A few questions from a newbie...

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#16 Rossk

Rossk

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 25 July 2009 - 04:06 PM

Thanks. I'll go ahead and try that for now. I've also been visiting a bunch of other ZC forums, as well as reading old topics in this one. I think most of my questions will be answered from that. It would still be nice if I could get some help with these problems though. icon_confused.gif

#17 Rossk

Rossk

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:25 AM

Ok, I've learned quite a bit today. I figured out how to make animated tiles, how to make people walk, and how to use layers. And to solve my Link problem, I'm probably just gonna re-load the graphics pack and start over. If I can, I'll copy and paste the screens I completed to the new quest.

Anyway, I've still got a few more questions. During a cutscene, how can I make Link not be able to move? Or if I wanted to make a scene where Link moves but you don't control him, how would I do that? I think when I was reading some of the old topics I came across the answer to this, but I don't wanna have to go through 36 pages of topics to find it. So can you do this? If so, how?

Second, I need to make a two-tile tall enemy. How can I do this? I think I read somewhere you have to use scripting to this, but I'm not entirely sure. If you do have to, I have no clue how you'd do that.

Thanks for all the help so far! Hopefully someone can answer these last couple of questions. icon_smile.gif

#18 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:22 AM

To stop Link from moving, place solid combos around him.
Or you could use this:
CODE
ffc script NoAction{
     void run(){
          while(true){
               NoAction();
          Waitframe();
          }
     }
     void NoAction(){
          Link->InputUp = false; Link->InputDown = false;
          Link->InputLeft = false; Link->InputRight = false;
          Link->InputA = false; Link->InputB = false;
          Link->InputStart = false; Link->InputMap = false;
     }
}

Which stops him from pressing start or using an item too.

To make it look like Link's moving in a cutscene, use FreeForm Combos or a script (or you can use combo-cycling but it's horrendous and you really don't want to, trust me).

To make a two-tile tall enemy, you also need a script. There isn't really one that's appropriate for doing it yet, but I've been writing a lot of enemy scripts lately and I'm thinking of writing one that you would be able to use to have just a generic Walker or Walker/Shooter style enemy that's larger than 1x1 tiles.
It won't be any time too soon though 'cause I'm going on holiday tomorrow.

EDIT:
Oh, just to clarify: You don't actually move Link himself in a cutscene, you hide Link and move an ffc with Link's graphic on it or similar.

#19 MrMister

MrMister

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:11 AM

QUOTE(Joe123 @ Jul 27 2009, 02:22 AM) View Post
combo-cycling

*shudders*

I'm amazed that Radien had the patience to make that little bird fly across the screen in the DoR set. icon_wink.gif

#20 Rossk

Rossk

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:27 PM

Thanks for the help with that. But how do I make Link invisible during a cutscene?

#21 LJ Bad

LJ Bad

Junior

• Members

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:33 PM

I believe there is a screen flag that you can check that will make Link invisible on that screen. But I haven't ZC'd in a while so I could be wrong. Another way to make him "invisible" is to just put everything on the screen on a layer above him. That way you won't be able to see him.

#22 Rossk

Rossk

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:45 PM

Ok, thanks! That helps a lot!

#23 GamingNomad

GamingNomad

formerly KenMeister

• Members

Posted 27 July 2009 - 02:32 PM

Here's an easier way to do it though:If you go to data>screen data>look for Invisible Link and check it out.It'll only work for the screen you checked it out on,though.

#24 Rossk

Rossk

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:26 PM

Thanks, Kenster. That definitely sounds easier!

Ok, I think I've figured out most things. However, I would like help with a few more things. First, how do I make it so a sound plays only once, like during a cutscene?

Second, how do I put a box around words? Like when I talk to someone or read a sign, how do I make it so the words are in a box?

And last, how do I make it so when press A to read a sign or talk to someone, it doesn't immediately talk to them or read it again? This has been causing me some trouble. icon_frown.gif And is it possible to make someone who's doing something (for example, if Nayru is singing) stop when you talk to them (turns into Nayru's standing tile), then goes back to the regular animation when you finish?

Again, sorry for all the questions. This is definitely a hard program to learn, and while I probably could figure most of this out myself, it saves me a lot of trouble if I can get answers here. icon_smile.gif

Edited by Rossk, 27 July 2009 - 04:37 PM.

#25 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:38 PM

CODE
ffc script SFX{
     void run(int sfx, int dly){
          Waitframes(dly);
          Game->PlaySound(sfx);
     }
}

D0 is the sfx to play, D1 is the number of frames to wait before playing it. There are 60 frames in a second.

In the String Editor, there's a little black box. Click on it, and select the top left of your Message Box tiles, arranged in a 2x2 tile block. If you can't work out how that works, I'll try and do a better explanation.
I'm going to put a label on that box, you're the second person this week to miss that feature.

#26 Rossk

Rossk

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:52 PM

Thanks! I figured it was something simple for the sounds. It won't let me upload the sound I want though. Is there some reason that might be?

And I think I figured out the message box now. Are the four blocks it uses the four corners, and the rest is filled in with black?

I've got another question. How do I make it so Link can slash, as well as use the charge attack? I checked on the sword item and couldn't find anything about it, except the button that said "Allow slash", which I tried and it didn't do anything.

Edited by Rossk, 27 July 2009 - 05:54 PM.

#27 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:11 PM

By 'upload sound' do you mean 'add to quest'?
What are you doing/which slot are you trying to put it in?

Not exactly no.
If you were the split each tile into 4, and made a grid a little like this:
CODE
0 1 2 3
4 5 6 7
8 9 A B
C D E F

Where 0 represents the top left corner of the top left tile, 1 represents 8 pixels further along in that same tile, 2 represents the top left corner of the second tile and F represents the bottom right corner of the bottom right tile...
C-F aren't used at all.
0, 3, 8 and B are the four corners of the box.
1 and 2 are the top edge, and 9 and A are the bottom edge.
4 and 8 are the left edge, and 7 and B the right edge.
And 5 and 6 make up the remaining space in the middle.
I think. That's just off the top of my head without checking though, so it might be wrong.

I'm not sure how allowing Link to slash is handled nowadays, it always used to be from the Init. Data in 2.10, but I don't think I've dealt with a Zelda style quest which was actually started in a Beta at all.

#28 MrMister

MrMister

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:11 PM

Damn Joe you are making 2.5 really appealing right now, but I'm still sticking by 2.10 until 2.5 is officially released. icon_wink.gif

I think there's a scroll item in 2.5 that makes link Slash and Charge, but I haven't looked at 2.5 in years.

#29 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:18 PM

Mm, makes you realise how outdate 2.10 is really doesn't it.

#30 MrMister

MrMister

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE(Joe123 @ Jul 27 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

Mm, makes you realise how outdate 2.10 is really doesn't it.

LALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALALA

Okay, I might download a build of 2.5 again in the near future after I finish a couple more quests. I can see the benefit of at least having one 2.5 quest finished by the time 2.5 is released and PZC updates its database to include 2.5 quests.

EDIT: Typo.

Edited by MrMister, 27 July 2009 - 06:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users