#1 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

Not so much nowadays.

Link!

This is real.

Is there a way we can make ourselves more known? With the official release of ZC 2.5 we would assume our popularity would have grown. But it hasn't.

Staff Edit: Image was above the image size limits. Reduced to a link.

#2 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

That's really surprising. I was under the impression that ZC had gained a lot of popularity recently, especially with 2.5's release.

#3 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:02 PM

It's likely because it's getting overshadowed by other things, like RPG Maker VX Ace on Steam and other things like Spore or Unity. It isn't the only development tool out there you know. Not really surprised at all.

Edited by Koh, 25 February 2013 - 10:02 PM.

#4 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE(Koh @ Feb 25 2013, 10:02 PM) View Post
It's likely because it's getting overshadowed by other things, like RPG Maker VX Ace on Steam and other things like Spore or Unity. It isn't the only development tool out there you know. Not really surprised at all.

What I find surprising is how much its popularity has dropped. Even with other development tools, I wouldn't have expected popularity to have dropped so drastically since 2005.

#5 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:20 PM

Personally I don't think ZC's popularity has risen or dropped very much at all, people just already know where to go for ZC resources rather than needing to search for them.

#6 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:27 PM

QUOTE(Koh @ Feb 25 2013, 10:02 PM) View Post

Spore

Spore's a game making tool? I thought people only used that to make penis monsters... WthSmiley.gif

Edit: So on a more related note, this guy named Sean Klitzner who has a fairly large Youtube channel has recently picked up Zelda Classic which will no doubt pull in more interest. I leave it to you guys to decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing...

Edited by Moosh, 25 February 2013 - 11:32 PM.

#7 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

I honestly kind of like that ZC isn't wildly popular though. I think we've got a great, close community that's really respectful and helpful. The more people in a community, the more assholes you'll have to deal with.

..Also less competition is nice... icon_heh.gif

#8 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

I don't care if ZC is popular or not, I still think it's great compared to RPG Maker and Spore (apparently that's a game maker) and that's all that matters.

#9 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:16 AM

QUOTE(Theryan @ Feb 26 2013, 03:44 PM) View Post

I honestly kind of like that ZC isn't wildly popular though. I think we've got a great, close community that's really respectful and helpful. The more people in a community, the more assholes you'll have to deal with.
..Also less competition is nice... icon_heh.gif

Oh god. Look at Fur Affinity (forums, not the main site) for example. That board, mostly in the 'Den' forum, is full of elitist, sarcastic jerks who do very little but constantly spam (or '****post', as they call it) in topics they deem to be 'bad' or 'stale' regardless of any worthwhile conversation made by the people who actually put sufficient effort into posting beforehand, driving off all of these thoughtful members to other parts of the board or even into becoming one of these '****posters'.

The reason I like ZC so much is that Pure is such a tight-knit, friendly community where nearly every member strives to be friendly, show respect to, tact and help each other out, something that is very rare for an internet community (though this seems only really feasible with a small community). I don't really care wherever it is really popular or not, just as long as we have a friendly, respectful community.

Edit: One possible contributing factor to the statistics dropping is AGN's reputation of getting hacked and elitism running amok there in the past. If that's true, then we should begin gaining more popularity soon as AGN's old, negative reputation fades away.

Edited by Orin XD, 26 February 2013 - 07:24 AM.

#10 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:34 AM

QUOTE(Orin XD @ Feb 26 2013, 07:16 AM) View Post

Oh god. Look at Fur Affinity (forums, not the main site) for example. That board, mostly in the 'Den' forum, is full of elitist, sarcastic jerks who do very little but constantly spam (or '****post', as they call it) in topics they deem to be 'bad' or 'stale' regardless of any worthwhile conversation made by the people who actually put sufficient effort into posting beforehand, driving off all of these thoughtful members to other parts of the board or even into becoming one of these '****posters'.

Usually that only happens because a good chunk of the community (including most of the mods) dislikes the OP unless I'm mistaken. Either that or the moderators are asleep. I kinda wish PureZC had a system like that. From what I've seen in IRC it's evident that a decent chunk of the active community is dissatisfied with a small group of posters who technically aren't breaking any major rules with their posts. Take that Moosh fellow for example: Why can we not vote him off the island? There's certainly enough people out there who hate him.

Getting back on topic, what are the search trends for PureZC? Google Trends doesn't seem to be working for me. The decline in Zelda Classic searches probably has something to do with the loss of interest in AGN which is the top result when searching for Zelda Classic.

Edited by Moosh, 26 February 2013 - 07:40 AM.

#11 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

That's a good hunch Mooch, but way off, the decline in searches for "Zelda Classic" has nothing to do with AGN vs PureZC.

According to this image. PureZC searches are pretty insignificant.

Link

Now The Satellite has a very reasonable answer, people don't need to search for what they can already find. But that can't explain such a proven deep decline you see here.

Unfortunately, my theory goes down to Zelda's declining reputation.

For example: Here

Now that may be more alarming to you guys.

Than there's this

#12 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

Pretty much everything game related that's over a decade old is seeing some sort of declining interest. That's just how Google works. Just because people aren't Googling stuff doesn't mean it's dying. It just means people already know stuff and don't need to look it up.

#13 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

Lets see how Zelda compares to Call of Duty, but I guess we all assume that the population is biased against Nintendo, lets bring Mario into the mix.

"Legend of Zelda" vs. Mario vs. "Call of Duty"

Mario's popularity debunks all trolls against Call of Duty because Mario is Nintendo. Both these games are legitimately more popular than Zelda.

QUOTE(Moosh @ Feb 26 2013, 11:03 AM) View Post

Pretty much everything game related that's over a decade old is seeing some sort of declining interest. That's just how Google works. Just because people aren't Googling stuff doesn't mean it's dying. It just means people already know stuff and don't need to look it up.

Click the last link, Mario is on the rise. Unless there is some very popular Mario dude that's catching people's interest, we'll assume Mario's popularity in my previous post is about Mario games.

The world has a big population, there will always be people asking google about their new interests. But I guess there is some truth to your words. Even "video games" in its entirety is losing its trend.

But that boils down to my very point of view. Zelda is not gathering many new younger fans. I could almost conclude that Zelda's popularity in itself is biased to its cult of fans.

What I want to address is, Zeldaclassic can be more popular if it was addressed by what it actually is: The Ultimate Open World Game Maker. The name Zeldaclassic will eventually have to drop, or whatever, keep Zeldaclassic but make a new tool which uses the Zeldaclassic engine to appeal to fans of all video games genres.

Zeldaclassic can make survival horrors
Zeldaclassic can make run and gun
Zeldaclassic can make slash and dash
Zeldaclassic can make side scrollers

So why are we still trying to tell people we are just Zelda? When we are so much more!

#14 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

How popular is Zelda Classic? Popular enough for us. That is all that really matters. icon_smile.gif

#15 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

I actually agree with some of the OP's points. Not so much that it "matters" how popular we are, but rather that this game engine has grown to the point where it can make things much more deviated from traditional Zelda, and do games of multiple different genres. We ought to be emphasizing that more, IMO.

I'm even kinda keen on changing the name of "Zelda Classic" to something else when 3.0 rolls around years from now. It's not like any of us oldbies will know it as anything else, and we'll all still probably be making mostly Zelda games because we like Zelda games, but in addition to that it'll look more appealing to people who are "fans of retro games" but not necessarily "Zelda fans". icon_smile.gif And community diversity is always a welcome thing, right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users