Photo

Map of the Month 75

Shane

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

Poll: Map of the Month 75 (51 member(s) have cast votes)

It's like three-quarters of a century... of months. Vote for your favorite map.

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 30 April 2016 - 04:38 PM

Joelmacool
Made because I was bored.

Feenicks
For a nominally water-based dungeon, this one feels awfully dry.

Eddy
Ordon Village, a small settlement located to the far south of Hyrule. Surely nothing can go wrong here... right?

Shane
A WIP overworld map of a project that I may resume after my current one.
  • Joelmacool and LinkFan212 like this

#2 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 30 April 2016 - 05:49 PM

Shane's his name and he has it in the (game?)

• Shane likes this

#3 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:26 PM

Joel:

I spy with my little eye your SotW 555 entry in the top right :D. I like this map, and it makes me think of a secluded pond in a hilly forest fed by a spring. I'm not a fan of it's squarishness (chrome says that's not a word.. it probably isn't.), but it looks good nonetheless. Fourth Place.

Feenicks:

Digging the Temple of Droplets vibe here, and the colors. I'm not to keen on the water borders, and think the shading looks off, but the screens are built really nicely. One thing I find odd is the waterfall on the far right. The walls looks strange, and don't really make a lot of sense. Take a look at MC's Temple of Droplets, on the lower left, and you'll see how they pulled off that same effect. It's not without its own perspective issues but Zelda perspective is weird :P Third Place.

Eddy:

Nice town. It has a good shape, layout, and flow. There's really nothing bad to say. I think the pond's shape is kind of odd, but it's not a deal breaker. I don't like DoR's dirt tiles, but that's personal taste, and not a problem with the map design. Second Place.

Shane:

I'm predicting this month's contest will be a sweep (okay, not really completely) but wow. Just wow. This is a serious map. You have a knack for making very pleasing palettes, which is why I like your work so much. There's also tons of nice effects in there too, and it generally flows together really nicely. Plus, I'm a sucker for PTUX. Voted.

Good job everyone! :)

• Shane and Eddy like this

#4 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:45 PM

Joelmacool: This is a really well-done map! It's aesthetically pleasing but you also managed to fit in some gameplay elements like the caves and whirlpools. There isn't enough here to win vote but it's a very solid map with little room to improve. :)

Feenicks: I like how much you've experimented with your room shapes here. Not perfectly square, but not completely organic either. The choice of firebird is also nice. On the other hand, this map could have used some work. There aren't any major landmarks to go off of so I can imagine becoming lost very quickly if I played this map. Add something like a big central hub room to pull everything together!

Eddy: You did a good job here! There are just enough landmarks to make this a memorable map and all of yoru screens are well-filled without looking cramped. The only feedback I can give is that you should probably tone down the contrast of the grass. It feels a little too busy in my opinion.

Shane: Nice, nice! This easily took my vote. Not only is it the biggest and most detailed map, but there's a huge amount of variety here. The grays and greens look a little dull to me, but this is easily a quest-worthy map if I've ever seen one. :)

• Shane, Eddy and Matthew like this

#5 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 01 May 2016 - 12:36 AM

I'm torn between Eddy's and Shane's good stuff, guys. I may come back and vote after a fresh look at each.
  • Shane and Eddy like this

#6 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:01 AM

Eddy:

Nice town. It has a good shape, layout, and flow. There's really nothing bad to say. I think the pond's shape is kind of odd, but it's not a deal breaker. I don't like DoR's dirt tiles, but that's personal taste, and not a problem with the map design. Second Place.

If you mean the pond at the far top-right then yeah, I kinda just tried to fill up some stuff there lol. Thanks anyways!

Eddy: You did a good job here! There are just enough landmarks to make this a memorable map and all of yoru screens are well-filled without looking cramped. The only feedback I can give is that you should probably tone down the contrast of the grass. It feels a little too busy in my opinion.

I'll try and see what I can do about the grass, but thanks!

Pretty awesome maps this month.

Joelmacool - Very nicely done. I love the colours and the layout of the map. I agree with Anthus though about how it's a bit too squared, but looks great anyway.

Feenicks - Pretty interesting dungeon map here. I find it interesting how everything is so spaced out like this, I guess it allows you to easily tell between all the floors. There isn't anything else I can say though, but nice work.

Shane - Dam son, this is some good stuff. I love the way everything is all connected with each other and each area looks pretty unique in their own way. Awesome work, would've voted here if I wasn't in the contest.

• Shane likes this

#7 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 14 May 2016 - 11:21 AM

I know I'm late, but I would have voted for Eddy had I not entered. All the maps are pretty great.

• Eddy likes this

#8 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 14 May 2016 - 12:12 PM

with a fresh look, I voted for Eddy's. this was a REALLY good set of maps, kids!
  • Eddy likes this

#9 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 01 June 2016 - 01:55 AM

Voting totals:
– Joelmacool (8 votes [19.51%])
– Feenicks (0 votes [0.00%])
– Eddy (5 votes [12.20%])
– Shane (28 votes [68.29%])