chess

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:44 AM

I'm looking for some new players who would be up for some net-chess games.

I use 'Chess Time' on me Android, and Chess.com.

My username on both services is the same as my username here.

If you are interested, post a reply to this thread, with the service that you want to use, and your username; and we'll set up some games. 'Chess Time' is particularly good, as it allows up to a week between moves, so there's no pressure to dedicate a specific amount of time in a given day.

Chess.com however, isn't so nice about things.

I look forward to some fun mental challenges with you.

#2 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:53 AM

Have you played in a club or competitive in any shape or form, if I may inquire? I do like myself the occasional game of chess, but I am really not that good at all.

#3 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:59 AM

I used to play chess in my junior high school days, but I haven't played in 3-4 years and I imagine I rusted quite a lot. I used to have a ton of fun when my friends challenged me at school, but I was never too motivated (due to depression and whatnot) during my personal time. I should try getting back into it one of these days.

#4 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:37 AM

I'd certainly be up for some chess. I set up an account at Chess.com (same username and avatar), but don't know how to search for people. At my best I'd say I'm at least intermediate, maybe a little beyond. I don't have anything android-compatible though, so no 'Chess Time'.

EDIT: A running score in the OP listing wins/losses/stalemates among PZC matches could be fun.

Edited by Cukeman, 23 February 2016 - 06:21 PM.

#5 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:49 AM

I play chess, but usually just off and on here and there. It's not uncommon for me to go years without playing a game. Mostly I used to chess binge randomly over the years. That said, I'm a pretty strong player (probably 2000+ range when playing consistently), though not so hot with blitz time controls unless I play a lot every day and keep that stuff fresh in my mind from day to day. (I believe I may have the worst clock management in the history of chess. >_> )

I messed with chess.com a bit a few years ago but the site features are very aggravating--ads, limited games/tourneys per day/week, locked functionality, "chess.com" community things are for premium users only; basically everything there is designed to get you to pay a subscription fee--I didn't like it very much. Haven't had time to check out anything else since then so I'm not sure what the 'best' free and made for pro's and the average Joe place is. Off the top of my head I can think of ICC, lichness, and chessworld. Haven't joined any of them though so I can't comment. Anyone have an opinion on one?

#6 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:21 AM

I play chess, but usually just off and on here and there. It's not uncommon for me to go years without playing a game. Mostly I used to chess binge randomly over the years. That said, I'm a pretty strong player (probably 2000+ range when playing consistently), though not so hot with blitz time controls unless I play a lot every day and keep that stuff fresh in my mind from day to day. (I believe I may have the worst clock management in the history of chess. >_> )

I messed with chess.com a bit a few years ago but the site features are very aggravating--ads, limited games/tourneys per day/week, locked functionality, "chess.com" community things are for premium users only; basically everything there is designed to get you to pay a subscription fee--I didn't like it very much. Haven't had time to check out anything else since then so I'm not sure what the 'best' free and made for pro's and the average Joe place is. Off the top of my head I can think of ICC, lichness, and chessworld. Haven't joined any of them though so I can't comment. Anyone have an opinion on one?

Well, that's the problem with anything 'free'. They all want you to pay for some sort of premium service. ICC is free for 30 days, and thereafter, a paid subscription.

I play only infrequently, primarily as few people are particularly interested in any regular matches. I kill most Kriegspiel games though.

I'll need to scope out lichess and chessworld, and see if either of those have a non-paid service that isn't awful. I suppose they need to pay for their bandwidth, somehow.

I'm not too fond of how limited the time between moves is on chess.com, and their paid subs don't appear to grant long clock time. This is why I like that Android programme, as it grants move time in days, so I'm not required to either rush; nor to be sitting down for a scheduled match. I can use it from anywhere, when I'm not busy.

I'm likewise open to suggestions on alternatives.

Have you played in a club or competitive in any shape or form, if I may inquire? I do like myself the occasional game of chess, but I am really not that good at all.

Not for many decades. I'm far too casual a player for that, and generally have an occasional game at the club, over a pint or two. hardly professional, by any definition.

I'd certainly be up for some chess. I set up an account at Chess.com (same username and avatar), but don't know how to search for people. At my best I'd say I'm at least intermediate, maybe a little beyond. I don't have anything android-compatible though, so no 'Chess Time'.

EDIT: A running score in the OP listing wins/losses/stalemates among PZC matches could be fun.

