• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:18 PM

This post has been edited by Cukeman

Edited by Cukeman, 26 May 2012 - 01:28 AM.

#2 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 11 July 2011 - 04:30 AM

Very nice of you to tackle this. icon_smile.gif It's a difficult task, and using palettes such as this is also difficult. But I certainly hope someone tries using your palette here.

I don't think it is lacking in yellows, and there is an assortment oranges (though they aren't very bright), but there are very few reds. Not sure what NEStopia is about, but it has some decent red representation. I realize that ZC tilesets rarely use pure reds; they tend to fade from red to yellow while passing through orange (since, obviously, lightened red eventually becomes pink).

#3 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:31 PM

Edited by Cukeman, 30 April 2012 - 10:52 PM.

#4 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:37 PM

Couldn't you just subdivide this picture and get a similar effect?
IPB Image

HAHA DISREGARD THAT I'M JUST BEING A DUMBASS!!! icon_razz.gif
Also, how can we import this wonder palette of yours?

Edited by Pokemonmaster64, 11 July 2011 - 07:38 PM.

#5 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:39 PM

QUOTE(Cukeman @ Jul 11 2011, 11:31 AM) View Post
Some of those greens are very similar. Maybe I should axe one and add some kind of red?
A blue or a pink might also be expendable...
Nestopia is a NES emulator for Mac (if you didn't know).

Yes, you do have a lot of greens. Greens are useful, but yellows are even more useful. Many gradients in games fade from yellow into some other color. That's why yellow is the "fourth color" in several of the secondary color gradients of the DoR palette. (For instance, three progressively lighter greens in a row, ending with a yellow color.)

You have plenty of blues and purples, though. icon_smile.gif

And yes, pink is less useful unless you're making a really cartoony tileset. Sometimes it can be used as a "light red," but just as often, oranges make a good substitute. (See: CSet 8 in Pure and DoR)

#6 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:21 PM

#7 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:44 AM

QUOTE(Cukeman @ Jul 11 2011, 09:21 PM) View Post
Yeah, too many pinks and green. Like I said I just took regular intervals - looks like I will have to make some changes.
Thanks for the advice. I think I might have DoR, then again I might not. Are DoR and Pure both in the tilesets on this site?
- Looks like they are - I just checked.

Yes, very much so, as you have discovered. icon_smile.gif

I'm not sure what you mean by regular intervals, but I'm assuming you mean that the palette started off as a general representation of the color spectrum without specific regard for what colors are more useful in ZC. Which is understandable. If you hadn't done it that way, it'd probably end up a mess.

#8 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:33 PM

I'd like to point out that it's very possible to use c-set 12 and 13. Zquest shows gui colors instead of the ones you choose, which makes it harder to work with them, but it works perfectly in Zelda Classic. Just as long as you don't use boss colors.

The quest is unpassworded, so you can look at all the palettes and stuff for proof.

#9 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:02 PM

#10 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:50 AM

It's not really that hard to change them. Using them is a matter of memory, though. If your palette is easy to read, then it will be easy for people to use the colors that ZQuest's gui covers up. Like I said, though, the colors are only screwy in ZQuest. In ZC they work fine, as shown in the quest in my previous post. The only thing is, there is a weird glitch that doesnt let you select anything from palette 15 in the tile editor, and if you're using 12 and 13, you might want to avoid using boss C-Sets.

#11 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:17 PM

#12 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE(Cukeman @ Jul 13 2011, 07:17 PM) View Post

What's with that one color that changes to match any other color I click on when selecting a color in the tile editor?

C-set 12, 13, 14, and 15 are used for ZQuest's GUI colors. Zelda Classic and ZQuest can only display 256 colors at one time. This includes the GUI elements. However, 12, 13, and 14 are only used as GUI colors in ZQuest.

QUOTE(Cukeman @ Jul 13 2011, 07:17 PM) View Post

And what's the reason exactly for not using boss colors?

Boss C-sets get loaded into C-set 14, then if there are more than one type of monster that uses extended C-sets, 13 and 12 are filled as a result. So, basically, avoid using monsters with BOSS C-sets (this includes Ganon)

#13 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:18 PM

Edited by Cukeman, 30 April 2012 - 10:53 PM.

#14 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:40 PM

You'd have to avoid using Ganon as a final boss, considering you can't control whether or not the FREEZE palette is loaded.

#15 Master Maniac

Master Maniac

Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water.

• Members

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:30 PM

I like the palette setup. In response to the lack of yellows and reds, if you were to see an image that showed all colors in the visible human spectrum, you'd notice that the yellow range is the smallest of all of them. So pretty much, its not your fault that its hard to set up yellows and reds with a wide variation of colors.

Overall, even though I don't use 8-bit colors, I love the fact that you have created such a well organized 8-bit, one size fits all palette. It would only take some minor tweaks in the colors to make different palette sets, which is great considering that palette work in general is a pain in the neck.

If I could rate this, I'd say 5/5, + 10 for the effort icon_razz.gif

Quick edit: The yellows have quite a bit of variation. I'd say that's more than enough icon_razz.gif

Edited by Master Maniac, 14 July 2011 - 03:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users