Terraria!

• Please log in to reply
691 replies to this topic

#31 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:43 PM

It's damn near impossible to play to it's full extent on single player. The boss monsters are just way too powerful unless you have some more advanced equipment(above gold).

Pretty much, if you're going to get this, you want to play multiplayer, single player leaves a lot to be desired.

#32 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:46 PM

Multiplayer doesen't work for me, so I have no choice but to play Single Player icon_cry.gif

#33 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:51 PM

I am so sorry for your loss and wish you luck in trying to fight any boss conventionally.

#34 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE(Alestance @ May 18 2011, 06:51 PM) View Post

I am so sorry for your loss and wish you luck in trying to fight any boss conventionally.

What do you mean? Bosses in single player just require strategy. For example, if you pick a good spot to fight the Eye of Cthulhu and use lots of ranged weapons like shurikens and have lots of potions, it should be easy. Now that's only in theory as I've only seen other people do it, but I assume I could do it just as easily...now Skeletron on the other hand...

#35 Daemon

Daemon

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE(Alestance @ May 18 2011, 07:43 PM) View Post

It's damn near impossible to play to it's full extent on single player. The boss monsters are just way too powerful unless you have some more advanced equipment(above gold).

Pretty much, if you're going to get this, you want to play multiplayer, single player leaves a lot to be desired.

With gold armor, potions, and plenty of shurikens, you can easily beat the Eye. Heck, if you're good enough, you could probably get by on iron.

#36 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:21 AM

Made my first house. I still want to add details such as book cases, but I have no chance of getting said items (in dungeons) with the gear I've got >_<

IPB Image
(Click for larger image)

I gotta say though, this game is really really awesome. I think the "it's just like Minecraft" arguments (which I myself agreed with somewhat, until now) are kind of wrong. I say kind of, because it's obvious that there has been some, if not a lot of inspiration originating from Notch's masterpiece, but this is, in all respect, an entirely different kind of game, and aside from the "building a shelter" part, I wouldn't exactly compare the two.

This is more of a... mix between a Metroidvania, Minecraft's openness and non-linearity and possibly Diablo, though I haven't actually played Diablo, so don't quote me on that one. I've just heard other people say it's got similar elements. Anyways, definitely a great game, and I encourage everyone to give it a go!

Again though, I really need to try out the online properly in order to write my article (it's not going to be a review, due to the fact that the game is still very much in development), so anyone willing to spend some time with me in Terraria-world, do shout out!

#37 Daemon

Daemon

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:46 AM

QUOTE(Robin @ May 19 2011, 06:21 AM) View Post

Made my first house. I still want to add details such as book cases, but I have no chance of getting said items (in dungeons) with the gear I've got >_<

Actually, you can enter a little ways into a dungeon without Skeletron spawning and killing you. You have to stay on the top floor though. You can even sometimes find chests before he spawns. I'd imagine you could get 5-10 books.

Nice house, by the way. I like it. icon_smile.gif

#38 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE(Robin @ May 19 2011, 05:21 AM) View Post

IPB Image
(Click for larger image)

Looks like you need some lava, judging by the fact that your guide is still alive. Seriously, they need to make that guy easier to kill off...

#39 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:12 AM

What does everyone got against the guide?

#40 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE(Yoshidude @ May 19 2011, 10:12 AM) View Post

What does everyone got against the guide?

He opens your doors and forgets to close them, letting zombies in.

#41 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:16 PM

The way I stopped Zombies from entering my house, is by lowering the floor two blocks in front of my door. Check out my screenshot.

IPB Image

#42 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:56 PM

That is neat icon_razz.gif

But to be honest, I'm not really... I mean, I don't really care if zombies enters or not. Standing at the door and spamming the sword makes it impossible for them to enter, plus it gives me tons of cash during blood moons icon_razz.gif

Also, for some reason, the guide stays at the second floor, even during daytime. He just does not want to go outside. I always tell him "get a life" and "you need to get some fresh air!!" but nooo, he's just sitting inside all day, and they don't even have video games in Terraria!

#43 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:03 PM

I honestly don't understand what to do in this game xD
I just run around, breaking dirt and killing gels...

#44 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE(Lynker @ May 19 2011, 07:03 PM) View Post
I honestly don't understand what to do in this game xD
I just run around, breaking dirt and killing gels...
There are no goals other than the ones you make yourself. You go down into the darkest depths to mine for precious materials, and make precious items out of them, and build houses that you can live in and attract useful NPCs into, and go exploring. You craft to survive, so you can survive to find things to craft and build with. The exploration is the fun part, considering how many items there are.

That "Piggy Bank" item that the Merchant sells for 1 Gold is very nice. It's like a universal chest that you can put somewhere, and have access to your "bank" (Like in WoW) wherever you are. It's like a portable chest that you can access wherever. That mining helmet is a godsend, too. Well worth the 8 gold.

#45 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE(ShadowTiger @ May 20 2011, 01:20 AM) View Post
There are no goals other than the ones you make yourself. You go down into the darkest depths to mine for precious materials, and make precious items out of them, and build houses that you can live in and attract useful NPCs into, and go exploring. You craft to survive, so you can survive to find things to craft and build with. The exploration is the fun part, considering how many items there are.

That "Piggy Bank" item that the Merchant sells for 1 Gold is very nice. It's like a universal chest that you can put somewhere, and have access to your "bank" (Like in WoW) wherever you are. It's like a portable chest that you can access wherever. That mining helmet is a godsend, too. Well worth the 8 gold.
Oooh, I'm gonna have to get both of those then :3

Lynker, as the shadowy Tiger said, you make your own goals. For example, I started exploring the lands when I found myself faaar away from the safety of my house, so I made another one. When morning came, I went back home and forgot all about said house. Then a few hours later, I get a message that a nurse has appeared. Now, I couldn't find her at my house, so I started thinking "maybe she's at the other one?".

And sure enough, there she was. However, it was way too far away to be practical for me, so I broke down the house, hoping that'd make her move into another house that's much closer to my own. She started walking, but then she decided to jump straight down into a chasm that went so far down. I followed, and for some reason she only wanted to go in the direction of "left", even after I made some stairs leading up. I then decided to make it my quest to get her home to safety, by digging my way towards the house at a slanted angle.

It's just little things like these that makes the game. You need to let your imagination take control, pretty much. In fact, similarly to how you'd play Minecraft icon_wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users