Photo

Screenshot of the Week 369

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 369 (58 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:15 AM

PrinceMSC
IPB Image
"Are you curious?"

Nolornbon
IPB Image
Nikki finds her path blocked by a barrier. It looks like the lock to it is in the area guarded by the Defender Darknuts. Floor tiles based on perspective demonstration made for me by Lightwulf.

Jared
IPB Image
Yay for no subscreens! icon_deformed.gif

Ventus
IPB Image
Using Pure for the first time.

Keiichi123
IPB Image
Link wonders through the dark Akalore woods, unarmed. (Did I get the name right Jared? icon_lol.gif)

Shane
IPB Image
Link is so furious at the fact that he can't get the chest blocked off he scared the villagers away! ...Or Shane could be just too lazy to add them. icon_frown.gif

#2 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:28 AM

Wow. These are some damn good shots.

PrinceMSC: You've got my vote. That looks gorgeous. I don't know what tileset it is, but it looks awesome and you're using it well.

Nolornbon: I think your perspective is coming across more like you want it to this week. The darknut facing south (though I'm not sure how to avoid that, to be honest) looks a little strange in a side-scrolling area, and I can't tell if the patterned tiles are supposed to be floor or wall tiles. Nice job though.

Jared: Nice shot. No complaints.

Ventus: I don't really like the Pure tileset all that much, but that's not your fault. I think the only issue is that the areas of darkness look a little awkward and unnatural.

Keiichi123: Very nice. I'm really diggin' the tileset.

Shane: Also nice. The placement of flowers seems a bit strange to me, but I don't think it deteriorates much from the screen.

Edited by Hergiswi, 04 June 2012 - 01:31 AM.

#3 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:30 AM

I can easily tell PrinceMSC has got this in a bag. But as much as I love his if I didn't enter I would have either voted for Keiichi123 or Jared as they both made very well designed screens.

#4 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:44 AM

No contest this week. Congrats PrinceMSC. icon_clap.gif

#5 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:48 AM

Prince drops out of nowhere and submits and awesome shot to SotW. I think we all know where the votes are going this week.

Prince: It's awesome, nothing else needs to be said.

Nolornbon: The tiles directly behind the player and enemies really throw off the perspective. I'd say just ditch them and stay with the main background.

Jared: Very well designed screen. Nothing else to say.

Ventus: The layout is good, but it feels a bit empty. Add some trees or rocks or something to the middle area to spruce it up.

Keiichi: Second place this week, easily. Very nice, gives me a definite old-THP feel while at the same time being unique in its own way. I like the way this one's shaping up.

Shane: As a village shot, it's perfect, but feels a bit empty for SotW. icon_shrug.gif

#6 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:16 AM

OMG, where did Prince come from? Other than that his screen is just plain awesome.

#7 PrinceMSC

PrinceMSC

Remember the Name

• Members

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:32 AM

QUOTE(Hergiswi @ Jun 4 2012, 01:28 AM) View Post

PrinceMSC: You've got my vote. That looks gorgeous. I don't know what tileset it is, but it looks awesome and you're using it well.

This is my newest attempt at another tileset. Some tiles in this set are ripped from Minish Cap, and some of the MC tiles have been edited to look better or fit the set. Then there are sprinkles of other tiles from other sets, most of those I've edited to go with the set as well. Other than that, the rest are purely made by me. In fact, most of the tiles in this shot are made by me.

I know this really came out of nowhere, with me being absent and all. But I was just curious to see what you guys thought of the tiles. I may do this more often as the set nears completion.

icon_king.gif PrinceMSC icon_king.gif

Edited by PrinceMSC, 04 June 2012 - 11:30 AM.

#8 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:38 AM

Nol, I like what you're doing here, but everything clashes, man. The classic-styled foreground and the well detailed background just don't mesh well.

Jared and Shane, I'm assuming these shots are part of the same deal. Nice work, not a whole lot else I can say.

Ventus, that's not a bad shot. I really can't say good or bad about it, it seems like a pretty standard old Pure shot.

Keiichi, Nice work, but it just feels like it's been done before.

PrinceMSC[/thread]

Edited by Fausch, 04 June 2012 - 07:40 AM.

#9 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:53 AM

PrinceMSC: A solid shot. The vibrant palette caught my eye more than any other shot. The colors are unified and balanced, so perfect. The graphics are superb and very unique. Perfection 10/10

Nolornbon: No...just no. The background contrasts way to much and clashes with everything else. I cannot tell if this is sidescroller or standard perspective. You've got the right idea for the classic tiles however, the two blends just don't work. 1/10

Jared: This screen is decent, but not the best. The southwest area is enhanced and has that wonderful modernized LttP look. Though, the northeast are is too bland and simple. They do not necessarily blend, but the bottom left is more loud. If the grass had more detail and or patterns in the top right it would work well. Otherwise, the flow is just alright, a little too crammed. Also, that flower. No. 6/10

Ventus: A below average screen for Pure. The mountains are a bit too simple, even in nature with erosion and straight edges. The repetitive tiles and patterns throws off the variety and makes the screen low quality. I understand this is your first time using Pure, however I feel you could have done much better. Not that there is a standard time limit for good shots, but, it seems like you threw this together in no more than 10 minutes. 2/10

