Photo

Screenshot of the Week 150

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 150 (59 member(s) have cast votes)

3 great shots this week!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:03 PM

Here we are with the first SotW for the year 2007! Enjoy this years beginning!

Nuvo
IPB Image
I AM THE GAURDIAN OF THE TEMPLE OF TIME, LEAVE NOW UNLESS YOU WISH TO DIE!

DarkFlameWolf
IPB Image
A battle in the dark woods...

Peteo
IPB Image
Uncle Fester down in the sewers! Cool isn't it? icon_wink.gif

#2 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:08 PM

Hmm... hard to see what's going on in the first 2 shots, since they're JPGs, but hey, better safe than sorry to the lousy thieves of ZC out there. I personally like Nuvo's shot, and it wins for me, since DFW's shot is just a regular shot, nothing really we've not seen before. Peteo's shot is good as well, nice as well.

#3 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:08 PM

Only 3 shots, after this huge delay? =o

Nuvo: Nice tempe, even though I can't really see all the details, unless I put my monitor on a brighter color scheme. Alot of custom tiles also. The darknut, looks very unusual. Its has if he's a ghost.

DFW: Well, its a common Pure shot. Looks like every other forest made in Pure. (DeJa Vu, anyone?)

Petoe: Would have been my second choice. I like the old school feel to this screenshot. But, its still kind of empty. ( Which is not a bad thing for a Old school quest, but for SoTW, it is.)

Votes for Nuvo.

#4 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:17 PM

The darknut is a ghost, actually.

The screenshots are too dark to make out any of the stuff in them... except Peteo's which I will vote for

But allow me to elaborate from the details I CAN see.

DFW's screenshot looks like a standard pure shot to me.

Nuvo's screenshot is just too hard to see and my monitor sucks so I can't brighten it up to see any of it.

Edited by Master_of_Power, 02 January 2007 - 03:20 PM.

#5 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:17 PM

Nuvo - Got my vote. Good temple, good guardian. It could be a tad lighter, though.

DFW - What MW and /M/ said.

Petoe - Has a nice feeling to it, but it seems a little to empty. Try adding some cracks or somethings.

#6 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:31 PM

Yay, HL! Finally! icon_wink.gif

Nuvo - A pretty good shot. Are those temple tiles custom? But that subscreen and the guardian kind of ruin it. I dunno, somehow he just seems a bit out of place, or maybe it's just me, but as I said, quite good shot overall.

DFW - Hmm, the comments for this shot so far... True it looks like a basic Pure shot but it is much more than a basic Pure shot. Unfortunately people have gotten bored of Pure so when they see one they're like "ah, seen this already, whaeva" icon_razz.gif , but actually this shot is as good as Pure shots get. The layout and the small detail is just perfect IMO. A good shot overall.

Peteo - Well this shot is from my small side project that I can hopefully finish this summer. I agree with posters here that it seems empty and so on but I am trying to get a true NES feeling with the quest so I try not to make it look "too good" if you know what I mean. icon_razz.gif Oh and those Ropes.. I will change them to rats later...rats fit to sewers better than snakes IMO.

Had to null this one.

#7 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:31 PM

You people kill me with tough decisions, but I won't be shy by null voting.

DarkFlameWolf - A nice looking quest shot that does well to show the darker side of a forest, but it is not anything that really stands out among screenshots. Nice job and great effort though, as everything is very well placed to make the scene look natural.

Peteo - Now this is definitely unique, but I feel as if I could see more out of it. Perhaps something can be done about those brick floor edges around the water in the center of the shot. It looks a bit awkward to me. Nice job overall.

Nuvo - Although I am not a fan of those type of trees due to the proportions (not enough branch volume, and too much trunk), the rest of the selections are not bad. The ghostly darknut looks good to me, and the ivy and other vegetations are a nice touch.

It was a close call among all three, but my vote goes to Nuvo.

#8 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 02 January 2007 - 04:42 PM

DFW - Hmm, the comments for this shot so far... True it looks like a basic Pure shot but it is much more than a basic Pure shot. Unfortunately people have gotten bored of Pure so when they see one they're like "ah, seen this already, whaeva" icon_razz.gif , but actually this shot is as good as Pure shots get. The layout and the small detail is just perfect IMO. A good shot overall.

Yes, people are already sick of viewing Pure screen shots, that look exactly alike. It is, to me, like Deja Vu. Even worst, most Pure quests pick the same music. And, you are wrong. This is NOT, as good as a Pure shot can get. There is so much stuff you can do to customize, and detail this screen. If this is what my screen look like in my editor, I would consider it 10 percent done. It doesn't even have a custom palette, which could make it more unique. Also, its a .JPG picture format. It would have looked a whole lot better, if it was a .BMP or even a .PNG.

#9 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:34 PM

I almost nulled... but in the end I decided to go for Petoe. It's not an extrodinarily amazing screenshot, but it's still the best of the three.

#10 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:37 PM

To answer your question Petoe, YES! Almost everything in the shot is custom, except the grass. The darknut is and edited MC darknut. I took away the horns and changed the symbol on his shield.

To show everyone what my shot looks like in a daytime palette here it is:

IPB Image

#11 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:40 PM

By the way, for those who said Nuvo's shot is a JPG: It isn't.
There's absolutely no distortion in that image; it is exactly how it appears in Zelda Classic.

#12 Fire Wizzrobe

Fire Wizzrobe

Master

• Members

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:47 PM

Nuvo-
Looks like you put a lot of effort into making these custom tiles. I think the darknut is the best thing in the shot. The trunk of the tree is very attractive. But for the leaves, no. Too much black with a pillow-shaded pattern. I know this is a big jump, but you should aim to make your leaves eventually look like this(Or use the technique to make something similar)..

IPB Image

The contrast between the temple and the grass should be the opposite. It looks as though the pillars were pillow-shaded too. The colors are also a bit murky too. Perhaps a more stone-ish color would look better?

DWF and Peteo
Nice layout and smooth flowing elements, but nothing much that draws intrest.

Edited by Fire Wizzrobe, 02 January 2007 - 05:48 PM.

#13 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:54 PM

So what exactly IS pillow shading, I think I get the gist of it but I don't know exactly what it is.

And sure, I will try to make some trees like yours Wizzrobe, It probobly won't be too hard. Just time consuming.

#14 Fire Wizzrobe

Fire Wizzrobe

Master

• Members

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:57 PM

Those aren't mine. icon_razz.gif (But I sure wish they were) Pillow-shading is going directly from one shade of a color to another in a gradient-like fashion. It would probably take me 5 hours to make that tree.

#15 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 02 January 2007 - 06:01 PM

Got it. Thanks Fire Wizzrobe. But I don't really see how the pillars are pillow shaded though.
As for the temple, my quest idea is a huge ruins in an african savanah type of place. So Given that, what would be a good color for stone in that setup?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users