Photo

December 2Week Contest poll of interest

contest

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: December Two Week Contest

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

How interested are you in a contest happening in December?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Would you take part if such a contest is hosted?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

If you voted yes in taking part, do you also want to take part in the joint option? (see post)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 14 November 2020 - 08:19 PM

So there were two contests that happened back during summer, and of course judging is still going on for the official 6th quest contest, but I have been considering the idea of running a two week contest in December. However, last contest I ran didn't get a very big turn up, and I don't see much purpose in running a contest if no one wants to take part, ergo, this thread.

So, consider this both an announcement of a contest held in mid to late december, but also a poll of interest. I will only go ahead with this contest if at least five people think they want to join in on it, so if you want this to be a thing then make sure to vote in the poll!

As for the thematics of the contest... it will be very open ended. You can make whatever you wish for using whatever tileset, etc, you want. However, a "compiled" option will be offered for those who want to take part in that (assuming there is enough interest). That will all be done in a singular tileset (and for convenience it will be VD), where each person can claim an dungeon (with set dungeon item), or a dungeon + an overworld chunk. And once the contest is fully over I will go through the process of merging that into a single quest. It's an idea that I have kind of wanted to explore in regards to contests, but it lives or dies on people working in the same framework, ergo, I don't want to force that in this contest, but it will be an option.

That is all, feel free to post with thoughts and any questions, and again, I will only go ahead with this contest if enough people are interested.

Edited by Mani Kanina, 14 November 2020 - 08:21 PM.

• Eddy, Joelmacool and Matthew like this

#2 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 15 November 2020 - 10:15 AM

I think if you want to do a collaborative sort of thing, its better to make it its own thing. There's enough issues that can arise there without being constrained to a time limit.

• Shane likes this

#3 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 November 2020 - 10:30 AM

I'm admittedly not too interested with another contest (even though I didn't contribute to the last ones), and I think my reasoning is quite simply the fact that I feel contests are becoming too common. In the last year, we had the official PZC 2 week contest, 6th quest (which is still on-going), two Z-Zone contests (where one didn't end up with anything), and you had another contest earlier in the year. I probably missed some others but I think people are getting burnt out with too many contests happening too frequently. I think this can probably be delayed for a later time (at least a few more months) to have a bit of a break in general for people since the last public contest was just a few weeks ago on the Z-Zone. Of course, I could be wrong in saying this and maybe people feel differently, but that's just my take on it all.

• Shane likes this

#4 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:50 PM

and I think my reasoning is quite simply the fact that I feel contests are becoming too common.

That is why I'm polling for interest, no sense in running one if there is no demand.

two Z-Zone contests (where one didn't end up with anything)

I only heard about one of these (and even then after it had already passed, I don't think they were really brought up on the pure forums? Oh well.

#5 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 November 2020 - 02:49 PM

One was mentioned on the forums when it was happening, but I don't think the other one was.

• Shane likes this

#6 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 15 November 2020 - 07:59 PM

I'm not really into doing any more contests until the 6th quest one wraps up. Now I realize that might just be saying "I'm not into doing any more contests ever" but what I mostly mean is I'm contested out for the time being.

• Mani Kanina and Deedee like this

#7 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 16 November 2020 - 01:10 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing a contest, but I would not be making anything. I just like to see what others do. There have been a lot of contests this year, so I guess we'll see.

#8 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 16 November 2020 - 04:03 PM

None of the contests this year actually had a good turnout. The PureZC one was alright. The last one with a good turnout was frankly the 6th quest contest.

These contests are missing hype imo. Idk what exactly is going wrong though. I'd say 2, or 3 weeks at most is the optimal timeframe. Perhaps it's the way they are presented? I'd say forum thread + discord server is the least you should have.

Also, a collab sort of project is a great idea as well, but not as a contest and definetly not in this strange mix where it's optional? Should be it's own event.

For the question at hand... I'm interested in a contest I guess, but I gotta finish my main project haha.

Edited by Avaro, 16 November 2020 - 04:07 PM.

• Jenny likes this

#9 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 16 November 2020 - 04:30 PM

If this contest took place, I would play the quests and it certainly wouldn't ruin anyone's day to have other quests that they may play. With that being said, the last two weeks contest, which ended a short time ago, had three entries and a grand total of 12 people casting votes (over a two months voting period). I wouldn't expect a much higher turnout this time around. 

#10 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 19 November 2020 - 12:34 AM

Seeing as only three people out of my minimum requirement of five has voted that they would take part in this contest, and that the seemingly majority of active users in this community have voted, I will not be going ahead with this contest.

I'm not sure when will be a good time for another contest, to be honest. I really like contests myself, running them is quite fun, but especially it's fun to see all the creative stuff people put in them. I might have been a bit pushy with them, I have ran quite a few over the last few years (and the last one was a disaster with the only participant who submitted winning by default). But I try to do that because I think it's a good way to keep activity up, and interest in ZC going.

I don't know who will run the next contest, or when it will happen, but I do hope it does happen, and that it's a good one! Thanks for taking part in this interest survey.

• Eddy likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: contest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users