Photo

Zelda Modern

• Please log in to reply
411 replies to this topic

#31 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 10 June 2010 - 04:33 AM

QUOTE(Beefster @ Jun 3 2010, 06:55 PM) View Post

Zelda Classic is a great program. But it has its quirks and redneck fixes for everything. Multiple rewrites have been suggested, but I think we need to go in a SLIGHTLY different direction if we DO rewrite.

Scripting needs to be in from the beginning. I want to abstract away from hard-coding everything, opening room for more complex bugs and messy coding that hasn't been touched since Phantom Menace managed ZC. In addition, it would be extremely helpful to pull away from the legacy ZASM and ZScript using Python.
The only things that should be hard coded are cameras, collision and the scripting interfaces. Enemy AI, items, combo types, etc.. should all be driven by scripts for increased modularity and simpler engine upkeep. (most things will be pre-scripted so it will still be completely possible to make a game without scripting yourself)
This would also nearly eliminate the need for quest rules and screen data.

Drop Allegro in favor of SDL. This will increase portability and expand it to, say, the Wii.
Use wx for a GUI. That way you get a NATIVE interface.
Support full 32 bit color. (You'll still be able to use palette graphics if you want them.)

Simplify the interfaces that n00bs usually ask about. Simplify shops. Make messages easier to use. Make it completely obvious how to do everything. (But don't bring in the ribbon, or I will kill somebody. I hate that thing.)

Remove the arbitrary limits. Why only 32 ffcs? Use dynamic allocation, people!
What's 1 byte compared to 100 megs? Almost nothing. Bring internal values up to 4 byte sizes.
Extend access of global game variables and all counters to the subscreen.
The limits ZC has are just ridiculous. Game engines should be limited to your CPU and imagination.

No doubt, finishing ZC 2.50 is a higher priority. When that's done, start on a quality rewrite. I'm entirely willing to help in every way I can with this rewrite.

Sounds like a cross between a 2D game-maker engine and Zelda Classic. To be honest here we might as well drop the "Zelda" from "Maker" and make something that can remake Mega Man or say a Wizardry game just as easily as LOZ1-3 and get rid of any illegal copyright problems (which would be annoying).

SDL is good but it has some annoying limitations and bugs on Windows. This is no big deal since the amount of SDL specific code required is tiny at best; unless you were thinking of using other features of SDL which in that case I would recommend instead going with OpenGL for rendering, you mentioned CPU so cross platform Hardware accelerated graphics are a no brainer, and Fmod or Bass for sound which are the best sound libs I've come across so far and you would be hard pressed to find anything with with more functionality than fmod_ex.

I've never used Python ..it always looked confusing to me... perhaps it's the syntax? How easy would it be for noobs to pick Python? Also what about Lua? -Iv'e never used that before either but from what I understand Lua is much faster and smaller than Python or Ruby, which might make it easier to learn. I don't know; if you asked me to design the simplest scripting language I could think of it would probably look like this:
CODE

class octorock {

int HP;
  Vec2 pos;
  float something;

void on_create()
  {
    HP = 4;
    // gets called when object is instantiated
  }

void on_destroy()
  {
    // gets called when object is destroyed
  }

void run()
  {
    // gets called every frame
  }

}

Yeah, allegro is dated and weak nowadays, and allegro GUI sucks. The hardest part would be finding capable people willing to put in blood, tears, and sweat to get a project like that started. Right now zc has only a handful of part-time people working on trying to get all the bugs fixed and 2.5 done and it's not the easiest of tasks. To get a completely new "modern" game maker we're going to need something a little extra in terms of raw hours of dedication. ..Or, if you live in your parents basement and are willing to spend 6 hours a day on it that would help too. icon_razz.gif

#32 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 10 June 2010 - 04:51 AM

Well why don't we compile a list now of people that will sign on for this project? There's no reason this couldn't work like how making a collaborations quest works. The list doesn't have to be all coders as well. There can be developers from a visual design standpoint, for the GUI, logos, icons, etc. I also believe that a team could be assembled to deal with a new home for the development team, incorporating downloads and bug reporting, which could possibly be hosted at Shardstorm. A list of at least 15 to 20 people could be made that enveloped these different types of developers.

#33 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:19 AM

What would be so great about a Zelda re-write?... maybe a few things would be improved, but man, the program is already hella impressive even if convoluted at times.

I'm not going to argue the pros and cons of it, I'm sure it's a great idea, but all in all, it seems to me like the program works just fine right now, (as in, if you want to make a quest, you can!). I don't think making a whole new program will make Zc quests take less time nor effort to make icon_razz.gif.

As far as increasing traffic goes too, I think a big impressive quest would do the program more good than a new version... I mean if you look in the database after ten years there really are only like, ten games worth playing in there that show any signs of uniqueness or quality beyond a low effort generic Zelda game

#34 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:20 AM

In response to Gleeok, a symbolic-expression system may be less flexible but would be able to accomodate for even the non-programmers.

Like so:

CODE
when "block-pushed" "block1" {
    "combo-change" 293 294;
}

Essentially, combo #293 would be that of a closed door, and #294 would be that of an opened door--and like magic, we have recreated the most basic puzzle in Zelda history.

