Photo

Screenshot of the Week 350

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 350 (49 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:56 AM

QUOTE(Fausch @ Dec 29 2011, 08:40 AM) View Post

Gonken's was probably the second on my list, but people have gone a little MC-happy as of late.

I disagree even though Gonken uses MC he uses it differently then most people.

Also Orin where is your custom subscreen? icon_razz.gif *runs*

Edited by Shane, 29 December 2011 - 03:00 AM.

#17 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:25 AM

I voted for Orin XD this time around. I am still a sucker for GBC shots. This one is done very well. icon_smile.gif This week has some very well done shots though, so it was a bit difficult to choose.

#18 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

)M( Still No Tombs In The Sims 4 )M(

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:39 PM

You know, I learned something this week. I learned that no matter how hard I try, I can't do anything. I have no true power of my own, nor do I have anything at all that I can contribute to this community. Only with the power of God can I do anything meaningful. In fact, if it wasn't for His power, I would either be a jerk or a dead man. I have not earned a single thing that I have in my life. Everything that I have was given to me. The only true gift that I have is that I am blessed with the things and the life that I have. The sole purpose of my existence is to observe, remember, and think.

I would have voted for Orin XD's shot had I not entered. Due to what I said above, I will never enter this contest ever again. That is an eternal promise, and nothing will ever change my mind. Nothing at all. Entering this contest is my second big mistake on this site. Submitting loose tiles is my first big mistake.

Edited by Nolornbon, 29 December 2011 - 04:56 PM.

#19 blue_knight

blue_knight

Adept

• Members

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE(Nolornbon @ Dec 29 2011, 01:39 PM) View Post

You know, I learned something this week. I learned that no matter how hard I try, I can't do anything. I have no true power of my own, nor do I have anything at all that I can contribute to this community. Only with the power of God can I do anything meaningful. In fact, if it wasn't for His power, I would either be a jerk or a dead man. I have not earned a single thing that I have in my life. Everything that I have was given to me. The only true gift that I have is that I am blessed with the things and the life that I have. The sole purpose of my existence is to observe, remember, and think.

I would have voted for Orin XD's shot had I not entered. Due to what I said above, I will never enter this contest ever again. That is an eternal promise, and nothing will ever change my mind. Nothing at all. Entering this contest is my second big mistake on this site. Submitting loose tiles is my first big mistake.

That's a strange reaction. Your shot isn't bad, in my opinion, it just isn't as good as some of the others. It doesn't hurt to compete, even if you lose, because you get better with time. Of course, it's your decision. icon_confused.gif

#20 Yapollo

Yapollo

To Discover

• Members

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:16 PM

*sigh*

They are all good, I had to think hard which one to pick.

Gonken obviously added a nice winter flare to the continually developing MZC tileset. Yet, I felt MZC alone did not deserve my vote as other submissions tried for other effects.

Allison also did a very good job on her submission. The retro colors supplemented the design well, and it originally had my vote.

Norlornbon mixes winter gameboy graphics with a town scene effectively

OrinXD's winter scene alone was well designed, but the new health gauge was well designed, although it is a bit of a double edged sword, for the new health gauge feels a little bit too cramped and unfamiliar (but still it remains well designed)

Hubydweyer and Rambly both use Pure well, although Hubydweyer's submission feels just a bit plain, and the lack of Rambly's custom sprite was bit of a disappointment.

Feenicks also almost got my vote. A well designed frozen water screen, and the glossy sprite choice helped bring out some colors.

Ultimately, though, I had to go with William. I have deep respect for anyone who makes custom sprites. But respect does not earn a vote. But well-designed custom sprites are worth a vote. William's submission was clean, recognizable and colorful. It was a difficult choice, but William's work earned my vote in the end.

Excellent job by everyone.

EDIT: Grammar error, please don't kill me

Edited by Yapollo, 29 December 2011 - 06:17 PM.

#21 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE(Yapollo @ Dec 29 2011, 05:16 PM) View Post

Hubydweyer and Rambly both use Pure well,
Technically my shot's not Pure, but Descendant, which is sorta like Pure's ancestor or cousin (I'm not sure which came first--I think both were based off of Mystic Land ultimately). The palette's mine, though.
Sorry, just had to nitpick at that one point. icon_razz.gif

and the lack of Rambly's custom sprite was bit of a disappointment.
I know. icon_frown.gif

#22 Vinyl Scratch

Vinyl Scratch

• Members

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE(Nolornbon @ Dec 29 2011, 03:39 PM) View Post

-religious rant-

-says he'll never enter the contest again-

Uh, you lost one contest and then give up entirely? That's not how you get better. You submit a screen, get criticism on said room, and figure out how to get better.

