most of what was left of Hyrule's civilization before they were stopped by the descendants of the seven sages.
They gave their lives to stop this rampage. Even Zelda gave her life to quell the onslaught.
Before she died, she passed the Triforce of Wisdom to Link. Now, Link has the whole triforce. He wished for Ganon's leftover minions to vanish and to seal Hyrule off from the rest of the world.
But, the gods did not grant his wishes for he was too young.
However, they said that could still grant his wishes if he passed all the goddesses' trials. There were seven trials in all, representing each of the seven sages.
A trial of light, nature, fire, water, spirit and shadow were all contained in various dungeons across Hyrule. They said that these six first trials could be tackled in any order. The last trial, Zelda's trial, could only be opened after completing the first six trials and collection each of the six sages' gems.
These trials will test Link's abilities to express the powers of Courage, Wisdom and Power within him. This will not be an easy task because these trials are inhabited by guardians created by the gods themselves. If he completes them, they will grant his wishes.

~ ORIN XD PRESENTS ~

The Legend of Zelda: Zelda's Last Wish

Download the 98% beta here (Ver. 0.06).

Use ZC 2.5 to play it.

It is roughly the same size as Z1. The entire overworld and the first 6 levels are in the beta.

This is a very exploration-oriented quest. Expect to be exploring the overworld for lots of goodies, including items like the Blue Ring and Bracelet.

Constructive feedback and criticism is always welcome.

Screeshots:
IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB Image

Edited by Orin XD, 28 December 2012 - 05:47 AM.

#2 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:16 PM

icon_smile.gif

I downloaded the file and i try it out . looks good icon_thumbsup.gif

#3 Giggidy

Giggidy

We live for chaos so that we may die for ourselves.

• Banned

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:03 AM

This quest... Just, ugh. I think I need a drink.

So, you start up the game and you're asked to choose between the blue ring and the sword. Now, you've said in IRC that the blue ring is supposed to be "expert mode" but wouldn't "expert mode" be not taking *either*?

When I head to the left and entered the cave, I meet an old man who says "Take these 30 rupees to help you buy the shield." "Okay" I say, "I'll just find the shop and get the shield."

Still haven't found that shop. And by god man, the first LoZ starts you off with the wooden shield for a fucking reason. Combat against creatures with ranged attacks (like just about everything in this demo) is really unfair without one.

The first problem I noticed with this game is a quite pervasive one: the screens are just way, way too cramped and packed with shit. This makes it damn-near impossible to actually dodge anything, which is the only way to avoid damage since you don't have a shield. The projectile spam doesn't help.

The second problem is... the traps. Like this one:

IPB Image
Aren't you glad you wasted a bomb to get here?

IPB Image
Or here?

Worst of all bombs are absolutely necessary to progress. I actually ran out, had to leave level 2, then come back with more bombs to use.

And then there's the boss room:

IPB Image
For some reason ZC glitched and didn't show the two Aquamentuses here.

You have no way to block the fireballs and it's too damned crowded to dodge effectively. With only 3 hearts (where the hell IS level 1, by the way?) I was forced to use up my bombs to kill them. I'd never have been able to kill them with just my sword in a million years.

But the problems only get worse and worse. I finally finish level 2 and start looking for a new dungeon. My search continues fruitlessly for well over 30 minutes before I finally find something I can actually interact with, level 4.

I fucking hate level 4. Why? This screenshot of the first room you encounter there sums it up pretty well:

IPB Image
What the fuck IS that item up there anyway? I wanna say it's a map, but the map uses a different sprite.

For others who are reading and haven't played the beta yet, some of this is walkable and other parts of this are drownable water that sends you back to the start of the screen with half a heart taken away. Dick move, game! I concluded I just had to wait until I got the flippers/ladder and come back later.

It didn't help. SO much god damn bullshit in this level. Way too many enemies on every screen that all have way too much HP, still way too much projectile spam you have no way to defend yourself against, way too much drownable water you can get pushed into very easily because there's no fucking room to move anywhere, and then there's the bubbles that are invincible, take away your stuff, push you back into water, and the screen has so little room to move it's often impossible to avoid getting hit by them. Just crossing from one side of the room to another requires standing around and waiting for the bubbles to get out of the way.

But that's not even the worst part.

IPB Image
Can you spot it? I can't.

There's no mark here that states you need to bomb the wall. You have to bomb it to go north and:

IPB Image
Dick move, game!

The stairs gets you to here:

IPB Image
The last screen I ever saw

What. The. Fuck. Is. This. Bullshit? This is the point where I could no longer take the torture and gave up on playing the damned thing.

