New MC tileset, community project!

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#1 Jay

Jay

Magus

• Members

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:32 PM

Hey there it's Jay, I was brought upon by a very interesting Idea a little while ago today, a bunch of willing people working together on a Minish Cap tileset here for ZC. I know it might seem a bit hard and too much time filled for a lot of people here, but if you really thought about it, what if a lot of people chipped in?

Say everyone has a base pallette set right? The right pallettes to do dungeons, orverworld, interiors etc. So that eventually all tiles can be ripped in.

So I'm thinking it can be like this! :

One person can be in charge of creating base pallettes, maybe based off an already created tileset, then giving instructions to others on how they work.

Another person can be in charge of say, ripping all overworld ground tiles. Rocks, ground, grass, signs, graves, basically all the small stuff.

The next can be in charge of ripping all the dungeon walls, doors, maybe even floors too.

Another in charge of ripping all dungeon Misc. Pots, chests, stones, water etc.

Each job might take far less than a month even!!

Etc. etc,

I think if enough people in the community worked together to create such a tileset, it could get done, and it could get done right! I myself am all for this, and I really hope others with good experience might be too!

I'm presenting this idea to you, hoping people can find the time to contribute and make this a reality. I do not propose I am the leader of the project as there are people far more experience than me! I would love to play a big role in this though if people will be so willing.

I think completing this project would be a great asset to the PZC community, thank you for your time icon_smile.gif

Jay

(This is just the first form of this post to set off the idea, it can become better and more full)

Edited by Jay, 21 March 2011 - 12:33 PM.

#2 Giggidy

Giggidy

We live for chaos so that we may die for ourselves.

• Banned

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:56 PM

I posted this in the quest screenshot thread, but I'll repeat here:

If I planned to make an MC tileset, here's how I would do it:

Treat each "tileset" of areas separately. Rip each of the tiles from these areas under a single 8-bit level palette (csets 2, 3, 4, and 9). For overworld areas, these would be:

North + South Hyrule Field + Lon Lon Ranch + Trilby Highlands + Western Wood + Lake Hylia
Hyrule Castle Town
Royal Graveyard
Veil Falls + Death Mountain
That cloudtop area (can't remember the name atm)
Castor Wilds + Fortress of Winds exterior
Minish Woods
Minish Village.

Once all of these areas are ripped in as separate overworld sets, then I'd go through and see which ones can be merged as level palettes and which ones have to be treated separately. Rinse and repeat for dungeons, of course.

Don't worry about consistency too much at first. The main task is to get the bulk of the actual ripping. You can't make a full Pure-sized tileset out of MC graphics alone anyways, so at best this will be a resource to more easily facilitate rips into other, more complete sets. Once this is done and everything is in a ZC usable state, THEN I would worry about merging sets for optimization, which is actually kinda optional if we're working on a resource-only deal.

#3 Jay

Jay

Magus

• Members

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:00 PM

Yeah I hear you, but it's very possible to create a full ZC version at least MC tileset.

That's pretty much the same thing I suggested icon_razz.gif Doing it all in parts, then putting it together, even if a different C-Set or pallette is needed for each area, as long as it all fits, it's a great idea.

#4 Giggidy

Giggidy

• Banned

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:06 PM

The only rule I would propose is this: No color loss, ever. If we run into a location in-game where 64 colors is not enough, then the area will have to be divided into separate locations.

#5 Jay

Jay

Magus

• Members

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:08 PM

I like your take on MC giggidy, would you be interested for when the time comes that enough people are ready to help?

#6 Giggidy

Giggidy

• Banned

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:13 PM

Who says we need to wait for people? Even just one set, even an incomplete one, will be useful as a resource. Anyone who wants to contribute can go ahead and start now, then whoever wants to take care of the merging work can do that.

#7 Jay

Jay

Magus

• Members

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:16 PM

Alright well I'm in then, want to PM me or something to star talking about starting it lol ? That would be great.

#8 Yapollo

Yapollo

To Discover

• Members

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:33 PM

Well I have been working on Evile’s MZC tileset, I may be willing to merge resources, but I am unavailable for a little bit. So I will continue my slow progress and merge what I have eventually. Palette conversion from one tileset to another is easy, so that should not be so much of a problem later on.

#9 Jay

Jay

Magus

• Members

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:36 PM

I'm glad you're willing it will be much appreciated!!!

#10 Yapollo

Yapollo

To Discover

• Members

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:39 PM

I'll see about posting some sprites soon, but they are set for Evile's MZC tileset palette. You give me a palette and I'll convert it.

#11 Giggidy

Giggidy

• Banned

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:40 PM

I think we should always use original TMC palettes. Or at least, original TMC colors. If 2 csets share colors then they can be merged within a single tilesheet.

#12 Jay

Jay

Magus

• Members

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:43 PM

Great thoughts! I'm glad you guys are in on it.

#13 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:28 PM

I suggest the original MC colours, but not the MC palette organisation.

I actually have a bit of MC stuff I've collected over the years. Many different attempts at a MC tileset. The main thing I have is all the Item sprites coloured into the MC sprite palette, which in my opinion are the best sprite palettes to use in ZQuest with 8-Bit mode.

I'd love to help right now, but I can't until the Mac Beta of ZQuest works.

Edited by Jimmyb, 21 March 2011 - 06:32 PM.

#14 Jay

Jay

Magus

• Members

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:45 PM

Well that's great to hear, and when it does work the set could really use what you have! Probably base it off MZC, the set giddidy is using maybe if he wants, or the unfinished MC set on the site, who knows.

#15 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:11 PM

Bah, just posted this in the screenshot thread...

If anyone's interested I started to make a MC set a while ago. Didn't get too far but I think it's a decent start.
http://www.mediafire...a1i4h31nab3hlys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users