ZC 2.5 RC 2.5 (Windows)

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#16 XMSB

XMSB

Furry Friends Furever

• Members

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:11 PM

I have looked all through the ag.cfg file, and I see no such option in there at all.

#17 Colossal

Colossal

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:47 PM

I've been getting crashes on exit as well, although it seems to happen only after I've fiddled with the color depth. If I leave it, the crashes don't happen, at least I haven't seen any yet.

In 32 bit color mode, I've noticed a bit of a performance drop (~2260 fps in 8 bit color to ~1800 fps). The menus are all blue and unreadable too. This happened when I tried to use 32 bit color in conjunction with big2:

http://dl.dropbox.co...epthAndBig2.png

EDIT:
QUOTE(Gleeok @ Dec 3 2011, 02:55 PM) View Post
I've also been playing through a little bit of some quests with this build (I admit I have not played ZC much in a long while) , and had a thought that perhaps the zconsole could be misused somehow? I assure you this hadn't crossed my mind when I put that feature in. It was wholly designed to make beta-testing, bug-finding, and script debugging much easier for quest makers and scripters as they were designing or testing them. If anyone has any concerns/comments/ideas about this then it's best not to wait until the final version is released. You can try it out by setting the option "debug_console = 1" in the config file.

Maybe a quest rule to disable console output? I like the idea of the console.

Edited by Colossal, 03 December 2011 - 08:55 PM.

#18 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:37 PM

It appears I was ninja'd about this as I was typing it up, but oh well. icon_blah.gif

Out of curiosity, I decided to try the new color modes in Windows 7. I was surprised to find out that with 32bit mode, Aero did not kick off... and ZC was actually running.

But I ran into some problems with this since I'm not sure if this was intended. For starters, the big and big2 arguments commonly used with 640x480 and 800x600 make ZC impossible to view. It is still running since I can hear the cursor select sound when pressing keys.

Note: I am using a custom Windows 7 theme (NOT Windowblinds... it's the native theming engine), but this is definitely Aero.

http://img205.images...6/zc640main.png (Save Select)
http://img214.images...75/zc640gui.png (Showing the Quit GUI Dialog)

When I ran ZC in 320x240, I had better results. There are still obvious problems, but I could actually play quests.

http://img233.images...1/zc320gui1.png (Quest Dialog)
http://img171.images...0/zc320gui2.png (Basic Menu)
http://img40.imagesh...9/zc320game.png (Playing First Quest)

If I run ZC in 24bit, 16bit, or 15bit mode, I get the same results even though Aero disables itself.

32bit mode has a lot of promise since it could be the end of having to disable Aero before running ZC. It would also be nice if a similar feature were available to ZQuest, assuming the issues with it can be fixed. icon_shrug.gif

#19 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:34 PM

@Nick: I'm sorry, I thought I mentioned that !8bit only works in the base resolution (with no sbig). I had thought I fixed the menus some time ago.. not sure what happened there.

Most of these new settings are still in the experimental phase so-to-speak, so right now I'm just gauging their usefulness and seeing how, if at all, viable the are at actually solving some of the problems people have been complaining about, since expanding on these would require some decent work.

...Also for laptop users that run ZQ: There is a -fps option also. -frameskip is still broken, however -fps (especially for ZQ large mode) works fine set to something like 24 or 30 for example where it can cut CPU down quite a bit and still fast enough to pick up all user input. The down side is that animations are slower by an amount of (normal rate * fps_cap / 60).

QUOTE(XMuppetSB @ Dec 3 2011, 03:11 PM) View Post

I have looked all through the ag.cfg file, and I see no such option in there at all.

Should be the third from the last line at the bottom.

QUOTE(Colossal @ Dec 3 2011, 05:47 PM) View Post

Maybe a quest rule to disable console output? I like the idea of the console.

Hmm.. Not a bad idea. Perhaps a more universal option like "protected", or "release version" checkbox next to the header and password entry.

#20 XMSB

XMSB

Furry Friends Furever

• Members

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE(Gleeok @ Dec 4 2011, 12:34 PM) View Post

Should be the third from the last line at the bottom.

Nope! Still doesn't ring a bell. icon_unsettled.gif Please tell me what you are talking about, as I double-checked and there is no 'debug_console' line in there at all.

Edited by XMuppetSB, 04 December 2011 - 01:40 PM.

#21 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:47 PM

..That's weird. As you can see it IS visible in the file that warrior_of_death posted here:

http://www.purezc.co...&...st&p=753985

#22 XMSB

XMSB

Furry Friends Furever

• Members

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:58 PM

Thanks a lot. Warrior of Death's version of ag.cfg has resolved my crash problems. Maybe we should include this in the next release candidate.

#23 Warrior_of_Death

Warrior_of_Death

Majora ban evasion

• Banned

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:59 PM

Delete your current ag file and ZC will create a new one with all the things once you restart the program.

#24 XMSB

XMSB

Furry Friends Furever

• Members

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:01 PM

Well, it turns out the crashes only happen in windowed mode, as I'm not getting these crashes in full screen mode. Has anybody else tried running ZC in windowed mode?

Edited by XMuppetSB, 04 December 2011 - 02:13 PM.

#25 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:28 AM

QUOTE(XMuppetSB @ Dec 4 2011, 02:01 PM) View Post

Well, it turns out the crashes only happen in windowed mode, as I'm not getting these crashes in full screen mode. Has anybody else tried running ZC in windowed mode?

Heck, I've had issues with ZC crashing in windowed mode since version 2.10. Well, actually that was double-sized windowed mode; it doesn't crash as much in regular-sized windowed mode, but it's so much smaller. Full-screen does seem to be immune to these crashes, from what I've seen.

By the way, why hasn't this thread been pinned yet? I had no idea this version was out until I saw a thread asking what to do to update their quest file to the new version.

#26 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:24 AM

Oh, theres a new version! Should I update to it or not, because of the bugs that are mentioned here?

#27 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:55 AM

There is a glitch where if you jump with the Roc's Feather in an overhead area, and you warp to a sideview area, you get stuck three tiles above ground from where you entered. This could break a game.

#28 tox_von

tox_von

Zelda Addict

• Members

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:39 PM

int ContinueScreen
* The map screen where Link will be respawned after dying and continuing.

I found this looking though the files if this was set to 1 would this fix the continue bug how it makes you continue in the wrong places.

#29 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE(tox_von @ Dec 20 2011, 06:39 PM) View Post
I found this looking though the files if this was set to 1 would this fix the continue bug how it makes you continue in the wrong places.

*facepalm*

Game->ContinueScreen is the number of the screen used when you choose "Continue" from the Save/Quit dialog or resume playing an existing save file. Setting this to 1 would mean that you would be setting the screen you continue on to screen 1.

Notice how this value is documented as int. That means it is an integer. A whole number. This is not a Boolean, or bool. That means it isn't just ON or OFF, so it isn't a magic flag that fixes continue bugs if you set it to 1.

Common continue bugs are caused by side warps setting unwanted continue points. This behavior started happening after ZC 1.92 beta build 184 (hence why some older quests have continue bugs in newer versions). In ZC 2.10 and above, there is a quest rule to stop this behavior.

If you are still having problems after setting that quest rule, then it isn't ZC's fault.

#30 tox_von

tox_von

Zelda Addict

• Members

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:21 PM

When the continue bug happens when you start your game a counter is set to put you to where you are. At the end of the start sequence if another counter is set to make the continue screen the first then this will be a patch job way to fix this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users