• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:30 AM

This thread is a place to share progress on "QLC"

QLC stands for "Cleaned Up, Expanded, Layered Classic" (C.U.E. = Q)

QLC (Work in Progress) Tileset Download (Give Credit)

As you might guess, I'm making slight edits to Classic to allow layering (stuff like making tree shadows black and making the ground on tree tiles transparent [that way you can delete a whole slew of unnecessary tiles that exist only to avoid layering]).

I am also creating new tiles and building what I'm going to call a "playable demo" because I don't know if it will become a completed quest.

I didn't open an official quest project thread because this isn't about making a completed quest, it's about learning how to sprite in Classic, sharing assets I create, discussing edits, and getting feedback. A tileset release may eventually be possible, but either way I'm going to make things available as I go.

I'm going to follow the NES rule of "Clear + 3 Colors" on every tile, but that is the only color restriction. I am also going to try to keep everything true to Z1 perspective and style (I already removed the black outline on chests, for example).

Looking forward to sharing some screens and maps soon. I'm starting to develop a lot of respect for how appealing Classic can look with some simple edits and a new palette.

EDIT: Okay, it's become clear that I need to make very quest-specific edits in the enemy and item editors. Just a heads up.

EDIT 2: Expected to post a map by now, but had to go and redesign how the mountains work.

EDIT 3: Maybe you've already seen my Reworked Grass Tiles for Classic (Updated Jan 31, 2018)

Edited by Cukeman, 24 May 2018 - 12:37 AM.

• Anthus, Shane and Jared like this

#2 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:34 PM

Okay here's the culprit that delayed posting screen/map shots.

I was layering trees (putting the upper portion of 2x2 trees on an overhead layer) and I realized that I wasn't layering any of the mountains, so I thought I'd go ahead and try making them layer-able. It took me a lot of experimentation, but here's what I came up with, and I'm quite pleased with the results!

(Seriously, having Link coming to a dead stop when he's walking south along the ground and stubs his toe on the tip of a mountain peak breaks every law of nature :P  )

Here's the tiles:

34hdvzm.jpg

And here's the walkability:

23w9n5l.jpg

Having the top half of the peaks on an overhead layer adds a nice depth effect, in the same way that layering trees does.

As you can see, I also created a half-tile taller mountain tile to add variety to mountain shapes :)

It takes a bit more time to place them on the screen, but I've been very pleased with the results :)

Edited by Cukeman, 18 May 2018 - 05:47 PM.

• Anthus and Shane like this

#3 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:42 PM

I like this. Please, feel free to use any of my Classic tiles and stuff in this, if you want, or find a use a for them.

• Cukeman likes this

#4 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 30 January 2018 - 05:32 PM

Um... Am I the only person who can't see anything? I don't even get addresses when I hit "quote", just the file names for the images.

#5 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 30 January 2018 - 05:39 PM

Um... Am I the only person who can't see anything? I don't even get addresses when I hit "quote", just the file names for the images.

I had that issue in a SotW thread. I switched browsers and then saw that the SotW images were there. Dunno what else to tell you. I also wasn't able to see a video in another thread. Dunno why only some linked images/videos are showing up and others aren't.

Edited by Cukeman, 30 January 2018 - 05:40 PM.

#6 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 30 January 2018 - 11:31 PM

I figured it out. I had an extension on Firefox called "Smart HTTPS" that was screwing things up. I disabled it, and I can see the images now.

#7 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:42 AM

Slightly expanded how the mountain tiles work to better show elevation.
Took a super long time redesigning them to be elaborate, and then simplifying them back down until I'd ironed out the quirks

ir3up4.jpg

Edited by Cukeman, 18 May 2018 - 07:49 PM.

• Shane likes this

#8 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:59 PM

Started editing and incorporating certain tiles from Lightwulf's Classic Overworld Expansion Pack

also added tiles by Joelmacool

Edited by Cukeman, 27 February 2018 - 03:54 PM.

#9 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:50 AM

Imported clouds from the following games.

Dragon Warrior (left side) & Zelda 2 (right side):
1218rxw.jpg

Bubble Bobble Part 2:
2lwonc1.jpg

Mr. Gimmick:
8x3gia.jpg

260ww0k.jpg

Mr Gimmick clouds are really fancy and modular

Also, check out the sideways waterfalls I made (if you haven't already)
10zmn0i.jpg

Which are available here:
Sideways Waterfalls for Classic

Edited by Cukeman, 18 May 2018 - 05:52 PM.

• Anthus, Shane, Sheik and 2 others like this

#10 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:02 AM

Cool beans!

#11 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 22 February 2018 - 02:15 PM

This is looking great, as I said on discord.

I think the Mr. Gimmick clouds are my favorite of the clouds. I will say, I think the first, simpler version without the extra puffs, and blues looks a lot better in classic. I love the more detailed version on its own though, and think it would work great in other, more color heavy sets, in spite of still using only three colors. Even though they follow the NES color rule, they use a ramp, whereas all objects in Classic use three different colors.

This is really minor, and does not matter at all, all this looks great, this is just my opinion. I'm last last person to care about minor palette inconsistencies, if it can even be called that.

• Cukeman likes this

#12 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:38 AM

Using texture/shading to indicate uphill slopes between different elevations:

op09dw.jpg

Same thing, this time with normal, thick, and tall grass:

24oumiw.jpg

(you probably wouldn't put tall grass on a slope though)

Edited by Cukeman, 18 May 2018 - 08:09 PM.

• Anthus likes this

#13 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:42 AM

I put up a link in the OP (Give Credit). It's a work in progress, so it's subject to change, but I feel the progress I have so far is pretty solid. At this point a download would basically be just to look at my custom tiles and combos. I should really post some more screenshots and sprite work in this thread soon. Just got a working 64-style Armos done, so I'm happy about that.

Edited by Cukeman, 01 March 2018 - 02:53 PM.

#14 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:38 PM

The quest for topography in Z1 continues with sideways (and north side) slopes:

2vmfsx2.jpg

de4twg.jpg

Edited by Cukeman, 24 May 2018 - 12:23 AM.

• Shane, Sheik and Jared like this

#15 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:57 PM

Huh, that actually looks pretty cool. Makes me wish ZC could easily do conditional diagonal movement, so Link could 'walk up' slopes from the side.

edit: And I'd keep the north slopes. It looks good, and fits the style perfectly.

• Shane and Cukeman like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users