Verdict: Toss out and rebuild from scratch. Unsalvageable in current state.

#4 Orithan

Orithan

• Members

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:45 AM

QUOTE(Giggidy @ Oct 6 2012, 06:03 PM) View Post

(insert complete rant here)

This is obviously NOT for you then. Nuff said.

Anyway, I have put out a small update, namely to fix a bug that made a swordless run impossible.

#5 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:15 AM

icon_smile.gif

Hi

I need some help now , where can i find the magic shield?

#6 Orithan

Orithan

• Members

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:58 AM

You can get your Wooden Shield upgraded two screens west from the start (but is only accessible from a location 1 screen NE from the start). Bomb the rock surronded by big trees there and come with 100 rupees. There is also another one (for the same price) hidden under a pushable (with bracelet) rock one screen West of the warp ring entrance near Level 5.

#7 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:09 AM

QUOTE(Orin XD @ Oct 8 2012, 01:58 PM) View Post

You can get your Wooden Shield upgraded two screens west from the start (but is only accessible from a location 1 screen NE from the start). Bomb the rock surronded by big trees there and come with 100 rupees. There is also another one (for the same price) hidden under a pushable (with bracelet) rock one screen West of the warp ring entrance near Level 5.

Thanks for help icon_smile.gif , i really need that shield icon_thumbsup.gif

#8 chiefbigcalf

chiefbigcalf

Warrior

• Members

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

This quest has me hooked....level 2 done....level 4 pretty much done....BRACELET FOUND, wooohoooo....That's about the extent of my progress. I love the lack of conventionality of "ok find level one, beat it ; find level 2, beat it"... hell, I haven't even found level one yet! Of course, I am the oldest nube on the block so level one is prob. staring me right in the face...and level 3 is probably just an item away, but it isn't jumping out at me. For some that might be irritating as hell ( see Giggidy's comments) but for me it's refreshing to play something with a twist, something where you have to think and try things and make calculated guesses. Like I said, being a nube, the things I've missed so far (like level 1 for ex. LOL) are making this a true quest for me; others will either find them so easily or at the other end of the spectrum, give in to uncontrollable rantings and ravings directed to the maker of the quest. THAT would be a shame because Orin XD has been a valuable member of our ZC community. Orin XD has demonstrated extraordinary restraint and exemplary character in dealing with such mindless comments. I eagerly look forward to Orin XD's contributions to our community and am most thankful for all he does. Thank you, Orin XD.

#9 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:04 PM

You know since scripting is a pretty valuable skill in 2.5 and you're a scripter, I have to ask "Where's the scripting?" Traditional quests have just gotten boring for me. I want custom enemies, items, at the very least custom bosses. Pretty much everything Giggidy said is a valid argument. I wouldn't call this quest unsalvageable, but it's pretty weak.

#10 Orithan

Orithan

• Members

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:39 AM

QUOTE(Moosh @ Oct 15 2012, 12:04 PM) View Post

You know since scripting is a pretty valuable skill in 2.5 and you're a scripter, I have to ask "Where's the scripting?" Traditional quests have just gotten boring for me. I want custom enemies, items, at the very least custom bosses.
Custom bosses are a pain to set up and the Z1 bosses feel more natural. There are a few custom enemies (Wolfo, Seraph, Z3 Popo, Camofols) and one or two custom items.
Pretty much everything Giggidy said is a valid argument. I wouldn't call this quest unsalvageable, but it's pretty weak.
I thought you actually enjoyed it from what you said in IRC (then again, that could have been Dragonite). I was more frustrated at Giggidy's lack of tact and his last statement than his complaints by themselves. I haven't had access to my laptop for a few days but I am going to update it and fix a lot of the problems as much as I can before the expo comes around (there has been an update, which gives you a little more direction on where to go and there are less bombable walls).

Replies bolded.

#11 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:49 AM

I liked it a lot at first but as I progressed, my opinion gradually worsened. It especially worsened when you stopped marking the bombable walls. I hated that about Zelda 1 but at least bombing walls wasn't a requirement there. I'll admit I've been rather spoiled by scripting. I guess I've started to automatically expect everyone to have scripted custom bosses just because it's possible...icon_frown.gif

As for custom bosses being a pain to set up, have you tried ghost.zh? It makes it super easy and then autoghost makes it even easier.

