• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Surreal Canine

Surreal Canine

Master of Disaster

• Members

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:13 PM

I was wondering...
Are the betas and 2.10.2 safe to download? I need to know because I can't use my laptop, and I don't want to get a virus on the comp I'm using. It would be a relief if it were true.

#2 EnnonFenom

EnnonFenom

Why, must I clean out Old Lady Simmon's Cave?

• Banned

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:49 PM

Safe eh? Um I once got a virus from 2.10 at zelda classic. But if your going to download the new betas there virus free. Just back up a copy of any quest your making! And You will be good to go! Oh and just download the via here in the little box ! icon_razz.gif

Edited by ennonfenom, 09 May 2007 - 02:50 PM.

#3 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 09 May 2007 - 03:07 PM

Umm....

What the hell? If ZC had malicious viruses put into it by the devs then trust me, it wouldn't be very popular.

#4 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 09 May 2007 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE(Limzo @ May 9 2007, 04:07 PM) View Post

Umm....

What the hell? If ZC had malicious viruses put into it by the devs then trust me, it wouldn't be very popular.

True, but the virus may have intercepted the download path and accessed the hardware as a Trojan. Otherwise, yes, the betas are safe; they will not do anything malicious to your computer.

#5 EnnonFenom

EnnonFenom

• Banned

Posted 09 May 2007 - 04:04 PM

^yep. The only thing un safe is what they mite do to your qst file, thats why I said back up your qst file!

#6 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:00 PM

Just make sure that you download the ZC versions from good sites. Like at AGN, the offical links are the ones you should download. There are other people out there that have put viruses and spyware attached to ZC, but you shouldn't have that problem if you download it from the developers themselves.

#7 EnnonFenom

EnnonFenom

• Banned

Posted 10 May 2007 - 01:27 AM

QUOTE(Shoelace @ May 9 2007, 07:00 PM) View Post

Just make sure that you download the ZC versions from good sites. Like at AGN, the offical links are the ones you should download. There are other people out there that have put viruses and spyware attached to ZC, but you shouldn't have that problem if you download it from the developers themselves.

Ummm How come I got a Trojan from the download section here>>>>>>>Here<<<<<<<<
It only happened once though!

#8 Link1

Link1

Senior

• Members

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:15 AM

QUOTE(ennonfenom @ May 10 2007, 07:27 AM) View Post

Ummm How come I got a Trojan from the download section here>>>>>>>Here<<<<<<<<
It only happened once though!

Out of interest, which version of ZC was this, and what is the URL?

#9 Majora

Majora

Unironic Marxist-Leninist

• Members

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:36 AM

If I remember correctly, the developers asked someone to make an installer package for 2.10, but that person added something else to the package which was either a virus of some sorts, or a hijacker.

#10 DarkDragon

DarkDragon

Junior

• Members

Posted 29 May 2007 - 03:31 PM

The official alpha builds at shardstorm.com, the official betas published in AGN Open Beta Discussion, and the 2.10.2 betas linked to by Dark Nation all come straight from the developers and should be virus-free.

I have no control over zeldaclassic.com and what is published there, but if one of the downloads is virus-ridden, contact Eckels or War Lord, or tell me and I can see what I can do.

Download ZC from anywhere else strictly at your own risk, and be aware that several third-party sites have hosted infected versions of ZC in the past.

#11 EnnonFenom

EnnonFenom

• Banned

Posted 29 May 2007 - 04:34 PM

I downloaded 2.10 from zc about three month ago and got a trojan from it, And I never tried to download it again!

#12 The_Amaster

The_Amaster

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 29 May 2007 - 05:00 PM

Yeah, the betas should be safe. When people say the betas aren't "safe" what they mean is that they're likely to be buggy and possibly crash, not that they have viruses or trojans.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users