Stalemates usually count as a double-loss, in most circles; but if you want to keep score, I won't stop you from doing it however you prefer. I'll see if I can find you on chess.com: Their site is truly painful to navigate, when searching for a player, and the odd thing, is that even when I've known the player ID, it occasionally fails to find it.

Too bad that IPB doesn't have an internal chess server, as some BBS/forums packages do.

Incidentally, am I the only user here these days that uses Android, and not iOS?

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 24 February 2016 - 06:22 AM.

#7 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:54 AM

Ah, you mean long correspondence games? I got curious and checked a few. It seems there is no single site that gives you the best of everything, but a few that can combine. cheessworld.net seems to meet your criteria very well:

http://www.chessworl...rld_summary.asp

They seem to have 1-15 day moves, and team and/or friend matches/tourneys, no ads, etc. Probably have to register to get more details on that though.

And lichess.org seems to have all the live games and hourly/weekly/monthly live tourneys with that kind of good stuff.

#8 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:33 AM

Ah, you mean long correspondence games? I got curious and checked a few. It seems there is no single site that gives you the best of everything, but a few that can combine. cheessworld.net seems to meet your criteria very well:

http://www.chessworl...rld_summary.asp

They seem to have 1-15 day moves, and team and/or friend matches/tourneys, no ads, etc. Probably have to register to get more details on that though.

And lichness.org seems to have all the live games and hourly/weekly/monthly live tourneys with that kind of good stuff.

Good enough: I signed up there (Chessworld), solved their daily puzzle, and if you are also a member there, you are welcome to start a game. Their interface seems straightforward, and lightweight, too.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 24 February 2016 - 07:35 AM.

#9 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:33 AM

Good enough: I signed up there (Chessworld), solved their daily puzzle, and if you are also a member there, you are welcome to start a game. Their interface seems straightforward, and lightweight, too.

I won't have time to commit to anything until the weekend, but we'll play a game after then. I haven't played in a while so it should be a good distraction for me to get my mind off ...things. Tell me: Is the freind/group stuff for free members as well. It might be fun to set up a purezc tourney or something. ....or... here's an idea - maybe we can set up an agn vs. purezc match if there's enough players. Now /that/ should be entertaining. :P

#10 MaeioParty

MaeioParty

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:53 AM

I used to play chess a lot. I was in my school's chess club before I discovered my love for video games.

I had like 12 different themed chess sets including a limited edition star wars one which is somewhere in my attic.

#11 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:54 AM

I won't have time to commit to anything until the weekend, but we'll play a game after then. I haven't played in a while so it should be a good distraction for me to get my mind off ...things. Tell me: Is the freind/group stuff for free members as well. It might be fun to set up a purezc tourney or something. ....or... here's an idea - maybe we can set up an agn vs. purezc match if there's enough players. Now /that/ should be entertaining. :P

Creating teams, and leagues are paid-only, as I discovered by trying to make one. Let me know what day you'd want to try it out, and your username, once you sign up. Then we'll discover if two entirely new members may play against one-another without first playing in any of the 'welcoming' games; and if that counts.

Like most of these other sites, they do not have a simple site usage rules page, or any easy to read list of access rights.

You could always patch in a chess mod on AGN too., as there are a few:

https://www.vbulleti....php?t=232923..

...as an example.

Perhaps that'd liven up AGN a bit?

#12 TK8305

TK8305

I <3 Miyu

• Members

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:47 PM

I kinda suck at Chess.  lol....

Although the times I've played it I had fun still.

#13 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 26 February 2016 - 03:47 AM

I just set up an account at http://www.chessworld.netif anyone wants to play. (username: Gleeok)

#14 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 26 February 2016 - 06:50 AM

I just set up an account at http://www.chessworld.netif anyone wants to play. (username: Gleeok)

I tried to invite you to a game, and of course they redirected me to a 'you need to me a paid member to do this' page. Sigh.

Any chance you could add that plug-in on AGN, so that we don;t need to use third-party sites? It seems that none of them allow two people that know one-another to simply join, and play, these days. That used to be a stock feature everywhere.

#15 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:56 AM

I tried to invite you to a game, and of course they redirected me to a 'you need to me a paid member to do this' page. Sigh.
&nbsp;
Any chance you could add that plug-in on AGN, so that we don;t need to use third-party sites? It seems that none of them allow two people that know one-another to simply join, and play, these days. That used to be a stock feature everywhere.

omygawd. It's so complicated.. They have this thing called 'guest' members and welcomers. See if this works: http://www.chessworl...asp?from=733390

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users