Strategy turn-based

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 31 July 2019 - 10:57 PM

Anyone else ever play this game or its sequels? I played the first two games a while back, and I remember it being a pretty damned fun series of strategy games, albeit a little uninspired. What do you guys think of it?

#2 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 01 August 2019 - 01:02 AM

Age of Wonders III is great and worth checking out.

Note that the GOG release still tied online multiplayer, as well as offline LAN multiplayer access, to requiring logging in to an online Triumph Account which you've associated a product key with (so they can revoke your access to those features if desired, aka DRM is present). Single Player and Hotseat Multiplayer do not have this restriction and can be played 100% offline.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 01 August 2019 - 01:05 AM.

• Binx likes this

#3 AaronJer

AaronJer

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 01 August 2019 - 01:26 PM

In my opinion, the first Age of Wonders was basically perfect, and all of the sequels are so much worse than it that there is no reason to play them. The art direction and gameplay in later games is a jumbled mess compared to the first one.

Also in the story in the second one a guy named Inioch possesses someone named Julia and starts calling themselves Julioch and it's literally Axe Cop levels of stupid. I haven't recovered from how painfully dumb that was to this day. I wake up crying sometimes.

#4 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 01 August 2019 - 04:29 PM

That's an... interesting take. Can't say I agree. The first game was kinda generic, the music was kinda uninspired, the story wasn't all that great, and the art was only so-so. It was fun, but I preferred The Wizard's Throne.

Edited by Binx, 01 August 2019 - 04:30 PM.

#5 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 02 August 2019 - 11:37 AM

The only problem I have with the current release of the 3rd game (aside from the DRM) is that in Multiplayer you're limited to either slow as molasses Unit Movement Speed or instantaneous movement speed. If you play offline you get 5 different speed options and I'd love to play the online with the 4th speed option :/

To elaborate: With instantaneous movement you're going to be spending half your turn checking where everything had moved to and likely missing something important, with the slowest movement speed you're going to spend 50% or more of your turn waiting for everything to finish moving. You can right-click to speed up animations (not instantaneous skip) but you have to right-click for every, single, units movement.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 04 August 2019 - 07:53 AM.

• ShadowTiger and Binx like this

#6 Lordkronos

Lordkronos

Hero of Dark World

• Members

Posted 03 August 2019 - 05:18 PM

I Never Played an Original Age of Wonders For me it was more The Heroes of Might and Magic Serie but I Have Played a Age of Wonders Mod for Total Annihilation Kingdoms and it was Pretty Fun :D

• ShadowTiger likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users