Tricks of The Trade

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
175 replies to this topic

#151 idontknow8

idontknow8

Senior

• Members

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:12 PM

Here's a trick using any of the recent betas that have the latest enemy editor (which combines various types into a single walking type and you can set an enemy's defenses). This trick allows you to have a different drop set for bushes or other slashable objects.

For example, let's say bushes normally drop a single rupee, heart, or nothing at all. But let's say you want a particular bush to drop bombs every time you slash it. Here's what you do:

-Make a drop set that has bombs occuring 100% of the time.

-Make a combo that looks like the 'bomb-giving' bush that you want. Set it's type to either Slash or Slash->Next. Whichever you choose, be sure to either set the undercombo or the next consecutive combo. Make sure it's solid.

-Now, here's where the latest enemy editor combes in. Make a new custom enemy. You should name it something easy to remember, like "Bomb Dropset" or something. You dont need to give it any tiles cause it's going to be completely invisible...in fact, to be sure, you should set the "Is Invisible" checkbox in the Misc Flags tab. Make sure the enemy's HP is 1, Step Speed is 0, and Damage is 0 (all other stats can be 0 as well). In the first defenses tab, set the b'rang defense to "Ignore" and then you can click the "Set All" button to make this "enemy" ignore everything. However, you'll want to change the sword defense back to "none" so that it can be killed via a slash of any sword. Make sure the enemy's dropset is the dropset that you want as well...like in this case, the bomb dropset. Save this enemy and go back to the screen editor.

-On the screen, place your bomb-giving bush combo where you'd like. For each one you place, you'll need to also place the previously created enemy. Go to the enemies menu and pick that enemy ("bomb dropset"). Click ok. Then place the enemy-placement flags on the same spots where you place your bush. (So for one push, place "Enemy 0" flag, another push "Enemy 1" flag, etc.

-Vuala! What happens is when you go to slash this bush, you also slash the hidden enemy since they'll occupy the same space. The enemy will always drop whatever particular item you want. This allows you to make slashable bushes, pots, grass, etc. have different dropsets. All you need to do is make an enemy for each dropset & place a different enemy on each object.

#152 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:45 AM

Not bad, idontknow8, but there's too many limitations for this method to be incredibly useful, in my opinion. For one, you can't make the bush "grow back" and be slashable again to drop a second bomb, because the invisible enemy will already be dead. Second, the killed enemy will still play its sound effect when you kill it, revealing the design-trick to the players (which I personally think a great Questmaker will always try to avoid; honestly, Quests are always better/more fun when you can leave the player going "Christ, how did he DO that??" ^.^ Mr. Z has done that to me countless times in Link's Birthday DX, by the way!).

An effect like this I'd say would still be better off with a scripted FFC. It's probably a pretty simple script, too, with only a few lines of code; I'm picturing a simple If/Then check to see when a certain Combo appears on the screen, said Combo being the Bush's UnderCombo so it appears when you slash it... followed by a Screen->CreateItem command to create the pick-uppable Bomb at the FFC's X,Y coordinates. Then if you want the bush to grow back and have more bombs to drop, another Condition could be added to the If/Then that makes it only work if a Local (Boolean) Variable is False (setting it True when it's slashed), and then have a second If/Then in the same FFC script (afterward) that sets it True again if another certain Combo is ever present on the screen (which the slashed Bush stump will be set to Combo-Cycle to eventually). A sketchy idea like that is what I have in mind; knowing Joe or Gleeok I bet they'd use a While Loop or something, which I would take one look at and shake my head and go "Wow, pure genius"... XD

Your idea works just fine, but I found some flaws in it, and am only putting this "counterpost" to be fair about it. I'm certainly not trying to bash or belittle your creativity... If anything, you could consider it me challenging you to strive even farther in the future (which, correct me if I'm wrong, is sorta one of the general Zelda Classic community's underlying core qualities; we all inspire each-other here every day even just doing our natural business icon_love.gif )...!

Edit: Oh my God though you're right that new enemy editor is the sexiest thing since sex. icon_drool.gif

Edited by Schwa, 10 January 2010 - 04:46 AM.

#153 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:04 AM

With the above dropset method, you can use scripting to spawn the enemy on the spot based on if there's one there or not, and the ID the combo is.

if you slash the bomb flower, it becomes another combo that regrows, but when it does regrow, it goes back to the original combo id, and then the script will notice that, place the enemy on there again and not put another one there until it regrows again. Infact I could probably write this script, and I'll give it a shot. Keep your eyes peeled.

#154 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:03 PM

Spawning an item at random from a list when the combo is slashed would be easier.

#155 Moo2wo

Moo2wo

Yes, you're seeing this.

• Members

Posted 21 March 2010 - 11:32 AM

Here's something a lot of people know about, but for the sake of completion, I'm putting here. When you activate secrets on the screen Link's on, secret combos activate on layer screens, too.

