Photo

HowHigh2.qst -- 5/2012 demo

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:32 PM

HowHigh2
(PASTELZELDA)

pandoran.png
here is the current (May 9th, 2012) demo: PastelZelda2012demo.qst (working link as of 6/30/13)
this is the program you will need to run it: ZeldaClassic1.90
if you cannot run Zelda Classic 1.90, know that the game may not work quite right and try: ZeldaClassic1.92b184
or: ZeldaClassicBETASforWINDOWSandMACandLINUXcomputers
in fact, I'm pretty sure this is about to become a 2.50 quest, so I guess you can feel free to play it in that.
please know that, as it currently exists, it was made entirely in 1.90.
there are things it doesn't do that were not considered and there are things 2.5s do automatically that I was not trying to account for until now, moving forward.
don't use 2.1x.
charlotteq.png
the game is free.
I don't profit from it and, by downloading, you agree not to, either.
any perceived outside trademark is parodied or unintentional.
if you have a problem with the game, don't download it and/or delete it from your computer.
any possible adverse effects to your computer (and the systems networked with it) that may be the result of downloading and executing the file are your risks that are to be remedied at nobody's expense beyond your own.
soupoarfore.png
comments and critiques are always welcomed.
I intend to make the scenes more picturesque, maybe even using some real photographs for tiles and screens.
if you feel that you can help with any aspect of the game -- or if you just want to have your objection(s) heard -- holler.

here's a link to the project page:  HowHigh2

Edited by trudatman, 04 July 2014 - 03:40 AM.

#2 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:23 AM

unresolved issue(s):

1- I recently got some feedback that leaving the level three bossroom without beating the bosses may cause the player to get stuck in broken screens. this was either my mistake or a problem with using a 1.92 player version. if you can help me figure out which it was, that'd be great.

edit: later versions seem to be allowing the player to bypass the triggers stepping back of boss screens in parallel maps' extra room that feature walking-on-the-lower-half-only stair warp combos. such combos function as mandatory when blocking the path in 1.90. maybe I will try following that restricted path with an unwalkable tile copy in the second sidescreen entrance column of combos on the screen. it may be weird, but at least it should work. in the mean time, when you are leaving a boss screen, you should be able to make sure it takes you immediately back to the overwold by getting yourself squarely on the first tile of the room next to it and pressing up and down against the tops and bottoms of the first combos of the next screens.

later edit: the "fix" has been implemented and will be featured in the next update.

2- the music is terrible.

Edited by trudatman, 05 September 2012 - 08:22 PM.

#3 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:17 PM

Very nice!
I loved Paper MArio (All 3) also.

#4 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:46 AM

I've read this thread and I can't seem to figure out... why is it called Pastel Zelda? Hope I didn't miss anything obvious.

#5 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:08 AM

working title. so far two palettes have bright pastel colors of blues, purple, pink/red, orange, yellow, and greens. the browns and greys and regular greens are dark and muted. the screenshot shows very little of this. I guess I need to call it something before the nearly inevitable name change to HowHigh2. I hereby promise to not name it anything Dee Ex/Ex Dee nor use any smileys.

#6 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:15 AM

Sounds interesting!
But in the screenshot, I can't really see if that is a ladder that goes down or a bridge, that hangs in the air.

#7 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:58 AM

ladder. and the birds' nest colors are lame because it is a gleeok and those colors seem to match no palette. wanted it brown. tortoise is replaced by a spider. tortoise is now much bigger (dodongo). items in the demo will likely include bombs, wooden boomerang, glass bowl (lens), bud jar and spoon (letter).

#8 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:07 AM

When I read "Pastel Zelda", and mentioned Paper Mario, I thought it was gonna be like...Paper Zelda. icon_deformed.gif

I actually like the screeshot and stuff, but the player character bugs me. That might just be me, though.

#9 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:22 AM

yeah, word. plan is to have him changed plenty. should be soon. going to tighten in the reality versus cartoon looks. smaller head, thinner likely. I think there will many revisions of nearly everything, as this is a large project. using too many repeating tiles right now, but that will change a lot, too. unnamed coconspirator is away for the week. I'm trying to do a lot the tilework under his watch so he feels like it's his project, too. also so he gets used to the gruntwork of gamemaking. that means the demo might feature a less-than-decorated style and plenty of sprites stolen from HowHigh, possibly including the player set. grand plans, for sure.

