• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:15 AM

US media giant CNN's reporting of Cyclone Yasi blew Queensland off the map, when it depicted the weather-ravaged state as being in Tasmania.

The international news breaker was roundly mocked around the world, when its map of Australia on a news bulletin pointed to Queensland being several thousand kilometres south in a bulletin last week.

While CNN appears to have quickly removed the offending graphic from its website, bemused Australian media watchers and others quickly sent the image viral.

It appears CNN researchers googled Queenstown, which is on Tasmania’s west coast, instead of Queensland, when researching the report.

Today the image continues to be sent to inboxes and posted on Twitter and Facebook with tongue-in-cheek comments to match.

Among the finger-pointing at the media giant’s redrawing of Australia’s map include: “Beautiful one day …” and “Whoah. Yasi was powerful!”
Britain's Daily Mail also redrew Australia's State boundaries last week in its flood coverage, splitting Queensland in half and adding a seventh state, Capricornia.

That graphic was also removed, but not before scores of readers had pointed it out to the news site.

http://www.news.com....i-1226001791170

And of course, for those who don't want to click the link, here's the image itself:

IPB Image

Even though the cyclones and floods are terrible natural disasters for those affected by them, I found this stuff-up to be funny. It sort of puts a lighter side on situations like this.

Edited by Taco Chopper, 07 February 2011 - 09:16 AM.

#2 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:10 AM

There was a image Fox News put up of Egypt being between Israel and Iraq not to long ago that was making an annoying amount of rounds.

Not sure how these sorts of things happen though; with google and everything.

#3 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:46 AM

Yeah, that image came to mind pretty quickly. icon_razz.gif How the hell do people not see that before it gets out?

#4 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE(Lemon @ Feb 7 2011, 09:10 PM) View Post
Not sure how these sorts of things happen though; with google and everything.

Actually, I think these sorts of mistakes are made partially BECAUSE of Google. Easy access to information -- especially when it is speckled with so much bogus info and is so prone to typos -- does not really encourage good research.

It also shows that news reports are quite vulnerable to gaffs. I don't think CNN is particularly lacking in proficiency; I just think that news channels put too much emphasis on being first, and therefore they have very little time to fix their errors before they air each story.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users