Photo

Welcome to the Summer 2020 Two-Week Contest!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 David

David

• Administrators

Posted 18 July 2020 - 07:26 PM

PureZC Summer 2020 Two-Week Contest

There's been a lot of chatting in the past few months about a new two-week contest happening in the summer of this year, so we are happy to finally announce it! It's been a long time since a standard two-week contest has been held in official capacity, but given the interest towards having one this year we've decided to go ahead with it and give everyone the opportunity to do something fun this summer. For those who are new, the two-week contest is a fun event in which participants have two weeks to create a new ZC quest after an initial preparation period, after which the community votes for their favorite quests in a variety of categories.

Time Schedule

The preparation phase of the contest will begin from now until August 1st, after which the quest development period will occur until August 15th! The submissions will be released to the public on August 16th, and everyone will have until August 30th to play the quests. Polls will be released after the quest playing period for people to vote on their favorites in a variety of quest categories, from which winners will be determined. More details will be released in regards to the polls themselves when the time comes around to it.

Submission Instructions and Contest Guidelines

We will be using a dedicated subforum for this contest; therefore, submissions will occur similarly to how they work with the Expo. Once you are done creating your quest, you must create a post within this subforum, after which the post itself will be hidden from public view. There are no real restrictions for how you should format and present your quest in the topic, other than obviously providing a link to download the quest itself for others to play while following the contest guidelines that are described below. Do not forget to share what ZC version you are using to make your quest!

Additionally, please preview and proofread your post to make sure everything looks good on your end before you click "Post", and make sure to upload any images you'd like to use in your post to a photo-sharing website as PureZC will not host the images! If you find yourself in need of editing your post submission after submitting, please let the staff team know and we will be happy to assist you.

Now for some contest guidelines/rules to follow throughout the whole process of the contest. These guidelines are set in order to keep the contest streamlined and fair for everyone that wants to participate. If any of you need clarifications on the guidelines or need to know if something is allowed, please reach out to the staff!

• The quests must be made with ZC versions 2.53 or 2.55.
  • No work in the quest file can be done before the quest development period begins. This includes writing scripts, making tiles, or any other such related quest work. When the quest development period begins, the expectation is that you make a new quest file in ZQuest and start from there (or if using a tileset from the database, that can be your "new" quest file).
  • You are allowed to use resources that are already available on the site database or already made for your quest, and are allowed to gather such resources during the preparation period (but not put them into the quest file itself).
  • Use the preparation period to plan out your story and write down your ideas, plan overworlds/dungeons on paper, and gather all the resources in one place! That way, when the quest development period begins, you have everything ready to go to focus on making the quest itself using ZQuest.
  • Don't think too big and overwhelm yourself! The quest development period is 14 days in total, so make sure to keep that in mind during the preparation period when planning ideas!
  • Last but not least, have fun!

In short (and importantly), you cannot make anything in ZQuest or write any scripts, make music, or make tiles for your quest during the preparation phase. This is to keep things from becoming ambiguous in terms of what's allowed and to keep things fair for all participants.

We hope everyone is excited about the announcement of the contest! Remember, all quests submissions to the subforums will be due on August 15th, two weeks after the quest development period starts on August 1st! Please use this topic to ask questions related to this contest and also express interests in joining! We look forward to seeing your quests and we hope this goes well for everyone!  :)

• Anthus, Mani Kanina, Shane and 6 others like this

#2 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 18 July 2020 - 08:08 PM

Yeah I have two questions for clarification that I'd like to pose:

The quests must be made with ZC versions 2.53 or 2.55.

This means 2.53 is fine and we are not forced to use 2.53.1 betas, right? Similarly, I assume any betas or alpha versions of 2.53.1 or 2.55 is fine, correct? (Few people keep perfectly up to date).

No work in the quest file can be done before the quest development period begins. This includes writing scripts, making tiles, or any other such related quest work.
You are allowed to use resources that are already available on the site database or already made for your quest, and are allowed to gather such resources during the preparation period (but not put them into the quest file itself).

I mostly want clarification on this in regards to scripts, since that's relevant to me. So, like, anything I have scripted, even if not publicly released, before today would be allowed to be included? But nothing I script between now and the contest launching?

And where does that place content being made between now and the start of the contest that wasn't specifically made for it? And does the answer to that change if it was publicly released to the database?

I realize I sound pedantic, but I'm also in the process of making updates and additions to the code base of the tileset I manage, and on the side I'm working on a quest project that have scripted features. So I kinda want to have a grip on what I can and can't use, and these questions reflect that.

Also, you don't need to sign up anywhere to join, right? You just post a thread before the deadline?

#3 ywkls

ywkls

Paladin

• Members

Posted 18 July 2020 - 08:44 PM

From what I understand, you don't want the creation of anything new.