#10 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:56 AM

I thought the same thing rem. But anyway great job!

#11 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:18 AM

QUOTE(trudatman @ Nov 19 2010, 08:58 AM) View Post
ladder. and the birds' nest colors are lame because it is a gleeok and those colors seem to match no palette.

Go to palettes => Misc 2 or something like that (been years since I used ZC). It has all the boss palettes there. If you want to edit tiles with those colours showing, import that cset into cset 9 (I think there's a button in the palette editor that does that)

Edited by NoeL, 20 November 2010 - 01:19 AM.

#12 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 20 November 2010 - 11:11 PM

am I right in reading that as "the gleeok palette is viewable, but not editable?"

#13 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:56 AM

No, it's both. You can edit it in the Palette Editor, but if you want that palette to be included as a "preview" when you're cycling through palettes in the Tile Editor (helpful when you're editing the Gleeok tiles) you have to click "use as cset 9" or something like that in the Palette Editor.

#14 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 21 November 2010 - 01:32 PM

I think I understand. thanks. is cset nine already in use for other things? I appreciate your help. that character will look much better in browns.

#15 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:14 AM

Cset 9 is a level-specific cset (if you go to Palettes -> Levels you'll see csets 2, 3, 4, and 9) and I think it gets replaced with the boss palette on boss screens (so you can't have Aquamentus and Gleeok on the same screen with different colours - I think). For this reason you should also avoid making items for cset 9, unless you want the item to change colour between levels/boss fights.

If you noticed in the original Zelda game the Zols/Gels were the same colour as the level, but on the overworld the Zoras and Black Moblins used that black/green/red cset. Both use cset 9, but have different colours. That's because the colours in cset 9 for the overworld palette were different to the colours in cset 9 for the level palettes.

When you're editing tiles the palette shows the level palette's cset 9 by default, but since cset 9 is so variable they added an option to import different csets into the preview palette, overriding cset 9. This is only as a preview though, and doesn't replace the level cset 9. When you run the game everything that uses cset 9 will still be in the level cset 9 (unless it's a boss with a unique palette, like Gleeok, in which case the Gleeok cset will be imported to cset 9 for that screen).

Sorry if that's confusing, but if you understand the mechanics of it you'll be better able to use/exploit it efficiently/creatively.

To help you with the terminology:

Palette: The palette is a 16x16 colour grid (256 total) that holds ALL the colours a screen is capable of showing at once (this includes "shadows"). The palette can change colours by swapping out csets.

Cset: A cset (or "colour set") is a 16x1 colour grid/line (16 total). The palette consists of 16 csets numbered 0-15 (I think only 0-11 are editable in ZQuest). Each sprite can only use the colours from ONE cset at a time (never versions of ZC allow for the use of the whole palette, but I wouldn't use that until you know how the palette works. Just stick to basic stuff for the moment). The first colour in a cset (position 0) is the token assigned for transparency (in the tile editor it will have a little X through it). This colour will only be visible if the tile is drawn on the bottom layer (layer 0) of a screen. Each cset has it's own default intended use, and may or may not be global csets (global csets stay the same for the whole game). They are as follows:
  • Cset 0 (global): Used for "blue" subscreen elements (e.g. bomb icon). Position 1 is also the default colour for text.
  • Cset 1 (global): Used for "red" subscreen elements (e.g. hearts, key icon).
  • Csets 2-4 (local): Level-specific "background" csets. Each level can be assigned unique csets 2-4, and most screens use only these csets.
  • Cset 5 (global): Used for the subscreen.
  • Cset 6 (local): Link's cset. It's level-independent, but changes depending on which ring is equipped.
  • Cset 7 (global): Used for "blue" enemies/items.
  • Cset 8 (global): Used for "red" enemies/items.
  • Cset 9 (local): Level specific "sprite" cset. Used for "black" or "level" enemies/items. This cset is replaced by a "boss" cset in screens with boss enemies that use a unique cset (e.g. Aquamentus, Gleeok, Ganon).
  • Cset 10-11 (global): Misc sprite csets.
  • Cset 12-15 (?): I think these are used for the ZC/ZQ menu itself and are not editable or used by the quest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users