Quitting is only proving your theory that you can't do anything. @_@

#23 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE(Vaelstrom @ Dec 29 2011, 05:40 PM) View Post

Uh, you lost one contest and then give up entirely? That's not how you get better. You submit a screen, get criticism on said room, and figure out how to get better.

Quitting is only proving your theory that you can't do anything. @_@

THIS. So much.

Okay, dude, so you didn't win. You know who else has entered and not won? A lot of people over the years. The difference is that they kept trying. And you know what? Most of them eventually won at some point.

And to be QUITE fair, if you think you can solicit people's sympathy by quitting and feeling sorry for yourself, you already ARE a bit of a jerk. And selfish, too.

Now on topic, as someone who can't make maps worth anything, I'm amazed by all of them. I like William's the best on account of the tileset he uses makes me legitimately interested in his quest. I'll admit, though, his sprite of Link doesn't impress me much. Feenicks is a close second due to his intriguing combination of color and weather.

Edited by DavidReinold, 29 December 2011 - 07:01 PM.

#24 Yapollo

Yapollo

To Discover

• Members

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE(Rambly @ Dec 29 2011, 06:34 PM) View Post

Technically my shot's not Pure, but Descendant, which is sorta like Pure's ancestor or cousin (I'm not sure which came first--I think both were based off of Mystic Land ultimately). The palette's mine, though.
Sorry, just had to nitpick at that one point. icon_razz.gif

No problem, it's my bad for being lazy. I deserve such correction if I am ever going to learn all the tilesets individually.

#25 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:05 PM

To tell you the truth Nolornbon, I love seeing you enter your shots. I know it doesn't seem quite fair that you've not won a SotW thus far. I've entered the contest on several occasions, myself, and only ever won 2, maybe 3 times in the 8 years I've been here. I don't see that as a reason to give up completely though. I really do enjoy seeing your entry in the Dropbox queue, usually one of the first ones too. Please don't give up. Perhaps at sometime we'd go up against each other.

#26 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:06 PM

Allison also did a very good job on her submission. The retro colors supplemented the design well, and it originally had my vote.

There's only one l and im not even a girl. Jeez listen to more Slowdive plebe.

#27 William

William

Banditos

• Members

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE(Nolornbon @ Dec 29 2011, 04:39 PM) View Post

I have to admit, that's a really strange reaction to not winning two or three SotW's in a row. Can I ask what this has to do with God? Is it possible that you are mis-directing your sudden change of heart?

#28 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:27 PM

Hey! thats no way to act, just because you aren't winning. Look at me, I've entered plenty of these, and yet I haven't won yet, and just because I haven't won doesn't mean I just give up, It tells me I've gotta Improve, and get better icon_biggrin.gif, thats what I say to my self everytime I don't win one of these, and On top of that, this little contest is just for fun, well and bragging rights, so don't give up!, keep at it and eventually you'll win, you just have too keep improving.

#29 Supindahood

Supindahood

Wizard

• Members

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:54 PM

Gonken obviously added a nice winter flare to the continually developing MZC tileset. Yet, I felt MZC alone did not deserve my vote as other submissions tried for other effects.

Thanks, and I'm not sure if I remember correctly what MCZ is, but I built this tileset up myself.

#30 Professor Bedwetter

Professor Bedwetter

Strangers when we meet

• Members

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE(Yapollo @ Dec 29 2011, 03:16 PM) View Post

Hubydweyer and Rambly both use Pure well, although Hubydweyer's submission feels just a bit plain, and the lack of Rambly's custom sprite was bit of a disappointment.

I'm going to pull a Rambly here, technically I am using Pure Remembrance.

Also I voted for Alison.

I feel I should address this
QUOTE(Nolornbon @ Dec 29 2011, 01:39 PM) View Post

Dawg, it's a game. Winning SOTW doesn't make you better or worse than anyone. Your shot is creative and I really like the use of your tiles, and hell, it will probably work really well in game. But the thing is that a good playing screen does not always equal a good SoTW screen. Just because you didn't win doesn't mean you are bad. The people who can make good showing off screens and also good playing screens is very few.

Edited by Hubydweyer, 29 December 2011 - 09:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users