• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:58 PM

Oh dear God I hope I'm not copying anybody.

Hey there! This is a WIP tutorial to cover common misconceptions about stuff in general ZQuest. Scripting, design, etc. This is here to make sure you do not limit yourself over something you think is impossible, but really, isn't. Please, if you feel there is something that should be added to this list, suggest it! It's a WIP after all!

1. Combo Cycling cannot be on layers.

Okay, so there is this thing called combo cycling. You've likely heard of it. It let's you have one combo change into another combo into another combo after it's animation is finished. This is mostly used for spike floors and other shenanigans. However, back in the 2.10 days, you were unable to use combo cycling on layers, as it would just not work. As of the 2.50 update, this is no longer true, and you are now able to use combo cycling on layers. I myself only learned this about 3 weeks ago.

2. Recoloring only works in 4 bit.

When importing tiles, you might notice this thing called "recolor". This recolors your tiles to closely match the original picture. However, it might seem like it's not recoloring correctly, and that it is limited to your current CSet. This is only partly true. It is normally only limited to your current CSet, but if you hold shift while press recolor... Viola! You just recolored your tile more accurately than before!

3. Resetting screens without scripts is impossible.

Ever had an item that you wanted to respawn, or a secret you wanted undone? Introducing the reset combo type! Only in 2.50! It resets the screen state to normal when you step on it! You can even choose what gets reset and what doesn't, using the "no reset" checkbox list in Screen->Data! Hurray for reset combos!

4. Enemy Size is Limited to 4 x 4- Yes and no. With Ghost.zh, the enemy that can be created can only be 4 x 4. However, if you use other methods; you can make a foe pretty much any size that you want. Really, the only limitation is the screen itself. You can even duplicate some of the fancy effects Ghost.zh has, like exploding death animations or having the foe flash when hit; if you know how.

5. Tiered Secrets Cannot Carryover to Another Screen- Even on the same screen, keeping permanent tiered secrets in effects requires a script. Carrying it over to a second screen merely requires another script on that screen as well; along with instructions on how to handle the carryover within the script. I myself have accomplished this and a link to my method can be found within the topic 'Table of Contents for Scripts I'ved Developed/Found' in my signature.

(placing it right here instead, ywkls): http://www.purezc.ne...showtopic=68198

RIP POST THREAD WIP MORE COMING WHEREVER

Edited by Dimentio, 12 December 2015 - 11:34 AM.

#2 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:15 PM

Here's a couple more-

4. Enemy Size is Limited to 4 x 4- Yes and no. With Ghost.zh, the enemy that can be created can only be 4 x 4. However, if you use other methods; you can make a foe pretty much any size that you want. Really, the only limitation is the screen itself. You can even duplicate some of the fancy effects Ghost.zh has, like exploding death animations or having the foe flash when hit; if you know how.

5. Tiered Secrets Cannot Carryover to Another Screen- Even on the same screen, keeping permanent tiered secrets in effects requires a script. Carrying it over to a second screen merely requires another script on that screen as well; along with instructions on how to handle the carryover within the script. I myself have accomplished this and a link to my method can be found within the topic 'Table of Contents for Scripts I'ved Developed/Found' in my signature.

There are a few other things which I've noted that people often assert; but those aren't relevant to Zelda Classic, either when it comes to game and screen design or scripting.

#3 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:00 AM

Here's a couple more-

Yes. For example, in my quest The Forbidden City, the boss you fight in the Goron mine is longer than 4 tiles. I used a simple trick: the main ffc includes the boss's head and body, and then there's another ffc with the tail, scripted so that it always follows the body around.

The boss at the end of level 6 is also considerably larger than 4 x 4. In this instance, the part you have to attack is much smaller than the boss sprite, but the super large parts are actually dummy ffcs that are scripted to flash when the actual boss enemy is damaged.

Edited by Jamian, 12 December 2015 - 08:02 AM.

#4 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:39 AM

Here's a couple more-

4. Enemy Size is Limited to 4 x 4- Yes and no. With Ghost.zh, the enemy that can be created can only be 4 x 4. However, if you use other methods; you can make a foe pretty much any size that you want. Really, the only limitation is the screen itself.

(emphasis, mine)

The screen is a limitation? That's news to me. FFCs can move off-screen, and return; and to my knowledge, nothing prevents them moving by script to a location up to +/- 214747 in any direction. If Link changes screens, that's another matter, as they are a screen object, but they aren't bound to the screen dimensions. By tiling them, you can make an enemy that is 3x the screen width, and pan it back and forth, in a parabolic motion.

I've never seen anyone do that, but it's possible.

Apparently people don't know that drawing off-screen is permitted... It is, including drawing off-screen bitmaps, up to 214747 pixels in any direction, except possibly -Z, but -Z is just...wrong in a 2D game.

See also my thread on drawing myths. Issuing hundreds of drawing commands does not itself, slow down Zelda Classic.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 12 December 2015 - 10:11 AM.

• ywkls likes this

#5 Nimono

Nimono

Ultra Miyoa Extraordinaire!

• Members

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:06 AM

Interesting tips! I had no idea #2 was a thing! Might be helpful for me in the future. :)

#6 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 12 December 2015 - 11:06 AM

Interesting tips! I had no idea #2 was a thing! Might be helpful for me in the future. :)

I'll double-check, but 8-bit ripping is always a rather painful process, usually first involving loading an image palette.

Oh, my...that does work. Why was this not clearly documented....anywhere? You still need to load the graphic palette to a LSet though, and that continues to present a problem in viewing the graphic.

Someone remind me... Isn't there some strange value to enter into the item editor for magic cost, that drains per second, instead of per frame? I seem to recall that you had to set the value to 1nn or something like that, where nn is the number of seconds per MP, or MP per second..

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 12 December 2015 - 11:32 AM.

#7 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:30 PM

3. Resetting screens without scripts is impossible.

Ever had an item that you wanted to respawn, or a secret you wanted undone? Introducing the reset combo type! Only in 2.50! It resets the screen state to normal when you step on it! You can even choose what gets reset and what doesn't, using the "no reset" checkbox list in Screen->Data! Hurray for reset combos!

This was done multiple times on Eddy's Troll Day lol I used this to troll a lot of people... 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tips & Tricks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users