PureZC Summer 2020 Two-Week Contest
There's been a lot of chatting in the past few months about a new two-week contest happening in the summer of this year, so we are happy to finally announce it! It's been a long time since a standard two-week contest has been held in official capacity, but given the interest towards having one this year we've decided to go ahead with it and give everyone the opportunity to do something fun this summer. For those who are new, the two-week contest is a fun event in which participants have two weeks to create a new ZC quest after an initial preparation period, after which the community votes for their favorite quests in a variety of categories.
The preparation phase of the contest will begin from now until August 1st, after which the quest development period will occur until August 15th! The submissions will be released to the public on August 16th, and everyone will have until August 30th to play the quests. Polls will be released after the quest playing period for people to vote on their favorites in a variety of quest categories, from which winners will be determined. More details will be released in regards to the polls themselves when the time comes around to it.
Submission Instructions and Contest Guidelines
We will be using a dedicated subforum for this contest; therefore, submissions will occur similarly to how they work with the Expo. Once you are done creating your quest, you must create a post within this subforum, after which the post itself will be hidden from public view. There are no real restrictions for how you should format and present your quest in the topic, other than obviously providing a link to download the quest itself for others to play while following the contest guidelines that are described below. Do not forget to share what ZC version you are using to make your quest!
Additionally, please preview and proofread your post to make sure everything looks good on your end before you click "Post", and make sure to upload any images you'd like to use in your post to a photo-sharing website as PureZC will not host the images! If you find yourself in need of editing your post submission after submitting, please let the staff team know and we will be happy to assist you.
Now for some contest guidelines/rules to follow throughout the whole process of the contest. These guidelines are set in order to keep the contest streamlined and fair for everyone that wants to participate. If any of you need clarifications on the guidelines or need to know if something is allowed, please reach out to the staff!
- The quests must be made with ZC versions 2.53 or 2.55.
- No work in the quest file can be done before the quest development period begins. This includes writing scripts, making tiles, or any other such related quest work. When the quest development period begins, the expectation is that you make a new quest file in ZQuest and start from there (or if using a tileset from the database, that can be your "new" quest file).
- You are allowed to use resources that are already available on the site database or already made for your quest, and are allowed to gather such resources during the preparation period (but not put them into the quest file itself).
- Use the preparation period to plan out your story and write down your ideas, plan overworlds/dungeons on paper, and gather all the resources in one place! That way, when the quest development period begins, you have everything ready to go to focus on making the quest itself using ZQuest.
- Don't think too big and overwhelm yourself! The quest development period is 14 days in total, so make sure to keep that in mind during the preparation period when planning ideas!
- Last but not least, have fun!
In short (and importantly), you cannot make anything in ZQuest or write any scripts, make music, or make tiles for your quest during the preparation phase. This is to keep things from becoming ambiguous in terms of what's allowed and to keep things fair for all participants.
We hope everyone is excited about the announcement of the contest! Remember, all quests submissions to the subforums will be due on August 15th, two weeks after the quest development period starts on August 1st! Please use this topic to ask questions related to this contest and also express interests in joining! We look forward to seeing your quests and we hope this goes well for everyone!