Symbolic-expressions could be done entirely with an editor that isn't a text editor (i.e. it wouldn't be a script anymore).

This could present some extreme flexibility.

Edited by TMS, 10 June 2010 - 09:21 AM.

#35 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE(Gleeok @ Jun 10 2010, 05:33 AM) View Post
I've never used Python ..it always looked confusing to me... perhaps it's the syntax? How easy would it be for noobs to pick Python?

Supposedly, it's one of the easiest languages to learn. I don't know it, either, though. icon_razz.gif

QUOTE(Lemon @ Jun 10 2010, 07:19 AM) View Post

What would be so great about a Zelda re-write?... maybe a few things would be improved, but man, the program is already hella impressive even if convoluted at times.

More features and fewer bugs. As it is, there's no separation of concerns at all, which means changing anything requires updates to several different areas of code, most of them already almost incomprehensible. Honestly, at this point, a complete rewrite would probably be easier than making another new version from the current codebase.

#36 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:09 AM

Python is known to be good for beginning programmers, but it uses whitespace rather than brackets to denote code blocks--which kind of forces "good code form" upon the developer.

#37 Cameron

Cameron

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:05 PM

Python is actually really easy. I learned many impotant basic coding things from it. I tried looking at C++ before and after Python. The difference was incredible. Still just starting out, but it makes so much more sense.

#38 Lemmy Koopa

Lemmy Koopa

We are the champions

• Members

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:59 PM

If they're going to completely change Zelda Classic, it's going to lose it's meaning and it will be completely different to me, so I don't like that at all, really.

#39 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:14 PM

That's the thing, some people are saying that in the next version, with a possible re-write, that everything will should be based upon scripting. I don't think that that is the way to go. A new ZC should stil be based around the original idea, which was to be able to clone a Zelda video game without the need to be able to script. If some people are pushing for scripting to become an integral part of the program so that other types of games can be made, then I think that should be branched off into a different program.

#40 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:27 PM

Building around a scripting engine from the start is the easiest way to integrate components together rather than hack stuff in later *cough* =P. Additionally what's the difference between all the items and enemies from Zelda ALTTP in script form as opposed being hard-coded? Bugfixes, development time, and modularity, not to mention extra work on other components such as GUIs and so forth. -If you complain about limitations then you cannot argue this point at all. To be cliche: "You can't have your cake and eat it too".

#41 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:56 PM

I agree about it being built around the scripting engine, as it would pose fewer problems and bugs. And if you where to make it modular in the form of script packages, I would just suggest make it accessible so that no body has to learn even a line of script for it to work, in the same vain as ZC now. Scripting can be a part of the engine for sure, just don't loose track of the main aim which should be to make a program any person can pick up and use without needing to learn scripting.

#42 lucas92

lucas92

Defender

• Members

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:56 PM

Meh, all this sounds like we're going to make a clone of Open Zelda...

#43 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:02 AM

How many times to I have to say this, people!?!

It will be completely possible to make a fully functional quest without EVER having to write a line of code or even touch the script editor. Heck, you don't even need to import any scripts.

This is a middleground plan. Open Zelda is just too complicated. ZC has too much reliance on hard-coding, a poor codebase, (that two devs have openly admitted to being a mess) and expectations far higher than are cleanly possible. This plan takes all the ease of use and ability to not need to code from ZC and meshes it with the gameplay potential of Open Zelda. And top it all off with a simpler programming language, Python.
The focus will remain on making Zelda games, but Peteo and many others have proven that it isn't ALL you can make with a Zelda engine.

Yes, the goal is different, and I totally understand the resistance to change. We fear what we don't know, right?

Edited by Beefster, 11 June 2010 - 12:13 AM.

#44 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:29 AM

Hey, you mean you don't want the re-write to be QBert classic? What's the big idea? pkmnfrk and I have been planning that for a lunar epoch. icon_razz.gif

#45 Koopa

Koopa

The child behind the turtle

• Members

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:20 AM

The only limitation we still have is we'll need about 10 developers who are each willing to give up half a year of their life and write this new unlimited ZC. We could also do it with fewer developers if we have more time, like 10 years - and if we allow the developers to do work, college or something like that alongside developing, it'll take longer anyway.

Just in case any one hasn't noticed: [/sarcasm]

Now, in all seriousness.

Before the 2.5 betas, we had something extremely limited as to features but it worked, it was stable and people made great quests with it. 2.5 has scripting, many more features and has been under development for many years and it's anyone's guess when it'll be ready.

That's my first answer to why ZC is so limited. The second is, ZC 1.0 was made for and on a DOS machine (that's 640KB RAM, for those who remember) and 256 colours was the most you'd get out of that anyway. I fully agree that the next ZC will have to support the kind of colour depth we are used to today (though by the same logic, it should support 3D graphics really) but ZC was quite up to standard when it was new.

For the hardcore Nintendo fans: How much RAM did a NES have? How many colours on screen at any one time? And yet Nintendo made LoZ for that and people thought it great. ZC started out as a LoZ clone with editor, and it was good at it.

Beefster, in all honesty - I don't mean to be rude to you, but I think you don't understand what an effort it would be to make a ZC the way you describe. If it were that easy, DD would have made it by now, he's not stupid. You're welcome to give it a try yourself of course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users