Keiichi: Your concept of the screen's design is very good. But I'm not a fan of how light and creamy the greens, both shaded and not, blend too much. The shrubbery's shadow cast on the right waterfall doesn't really work well. I feel you were a step below from above average were something more original and unique were added. 4/10

Shane: Pretty good thar. The screen is harmonized, unified, balanced and pretty good. But I've been seeing this tileset a bit and it's just not original as it was to me. If you could add some varying stone path/walkway tiles like cracked, mossy, and so on it would be better. 5/10

#10 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

)M( Still No Tombs In The Sims 4 )M(

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:07 AM

In my shot, the patterned tiles are floor tiles.
The maze with the pipes in this shot conveys the perspective I am going for.

Edited by Nolornbon, 04 June 2012 - 09:15 AM.

#11 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:47 AM

I can understand where you are coming from, however within ZC it just doesn't work right. I still cant tell if you are using side view/gravity or standard Z1 perspective. And the background still kills the shot. If you eliminated it, that would be a good start.

#12 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:52 AM

PrinceMSC's tileset wins the beauty contest hands down. Now the question is, is it user-friendly?

#13 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:05 AM

You know, when I first saw that someone was linking to a PrinceMSC shot in the chatroom, I thought someone was just thumbing through the archives and happened to find one of his old shots -- although I couldn't help but remark to myself that I didn't remember seeing that particular PrinceMSC screen. Then I had a look at the current SotW. And then I did this: icon_omg.gif icon_wow.gif

Always a pleasure seeing you submit, Prince. It's been a long time.

PrinceMSC: Great custom tiles, great palette, great screen design, great shot. Not much else to say. icon_razz.gif I appreciate the little details you've taken care to place. Things like pebbles being placed closer to the mountain and edges of water and moss growing right next to the waterfall. Also, that water texture looks really interesting -- I'd love to see it animated, I bet it looks great. And to answer the question: Yes! My vote went here.

Nolornbon: It's interesting conceptually, but I'm not sure it actually works all that well aesthetically. I understand what you're going for with the background and it's a neat idea, but as others have said, it doesn't really suit the shot all that well -- the photorealistic graphics are just a bit messy looking when brought down to that many colors, and they don't contrast well with the foreground.

Jared: It's interesting. The idea of using basic shapes for patterns like that is neat. The screen design is kind of cramped and a little bit messy, though. I feel like it could benefit a lot from giving Link a little bit more walking space and breathing room.

Ventus: Hm... have you tried looking at older Pure tileset screenshots? Here's one from codelinker a few years ago. It might be worth it to study shots like these and the default shots packaged with the set a bit more -- they're generally good guidelines to follow to improve your screen design, especially in regards to the original Pure tileset. Beyond the basic things that could improve your screen (curvier mountains, more grass detail, more seashells and palm trees on the beach, more trees near the forest), I also feel as if the path tiles are a bit unnecessary on this particular screen, considering the fact that they don't extend to any other screens. I almost feel like the idea of the beach being so close to the forest entrance is kind of a problem -- the beach could probably benefit from more screens to work with vertically, honestly. That way the actual shoreline itself could be placed further north in the shot and there'd be more room for the ocean itself.

Keiichi123: It's pretty good. I think the flowers could probably be replaced with subtler ones -- most of your tile replacements in the shot use subtler tones and no outlines, and the flowers sort of stand out as a result. Other than that, though, it's solid.

Shane: It's really cool, although I can't help but feel it has the opposite problem of Jared's shot. That is, it's a bit too open. If you extended the brush into the center of the screen by just one tile (especially towards the south), that'd actually help a lot. Also, I feel like that fountain in the upper-left corner of the screen is just there to keep the corner closed -- a proper tree would be a bit less... distracting, I guess is the word I'm looking for? It's good otherwise, though. The level of detail is just about right and the tileset and palette are neat.

#14 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:19 AM

Whoa, this week was a bad week to enter icon_razz.gif

Damn PrinceMSC, (Whom I've never seen before), That shot is just amazing! The tiles are just amazing! The layout is just amazing!
I think we already have a winner icon_smile.gif

#15 PrinceMSC

PrinceMSC

Remember the Name

• Members

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE(Moosh @ Jun 4 2012, 10:52 AM) View Post
…Now the question is, is it user-friendly?
User friendly, yes, very much so. I would say the hardest thing to master would be the water. Though, I really don’t think it’s that hard to build with. But that’s not a fair statement, is it, being the creator and all.

QUOTE(Rambly @ Jun 4 2012, 11:05 AM) View Post
Also, that water texture looks really interesting -- I'd love to see it animated, I bet it looks great.
I believe it is the best water I have ever made. I’ll see about getting an animated screenshot or video of it up.

QUOTE(Keiichi123 @ Jun 4 2012, 11:19 AM) View Post
Damn PrinceMSC, (Whom I've never seen before)
But you have heard of me… icon_razz.gif

Thanks for such a positive feedback guys. It’s definitely a nice welcome.

icon_king.gif PrinceMSC icon_king.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users