ZeldaClassic: How popular is it?

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#121 grayswandir

grayswandir

semi-genius

• ZC Developers

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

Making it an iso is a horrible, horrible idea.

Not to say that having it as an option would be bad, but making it the main way to do something is...

Thinking about it, we're actually pretty close already. I'm using ZCManager, and it has an option to autoload the first quest slot. If you stripped that down to a single executable that would always load the first save file, you could package ZC with a pre-made save file that has the first quest loaded to what you want. If there were some way to make ZC close when you exited the quest, they'd never see the main ZC interface.

#122 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:10 AM

Noel! The 1st quest approach sounds like a fantastic approach.

I think I'll create a zip and distribute my quest permanently in this fashion.

As for the ISO option, I don't know enough about iso to suggest that be a best option. But it would be convenient to run Zeldaclassic made my a quest designer to not only run their quest just by booting a cd, but load a save file created on to the pc every time the quest is loaded. Because the saved file gets saved on the pc, that one disc can be taken to any computer so that friends can say "here, try this game, just throw it in and play"

Also, If I wanted to, could I have a "only" ZC folder for this purposes? As in remove Zquest and the loader and all it's associated files that ain't needed to operate ZC?

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 04 June 2013 - 09:22 AM.

#123 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:24 AM

Sorry noel, your approach doesn't work. It just so happens that if you rename the zelda-w.exe it will no longer operate.

Update: Never mind, I was wrong, fixed it.

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 04 June 2013 - 10:55 AM.

#124 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

Does anyone know what programs in the Zeldaclassic 2.5 folder that are essential to run just the Zeldaclassic program? I am planning on making a folder in which Zquest and zlaunch is removed (oh, and that rom thing removed too).

#125 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:35 PM

I believe the ZC exe, 1st.qst, 2nd.qst, 3rd.qst, the .dat files, and alleg42.dll are the only things needed.

I'm also not sure if your plan of using 1st.qst will work.  I think they prevent that, but it's been a while since I've tried.

I do have a couple of alternatives that I'll explain later when I have more time.

#126 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:22 PM

I can play the quest by renaming it 1st.qst just fine.

I had not checked to see if I am able to save my file though because I haven't started playing long enough to test that.

#127 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:33 PM

Okay, these are the files that are now located in my custom made ZC folder in which I'll zip for my quest from now on, are there any that I can remove? Also, is there anything I may have deleted that I will need? There are some items in that list I have deleted, but it seems it may have returned after opening the Zeldaclassic program. 

1st.qst (my quest)
2nd.qst (copy of my quest)
3rd.qst (copy of my quest)
4th.qst (copy of my quest)
ag.cfg
alleg42.dll
allegro.log
fonts.dat
qst.dat
sfx.dat
SOW2 - Darkness Within.exe (The Zeldaclassic program)
zc.icn
zc.sav
zelda.dat
zquest.dat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users