"Weird" Food Combinations You Like

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#16 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 27 October 2017 - 05:06 PM

That reminds me, when I was a little kid I thought it was awesome to take fritos and squish them into the bread of a bologna sandwich as though they were a topping. I'm not sure I see the appeal anymore, though.

• Magi_Hero and Adem like this

#17 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:31 PM

Banana peppers are also called Pepperoncinis, many sandwich shops offer them as part of the sandwich, and i know a pizza chain (papa john's) that includes one or two on the side with your pizza.

I had avocado cheescake once with chocolate crust. Avocados are great on lots of things.

Edited by Cukeman, 27 October 2017 - 09:32 PM.

• Magi_Hero and Jared like this

#18 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 28 October 2017 - 03:15 AM

I once tried baking slices of potato with dabs of peanut butter on them.

I don't remember most of it but I do remember it wasn't bad.
  • Anthus likes this

#19 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:06 AM

One thing I used to do, some years ago, was put frozen peas into microwave/oven burritos. the heat would thaw them enough to be chewable and their sweetness would contrast with the non-sweet flavor of the bean burrito.

#20 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:29 AM

I've alwats been a fan of vinegar, and I still hold that, excluding milk and other creamy foods, it will improve anything.

I exclude milk because I once made chocomilk with vinegar in it. It curdled. It was not delicious.

• Anthus likes this

#21 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:57 PM

I've alwats been a fan of vinegar, and I still hold that, excluding milk and other creamy foods, it will improve anything.

I exclude milk because I once made chocomilk with vinegar in it. It curdled. It was not delicious.

And that my friend, is the first step to making (some unholy kind of) cheese! :D I like vinegar too though. I put a splash of red wine vinegar in my chicken salads, and it really adds a nice touch. I wouldn't say that's all that weird though. 

#22 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 31 October 2017 - 05:40 PM

I have added vinegar to plain old potatoes or mash. Also, cheese. I have some other ones that I can't remember too.

I also tried once to drink (diluted) pickle juice (i.e. the stuff that is in the jar with the pickles). It's a little off topic, though - this is for 'weird' food combinations that I like.

I hope that wasn't too subtle.

#23 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:25 PM

I mean, the secret ingredient of my chili is peanut butter, if that counts.Gotta go with the natural stuff, because the cheap shit is too sweet.

Other than that, I have a killer fish recipe that calls for cinnamon, I used to eat peanut butter, cheddar, mustard, and salami sandwiches, and I can figure out hw to fit beer into about any recipe.

#24 Chris Miller

Chris Miller

The Dark Man

• Banned

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:27 PM

Dr. Pepper and cranberry juice.  Macaroni and cheese and pork 'n beans. 

#25 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:51 PM

Step 1: Buy an instant pizza and heat it in the microwave instead of following the directions, so the crust is extra soft and chewy.

Step 2: Get out all of the ingredients you would normally put in a taco. Since we're using the microwave, use refried beans in place of meat.

Step 3: Build a taco using the pizza in place of the tortilla.

Let's see, other than that, I remember that I used to mix mustard and salsa together when I was in elementary school. The school always bought the cheapest variety of anything they could find, so it was strangely sweet salsa and watered down mustard that was essentially colored weak vinegar. Mixing the two would cut down on how sweet the salsa was, and since there wasn't any real flavor to the mustard, it didn't affect the rest of the taste too badly. Got a lot of funny looks from the other kids until I got some of them to actually try it.

When I was growing up at home, my mother didn't always have a lot of money for groceries, so we'd occasionally have days where something like mashed potatoes with instant gravy WAS the meal, with a very small amount of sausage mixed into the gravy so there was some protein. It's actually become a bit of a nostalgia thing for me now as an adult, and I'm often fine with just doing the same, except with a bit of Sriracha added in.

Another thing that we used to do was have bean soup pretty often. Mainly just filling a crock pot with bulk-bin dried beans, some ham, maybe an onion, etc. Nothing unusual about that. Bit bland, but a bit of vinegar and/or ketchup added in for flavor worked. I'm adding that in because if you leave the crock pot on overnight afterwards so that the rest of the water was cooked out, you ended up with a massive pot of homemade (bland) refried beans that you could mix together with some hot sauce or whatever, wrap in tortillas, and make homemade burritos. Cover the tortillas in butter and fry the burritos up on the skillet, and you didn't even need to bother adding anything else to the beans.

Not sure how unusual the bean recipe was, but I brought it up to point out that I really like foods where the leftovers naturally "mutate" into something completely different than what the original meal was. Anybody got anything else like that?

• Anthus and Cukeman like this

#26 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:15 PM

Dr. Pepper and cranberry juice. 

That's not that far out, considering Dr. Pepper's claims of having 23 unique flavors/ ingredients. :P

#27 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:14 PM

I have a cousin who likes pizza with honey in the crust.  Too weird for me.  I'll take garlic in the crust though.  But garlic can easily go in a lot of foods.

#28 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:20 PM

I would assume that a honey-flavored crust would go well with sweeter types of toppings such as pineapple/Canadian bacon. Then again, it could also potentially complement saltier toppings like anchovies.

That's just guessing based off of well-known flavor combinations, I personally can't stand either of those types of pizza.

#29 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:27 PM

I have trouble with things inside other things in terms of food.

I should elaborate. Normally my issue is with liquids in solids - meaning filled doughnuts, profiteroles, etc - and stuffed crust pizza. Not sure exactly what it is about that texture, but it just feels really horrible.

I was thinking about other fruits which could go on pizza (assuming that you like pineapple) and the most viable option - untested as of now - seemed to be raspberries. The kind halfway between sweet and sour, probably. Of course, that could be awful; as I say, it's untested. But I imagine it could be good.

#30 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:15 PM

Raspberries on pizza doesn't appeal to me. Either way, they would wither in the heat. I can't very easily think of many fruits that wouldn't wither quickly in such heat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users