#156 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:26 PM

Here's a trick I came up with after hearing someone ask how to do it: statues that fire when Link swings his sword. Have two identical screens, one with no freeform combos filed with sword trigger flags (you may have to place tiles over the floor on layer one for more complex rooms) that trigger a direct warp to the other screen. The other screen has freeform combos where you want the statues (or something else, IDK) to shoot from (be sure to set the proper speeds for the freeform combos to move). The screen with the freeform combos has a direct time warp back to the first screen. You can have enemies carry over by clicking the "Sprites carry over" screen flag, however when I tested this, it tends to glitch the enemies positions sometimes, making it best to use it in a puzzle room (one with bush combos maybe? icon_twisted.gif ).

#157 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:43 AM

This is a neat little FFC trick. This is for people who do not want to take the time to set the position by typing in the numbers. Simple fix. Get the FFC you want exit out of the menu. Click and drag the FFC where you want. simple I did not know I was able to do that.

#158 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:23 PM

You can right-click where you want it and select 'Place and Edit FFC X'

#159 Master Maniac

Master Maniac

Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water.

• Members

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:03 PM

You can delete combos from the combo page, using the "Delete" key, but you can't from the home screen. Pressing "Delete" on your home screen will only get rid of your current screen.

#160 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:18 PM

BUMP!

I'm suprised that nobody has come up with this yet, this is how to place large graphics very quickly without Joe123's tutorial. This requires the Combo Alias in a 2.5 build.
  1. Go into the Combo Alias by clicking the grey box in the top right corner until you see Combo Alias and three full collums of unused combos.
  2. Click on a combo in one of the collums and edit it (it will appear on all three collums).
  3. Go to properties and type in the size in the Horizontal and Vertical textboxes (no number larger than 4, though) and click the radio button stating which layer it can be put on (leave it at 0 for most of the time).
  4. Go out of the properties window and click the blank box in the middle, notice how it has grown larger, select you desired combo and change to the cset you want.
  5. You see that only one portion has been filled in. Repeat step 4 until the whole space is filled, minus the cset part because the rest will already be on that cset and you will probably be very close to the other combos you need, so it will be done quickly.
  6. Your combo will be done. You can now just place it wherever you want like a regular combo, but larger.
This is a very quick way to place large objects like tree bases or dungeon walls in tilesets like Pure or DoR. It requires some setting up, but it pays out in the long run. However it requires a 2.5 build to do this so if you use 2.10, you won't have any luck.

Ciao!

#161 Chakaa

Chakaa

Hench 4 Life

• Members

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE(Orin XD @ Sep 23 2010, 08:18 PM) View Post

BUMP!

I'm suprised that nobody has come up with this yet, this is how to place large graphics very quickly without Joe123's tutorial. This requires the Combo Alias in a 2.5 build.
  1. Go into the Combo Alias by clicking the grey box in the top right corner until you see Combo Alias and three full collums of unused combos.
  2. Click on a combo in one of the collums and edit it (it will appear on all three collums).
  3. Go to properties and type in the size in the Horizontal and Vertical textboxes (no number larger than 4, though) and click the radio button stating which layer it can be put on (leave it at 0 for most of the time).
  4. Go out of the properties window and click the blank box in the middle, notice how it has grown larger, select you desired combo and change to the cset you want.
  5. You see that only one portion has been filled in. Repeat step 4 until the whole space is filled, minus the cset part because the rest will already be on that cset and you will probably be very close to the other combos you need, so it will be done quickly.
  6. Your combo will be done. You can now just place it wherever you want like a regular combo, but larger.
This is a very quick way to place large objects like tree bases or dungeon walls in tilesets like Pure or DoR. It requires some setting up, but it pays out in the long run. However it requires a 2.5 build to do this so if you use 2.10, you won't have any luck.

Ciao!

Wasn't that already posted in this topic?

#162 Orithan

Orithan

• Members

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:24 PM

I took a look through it and I found nothing about it elsewhere on this thread. Sorry FefeRawft, you must have it got mixed up with something else.

Edited by Orin XD, 25 September 2010 - 08:25 PM.

#163 Chakaa

Chakaa

Hench 4 Life

• Members

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:44 PM

Wow, I'm shocked, I've known about that for a long time, I'm surprised nobody posted it.

#164 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:27 AM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Mar 24 2010, 04:26 PM) View Post
You can have enemies carry over by clicking the "Sprites carry over" screen flag
Is this true? Where is this flag? I can't find it..

A trick from me:
When you make ice enemys you should use the new enemy editor, to make them extremly weak to fire.
And fire enemys should ignore fire weapons. I made that in my game

Edited by Avataro, 05 May 2012 - 12:03 PM.

#165 Orithan

Orithan

• Members

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:19 AM

Avataro, I believe that the "Sprites carry over" flag is in screen data, in the first page.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users