But anything which has already been produced is fair game?

Also, is there any specific style or them which this contest will have or just do what you want?

#4 David

David

• Administrators

Posted 19 July 2020 - 10:21 PM

This means 2.53 is fine and we are not forced to use 2.53.1 betas, right? Similarly, I assume any betas or alpha versions of 2.53.1 or 2.55 is fine, correct? (Few people keep perfectly up to date).

Yep, that's correct! Just be sure to specify exactly which version you're using in the submission.

I mostly want clarification on this in regards to scripts, since that's relevant to me. So, like, anything I have scripted, even if not publicly released, before today would be allowed to be included? But nothing I script between now and the contest launching?

And where does that place content being made between now and the start of the contest that wasn't specifically made for it? And does the answer to that change if it was publicly released to the database?

Thanks for bringing up the questions! Basically anything made before the preparation period started when the contest was released is fair game even if not publicly released, and therefore so is anything that's on the database before that period. Anything made between now and when quest development starts is not fair game even if publicly released. We felt this was the most fair approach overall when considering both sides of the situation in terms of the guidelines. Hopefully that helps clarify!

Also, you don't need to sign up anywhere to join, right? You just post a thread before the deadline?

Yeah, that's right! There's no need to officially sign up, though it's still nice to see who is interested in participating!

From what I understand, you don't want the creation of anything new.

But anything which has already been produced is fair game?

Also, is there any specific style or them which this contest will have or just do what you want?

Yeah that's basically what we were going for in terms of the guidelines. There's no specific style or theme for this contest so make anything you'd like!

• Mani Kanina likes this

#5 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 20 July 2020 - 05:02 AM

Okay, cool, thanks for answering my questions.

Anything made between now and when quest development starts is not fair game even if publicly released. We felt this was the most fair approach overall when considering both sides of

I guess I should fork my local branch of the tileset then (since I plan on using that), this does mean I can use a slightly more updated version of it, but eh, hey, anyone can add to a tileset and make changes when they make their quests so maybe not a huge deal.
  • David likes this

#6 Zaxarone

Zaxarone

Gigi & Merri Superstar Saga

• Members

Posted 30 July 2020 - 10:59 AM

im in. gonna make an 1.5 inbetween quest for sirknight

#7 David

David

• Administrators

Posted 31 July 2020 - 12:51 PM

I know I should've posted this sooner, so I apologize; I left work later than expected today...

Quest development starts very soon for a lot of people! I hope all of you that are wanting to join have done your adequate preparation! You may start quest development when your time zone reaches midnight on August 1st! Consequently, your submission (read instructions in the opening post) is due by 11:59pm in your timezone on August 15th. Hopefully doing it this way keeps it convenient for everyone!

We will post a message when no more submissions are allowed at all! Best of luck to everyone participating!

• Shane likes this

#8 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:05 PM

Well, it's past midnight so it's August the first now in my time zone, I guess I could start. :Y

#9 Shane

Shane

Go Gollab

• Members

Posted 01 August 2020 - 10:33 AM

Not entering (focusing on existing project while I have the free time), but I wish everyone good luck! And above all else, have fun making your entries and don't stay up for days on end! :D

• nicklegends likes this

#10 Shoshon the Elegant

Shoshon the Elegant

White Tiger King!

• Forum Staff

Posted 01 August 2020 - 10:39 AM

I've finished my first two dungeons now. Working on an old idea from a former staff member.

• Nathaniel and nicklegends like this

#11 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 02 August 2020 - 01:45 PM

I'm attempting to put together a miniquest using primarily the default tileset called The Legend of Zolda. It's quest where every person is either a zol or a gel. We'll see if I can get this done within two weeks.

• nicklegends likes this

#12 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 07 August 2020 - 03:36 PM

I wasn't planning on participating, but just as the "development period" began, I had this random idea for a small quest. Since development went well and the time was right, I figured I could submit it to the contest. As of today it is already done, so there'll be an entry from me.

• nicklegends and Mani Kanina like this

#13 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 07 August 2020 - 09:28 PM

I started working on something completely different than I was thinking before the contest started, I have made decent progress though, two dungeons and some light overworld in between. I want to achieve a few more things with it before I wrap it up, but I think even in it's current state it would be something to put out.

• nicklegends likes this

#14 Shoshon the Elegant

Shoshon the Elegant

White Tiger King!

• Forum Staff

Posted 08 August 2020 - 04:47 PM

I've finished all nine dungeons and gotten started on the overworld. There's a lot of polishing to do, but it's going well.

#15 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted Yesterday, 09:46 AM

I've made my submission, but of course I forgot to mention the ZC version. It was made with ZC 2.55 alpha 78. Could you maybe add that in? Since I no longer have access to the post.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users