#12 chiefbigcalf

chiefbigcalf

Warrior

• Members

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

I restarted my game with an open mind and without referring back to what I had previously found. With a fair amount of exploration and looking at the map for unexplored areas, I found the candle, level one, a larger quiver, the blue ring, and the bracelet - with the completion of level one, I have lost 3 lives. Level one was not hard to find (no surprise, just the nubeness of myself on the first run-through) the twisting of the route takes you right to it. Certainly, you must recognize bombable rocks (you can hold 10 bombs to begin)and bombable shrubs as well as the burnable shrubs along the way as they open up necessary paths. Some screens may seem intensely packed back eliminating a few enemies and exiting the screen and re-entering easily solves that issue. I find the game quite pleasurable as almost every screen has something clearable. I don't know enough about scripting and quest making, but as actually playing quests, I've run through a good part of the databases out there. Orin's effort is quite satisfactory for me if not very good. It all depends on the player and what he is looking for in a game. This is pretty damn decent as far as I am concerned, and I certainly want to keep playing til the end. That can't be said about a lot of quests.

#13 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:11 PM

icon_smile.gif

Thanks Orin XD for a good beta of your quest.

I made it to lvl6 and beat it and i will play it when you release the full quest of it icon_thumbsup.gif icon_thumbsup.gif

#14 chiefbigcalf

chiefbigcalf

Warrior

• Members

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

Once again....Mr. Nube....that being moi....I've found numerous screens wanting to upgrade my wooden shield for a reasonable fee of 100 rupees, and I would be a very willing customer except for one small problem.....I never picked up a wooden shield.....

Problem solved, I mistakenly took the wooden shield icon in the shop as being the icon for the book

Edited by chiefbigcalf, 16 October 2012 - 04:14 AM.

#15 Orithan

Orithan

• Members

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE(Moosh @ Oct 15 2012, 10:49 PM) View Post

I liked it a lot at first but as I progressed, my opinion gradually worsened. It especially worsened when you stopped marking the bombable walls. I hated that about Zelda 1 but at least bombing walls wasn't a requirement there. I'll admit I've been rather spoiled by scripting. I guess I've started to automatically expect everyone to have scripted custom bosses just because it's possible...icon_frown.gif

As for custom bosses being a pain to set up, have you tried ghost.zh? It makes it super easy and then autoghost makes it even easier.

Okay, I will mark the bombable walls and pushblocks in the later dungeons. That was a cruel move on my part and I will fix it. I don't have access to my laptop ATM but I will fix this as soon as I get on it. A fix like this will need an update of its own.

QUOTE(chiefbigcalf @ Oct 16 2012, 04:24 AM) View Post

I restarted my game with an open mind and without referring back to what I had previously found. With a fair amount of exploration and looking at the map for unexplored areas, I found the candle, level one, a larger quiver, the blue ring, and the bracelet - with the completion of level one, I have lost 3 lives. Level one was not hard to find (no surprise, just the nubeness of myself on the first run-through) the twisting of the route takes you right to it. Certainly, you must recognize bombable rocks (you can hold 10 bombs to begin)and bombable shrubs as well as the burnable shrubs along the way as they open up necessary paths. Some screens may seem intensely packed back eliminating a few enemies and exiting the screen and re-entering easily solves that issue. I find the game quite pleasurable as almost every screen has something clearable. I don't know enough about scripting and quest making, but as actually playing quests, I've run through a good part of the databases out there. Orin's effort is quite satisfactory for me if not very good. It all depends on the player and what he is looking for in a game. This is pretty damn decent as far as I am concerned, and I certainly want to keep playing til the end. That can't be said about a lot of quests.

The locations of the candle, shops and the sword and shield upgrade caves should be made more obvious. And yes, there is a lot of exploration of the overworld. Given enough exploration; you can get the Red Candle (yes, this is a beast, but you are required to have found the Blue Candle first), Whistle (optional and not far away from the Red Candle), the Magic Boomerang (you must have already found the Wooden Boomerang first) and the Wand upgrade (Very powerful, especially against Darknuts and Wolfos).

QUOTE(judasrising @ Oct 16 2012, 05:11 AM) View Post

icon_smile.gif

Thanks Orin XD for a good beta of your quest.

I made it to lvl6 and beat it and i will play it when you release the full quest of it icon_thumbsup.gif icon_thumbsup.gif

in one of the screens of level 6 (bomb the walls), you will find an info screen. One of the things that Abei says are that the lens reveals the Camofols are always visible to the Lens of Truth, which is located outside the level. Explore the top screens of Death Mountain for it. I need to make that more clear that the lens is located where it is so less people will assume that it in Level 6.

Also @ Moosh: Z1 required the bombing of walls. Look at Level 5 in the 1st quest. I tried scripting the Wolfo but Ghost.zh messed up on me and the movement functions didn't work properly (they always rushed to the top left corner of the screen, regardless of solidity). That was part of the reason I took a break from building this quest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users