Update and Future Proofing

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 20 June 2020 - 05:15 PM

Progress have been slow since the last update some months ago, I have barely touched the project.
I might move up my plans of migrating to 2.55 (So I can make a proper subscreen using the newly added features).

I'll briefly go over what was mentioned in the previous update to provide my current thoughts on the matters discussed there:

1. More palettes:
A few more were added in the most recent version of the tileset, more might come in the future, they are somewhat quick to make.

2. Tile and combo page fixes, changes, and additions:
So far I have received no further feedback for any additions or changes that would be desired to the combo page, tile page, organization, or other matters. So nothing has really happened on this front. If anyone wants to suggest something for the to-do list, then feel free to reply here with ideas.

----

1. Adding moosh's script for crystal barriers:
Not done, but is a big maybe for the 1.0 agenda.

2. Gutting out the weapon script header that is included in the tileset:
Also not done but is critical to do next time I mess with the scripts.

3. Recruiting another person to help me with the tileset:
Since I'm probably gonna move up migrating to 2.55, this is also moved up on the agenda. If anyone in general is interesting in joining up to co-author the project or take over after I'm done, feel free to either DM me about it or reply here.

4. Implementing missing ZC quick features:
I'm probably cutting this from the agenda. Z1 dungeon pre-fabs are not ideal in structure for how the GB tileset looks.

5. Import missing graphics:
This might get cut from the agenda too. Which is a somewhat sad concession for a GB tileset to make.

----

1. Updating the tileset to ZC 2.55:
I wish it was more stable and closer to release before I migrated the tileset to it, but that might be a good while in the future.

2. Remaking the scripted subscreen/pausescreen:
This is somewhat critical. On the plus side it should be a lot easier to script this in 2.55 and not have to deal with the huge amount of jank that doing this in 2.50.2 was.

----

So I guess the big question is why I'm moving up the migration. To put it plainly: finishing the tileset in a desirable state in version 2.53 of ZC is not possible. Some features that are added in later versions of the engine will make the scripted workload a lot smaller while also being less buggy. That doesn't really answer the why though.

The development of the tileset has been very slow for a looooong time. I can't speak for why the previous co-author left the project, but personally I have lost somewhat motivation in it since the initial rush and work on it. Like, a lot of the bulk work is done and was done very soon after the project started: re-organizing the tile pages and combo pages, the new palette structure, etc. The tileset is in 90% a really good state already, that 10% that isn't a good state is that there is a lot of tileset beta testing tat included with the tileset quest file (tons of screens, etc), and buggy scripted features (subscreen and L&R button item).

But I gotta be realistic, if I haven't been interested in doing much for the project for this long, then it makes more sense to try and wrap it up as soon as possible (help would be appreciated, but not required). The tileset is already, despite the crude state it is in, being adopted and used as somewhat the de facto GB tileset (for better or worse). So clearly there is something good here, and the people who want to use it deserve to have it be more polished and finished. I expected it to be exceeded by another better constructed GB tileset sometime in the future, just like previous ones were, but that is no excuse to leave it in the sorry state it currently is in.

So, going forwards, the current agenda structure is this:

1. Making a definitive 2.53 version.
This one will include gutting out the scripted subscreen and L&R buttons, removal of beta screens and map data. This would still come prepacked with scritps, just not the most glitchy things.
The goal with this release will be to have a release of the tileset that isn't tied to 2.55 (because 2.55 is not widely adopted, for what should be obvious reasons). This should be a more ideal starting point for quest makers now that want to use the tileset in it's current state, and it will also survive going forwards should 2.55 ever end up getting canceled for any reason.

Therefore: If you want in any combo page changes or suggestions, etc, for the last 2.53 version, it's critical they are provided ASAP.

2. Migrating script environment and tileset to 2.55.
This will likely not take too long, but I have not entirely read up on all the changes or additions I could expect. 2.55 will, afaik, have more built in base items, so some re-structuring might be necessary.

3. Coding the new scripted subscreen.
2.55 already has somewhat support for calling item uses from L&R buttons, so that kinda comes for free. I'm not entirely sure the exact solution I want for the scripted subscreen yet in code, but the visual perspective is going to be the same as the current (unfinished) one:
Press start to open page one which has all your inventory items and allowing you to assign to A, B, L, and R. Bottom of the interface will list item name of the currently hoovered over item. Pressing select takes you to page two, this one will display your passive inventory items in a similar way as page 1. Pressing select again moves to page three, this one displays quest items, heart container piece progress, and features a button to save the game. Pressing select again goes back to page one.

If it wasn't clear, the design is somewhat a copy of the oracle games' pause screen, but will be functionally a bit different. As you can tell from this description though, most of these features never got added to the WIP scripted subscreen that the tileset currently has.

4. Public beta testing of the 2.55 version.
I doubt the first draft is gonna be bug free, I will probably host a contest with it in order to encourage some authors to make a few small projects in it.
(The earliest possible estimate for this contest would be this coming [u]winter solstice, but don't expect it at that time, it could very well be much longer).

5. Adding potential more features.
It's at this point I will potentially implement moosh's dungeon barriers or Z1 dungeon prefabs, etc.
This step might very well not happen, it depends on multiple factors. In fact, I might just make a feature suggestion to the devs to add GB style dungeon barriers into the base engine.

Road mapping is fine in all it's glory though, but in practice I'm still not sure when said work will be done. But I do think working to make that definitive 2.53 version should be pretty important at least. At least this update should let people who are interested in the project know the direction it's aiming towards.

Edited by Mani Kanina, 20 June 2020 - 05:22 PM.

• ShadowTiger, Sheik, Aquamentus (Facing Right) and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users