Tileset

• Please log in to reply
237 replies to this topic

#226 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:17 PM

Thanks a lot, Anthus! It's nice to know people are using this.

Concerning the perfectly rounded water borders and the shallow/deep transitions...Remember how in post #214, I said I handed all of my Koten Advanced tiles over to Binx and co.? There were some 4-frame deep/shallow transitions and some new water edges in those tiles. If Binx and co. finish their RPG tileset, it's likely those tiles will be popping up in it.

Ah, yes. And as for the dungeon tiles, as long as a tile has black and three monochrome shades, they should transfer into Koten quite well, whether they are NES tiles or not.

Edited by DragonDePlatino, 16 February 2015 - 09:17 PM.

#227 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:35 PM

Man Dragon, this tileset is becoming really popular. It just seemed like one or two people were using it before, and now you've got a lot of different people using it. Thanks for this tileset as well as the advice on good lava tiles. All I have to do is add some detail for the skull floating in the lava (darker circular shape around the lower half of the skull) and it should be A-ok. Congratulations on your success with this tileset's recent explosion in popularity!

#228 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:40 AM

Were these tiles supposed to be for Koten Advanced?
moved_window_by_dragondeplatino-d7xph4t.

If so, I'd like it very much if the work you did for it be released for public use. I'm sure many could make use of the extra graphics.

#229 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:01 AM

Oh yeah, I can definitely see where you're coming from. I always hate it whenever someone works on something, leaves it unfinished, then hoards the work to themselves.

But, like I said, I've handed over all of my Koten Advanced work to Binx and co. If they ever finish that NES tileset they contacted me about, the Koten Advanced work will be in it.

#230 Dart Zaidyer

Dart Zaidyer

Mystic Beard of Truth

• Members

Posted 17 March 2015 - 12:18 PM

Oh yeah, I can definitely see where you're coming from. I always hate it whenever someone works on something, leaves it unfinished, then hoards the work to themselves.

So why did you "hand it off", then? It's pretty much the same thing except now it's some other guy's turn instead of yours.

#231 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:24 PM

Well...I don't want to hoard work, but I don't want to just drop an incomplete tileset into the database as a loose tiles entry. IMO handing the tiles off to someone else is a nice middle ground because it doesn't doom the tiles to just rotting on someone's hard drive.

With that being said, though, I haven't checked up on the forums lately so I'm not sure if Binx and co. are still working on the tileset. If they aren't, I'll submit what I have to the Loose Tiles section.

#232 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:47 PM

Please do. For what it's worth, I totally would support a Firebird-esque tileset utilizing the NES restrictions. It's far from a waste of time.

Or, if you're still thinking of tackling a different tileset, I'd like to see the BS Zelda set get a face-lift.

#233 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:26 PM

Well, I suppose it's settled then. Binx will probably use the RPG tileset for just his quest, so it wouldn't hurt to upload what I've got. I'll compile everything and get it into the database in a day or two.

As for my current plans, I explained here why I would not be continuing Koten Advanced and I showed off my current idea for a tileset here. I haven't committed to the latter project yet, but if I make a topic for Nova Pure that means I'll be finishing the project. I don't like to create topics for projects *cough cough* Fairy Dream *cough cough* until I KNOW I will complete them so that I don't end up letting anyone down. 

Edited by DragonDePlatino, 17 March 2015 - 05:30 PM.

• Jared likes this

#234 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:12 PM

I haven't committed to the latter project yet, but if I make a topic for Nova Pure that means I'll be finishing the project. I don't like to create topics for projects *cough cough* Fairy Dream *cough cough* until I KNOW I will complete them so that I don't end up letting anyone down.

LTM and I are still set on completing Fairy Dream (as I explained last month when you boldly claimed it was dead, even though you could have easily just asked us that since we are both active on the community) and we really don't want our work to go to waste. We've been working on it since 2008 (the demo was made in 2012 for reference) . We've just been super busy with stuff lately and we haven't made public updates for the many things we have added since the last public update.

But you don't have to believe any of that at this point. You really don't. I can even understand why you are set on believing it'll never be finished and totally understand that nothing we say will change your mind on that. Vaporware is a thing that exists and it's a huge letdown that Fairy Dream has been setting off a lot of the warning flags for it.  :shrug:

Anywho, I do genuinely look forward to your next graphics related project since I do like your work. Good luck with that.

Edited by Nick, 18 March 2015 - 07:03 PM.
Changed my mind again. The thing I edited in at first and removed is better for a PM discussion.

• ShadowTiger, The Satellite, Shane and 1 other like this

#235 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:33 AM

@Nick Ah, my bad. I'd probably attribute that to lack of activity on this site. Oftentimes I'll post in a topic and forget to jump back in to see the reply. ^^;

Anyways, I'm totally psyched that Fairy Dream is still a thing! I've become a much more confident spriter since I last worked on the project 2 years ago, so if you guys ever need any more help I'd be willing to donate some more art.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#236 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 11 April 2015 - 01:22 AM

Quick question about Koten; would this scorpion from Startropics 2 translate well with Koten or would it clash? I'm tempted to use these scorpions I found on Spriters Resource in place of Leevers, but I don't know if they are okay to use or not in terms of being too detailed or not detailed enough. Anyone more fluent with the tileset, what do you think? Any help is appreciated.

qm7qbvm5d27qesczg.jpg

#237 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 12 April 2015 - 06:50 PM

For the record, I AM actually still working on that tileset, it's just been fairly slow-going, however, since you've already submitted everything, I can go back to using my other tileset as the base,  if you'd like. :)

• Demonlink likes this

#238 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:07 PM

Quick question about Koten; would this scorpion from Startropics 2 translate well with Koten or would it clash? I'm tempted to use these scorpions I found on Spriters Resource in place of Leevers, but I don't know if they are okay to use or not in terms of being too detailed or not detailed enough. Anyone more fluent with the tileset, what do you think? Any help is appreciated.

qm7qbvm5d27qesczg.jpg

Taking in mind Koten is based on a NES palette organization, (and since I just looked up Startropics II on Wikipedia, that it is too an NES game), those scorpions shouldn't clash at all :) They actually seem to be fit for Koten, so no problems from here! 

PS: I just looked into Koten's enemies, and most use only three colors, the same as these guys, so that's another bonus!

Edited by Demonlink, 12 April 2015 - 08:12 PM.

• KingPridenia likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tileset

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users