Zelda Modern

• Please log in to reply
411 replies to this topic

#16 Lemmy Koopa

Lemmy Koopa

We are the champions

• Members

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:38 PM

Well that's because Game Maker uses full color and now supports alpha images.

#17 Plissken

Plissken

What's with these homies dissing our girls?

• Members

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:54 PM

And why shouldn't ZC also use full color?

#18 Guest_JohnStacy (Guest)

Guest_JohnStacy (Guest)
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:11 PM

I got turned off gamemaker because I couldn't script. That kind of ruined it for me. I used to love working in ZC, because I didn't have to script at all. I just could click and go. Anyways.

This post is super long. So I put it in a spoiler tag for convenience.

Spoiler

So, I have an idea.
Once 2.5 is finished, it could possibly branch into 2 branches. One stays on Allegro and goes along the path of a simple game engine a lot of people like that doesn't rely on scripting. This one will be Zelda Classic.
The other branch will change to SDL and become very script heavy and use the suggestions of the gentleman who started the topic. This one will be Zelda Modern.

Thoughts?

#19 Lemmy Koopa

Lemmy Koopa

We are the champions

• Members

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:49 PM

I use Game Maker a lot, but I still think ZC is the best for making Zelda games.

Moving to true color would be beneficial, but probably would require rewriting everything that deals with the graphics.

One thing that's good about having palettes though is that you can change colors without wasting space by copying images and recoloring them just to make them a different color.

#20 Plissken

Plissken

• Members

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE(Hot Water Music man @ Jun 8 2010, 04:49 PM) View Post

Moving to true color would be beneficial, but probably would require rewriting everything that deals with the graphics.

Well...it is a rewrite we're talking about here. icon_razz.gif

#21 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:08 PM

@JohnStacy: Like I said before, EVERYTHING necessary to make a Zelda clone will be pre-scripted. The point of pulling away from hard coding is to make the engine more modular for power users, like myself, while still making it usable by ordinary users. Support for ZASM would be maintained, and a ZScript compiler will be available. Python is merely an option.

Think RPG Maker XP. That's how ZM should function.
On that note, a snippet-based event scripting system would be very nice-- Something easy for newbies to handle- shown in plain English, but actually stored in #comment delimited Python or something similar.

And yes, ZM would undoubtedly be a fork of ZC with a focus on a clean codebase and modularity. Cross-compatibility with ZC is not a priority, but may be implemented later.

The quest file format will probably shift away from pure binary into something more like a .zip archive or a compressed .iso.

#22 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:38 PM

I would *love* to see ZC made open source and given a proper version control system.

I know the devs are highly against that, but remember that having a proper version control system means that you could have people introduce all kinds of features without f***ing the official builds (non-devs can see the source code, devs can both read and write to the source code repository).

In addition to that, people could check out the source code, make their own builds (share the source code which can be merged into the official source by an official developer--one who has read AND write access to the code repository).

Merging code isn't that hard, either... good version control software can do that entirely for you by looking at the differences between the new build and the old build and literally merging the code changes between the two (seamlessly).

If it were open source, we'd have a lot less problems to worry about.

Edited by TMS, 08 June 2010 - 10:38 PM.

#23 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:53 PM

QUOTE(TMS @ Jun 8 2010, 10:38 PM) View Post

I would *love* to see ZC made open source and given a proper version control system.

I know the devs are highly against that, but remember that having a proper version control system means that you could have people introduce all kinds of features without f***ing the official builds (non-devs can see the source code, devs can both read and write to the source code repository).

From what I understand most of the devs agree that it should be open source; BUT the creator Phantom Menace wished that it remained closed, and they want to respect his wishes.

#24 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:06 PM

If they are not going to make it Open Source, then they can at least search programmers that know a lot more in C++ to advance this program. I've seriously developed a love hate relationship with ZC because of the limitations.

#25 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE(Lemon @ Jun 8 2010, 11:53 PM) View Post

From what I understand most of the devs agree that it should be open source; BUT the creator Phantom Menace wished that it remained closed, and they want to respect his wishes.

That being said, if and when the dropping of Allegro occurs, it would probably be better off to start off an open source repository then--because it's no longer a derivative of Phantom Menace's work--it's a completely new codebase.

#26 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:22 AM

Phantom Menace originally wished to keep it closed source because of the password protect system. To be honest, with a re-write, I would think that the password system will be dropped in favour of a better system. And I question why if a re-write did occur why we couldn't make it an open source project. Why should we keep it closed source? Because of what the original developer said 10 years ago? Zelda Classic has changed and developed in that 10 years; expectations have changed. If the developer's really did want to respect Phantom Menace's wishes, then surely one of them (I'm placing bets on Dark Nation) knows how to contact him to ask for permission for it to become open source.

And if that happens and Phantom Menace says no, it's staying closed source, then I don't see why this so very talked about 3.0 can't happen as the first version another project that takes inspiration from Zelda Classic but incorporates these features we all talk about having. A new program, new vision, a new name, built from the ground up.

#27 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:25 AM

I don't know all that much about the details of Zelda Classic's relationship with Armageddon Games, but if ZC was to be open sourced, it might have to end up on a different label (which would probably be a good thing, whether necessary or not). I guess that depends on the attitude of War Lord, owner and webmaster of Armageddon Games. Considering the state of their forums, I don't have much confidence in him. He doesn't appear to be around much anymore. Unfortunately, I don't know much about that sort of stuff, let alone owning a gaming company, even in its smallest of proportions. Yeah, open sourcing it would probably mean severing an old partnership that no longer seems to be a healthy one and going with a new one, for development beyond 2.5. But if that is a decision only dictated between Phantom Menace and War Lord, that could prove to make things even more complex.

#28 Cameron

Cameron

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE(Beefster @ Jun 8 2010, 07:08 PM) View Post

@JohnStacy: Like I said before, EVERYTHING necessary to make a Zelda clone will be pre-scripted. The point of pulling away from hard coding is to make the engine more modular for power users, like myself, while still making it usable by ordinary users. Support for ZASM would be maintained, and a ZScript compiler will be available. Python is merely an option.

Think RPG Maker XP. That's how ZM should function.
On that note, a snippet-based event scripting system would be very nice-- Something easy for newbies to handle- shown in plain English, but actually stored in #comment delimited Python or something similar.

And yes, ZM would undoubtedly be a fork of ZC with a focus on a clean codebase and modularity. Cross-compatibility with ZC is not a priority, but may be implemented later.

The quest file format will probably shift away from pure binary into something more like a .zip archive or a compressed .iso.

Then do it. This seems like a pretty good idea. And with that many changes you would have to start all over again. There would be not much use from the old source code. If you want to see someething like this then you have to do it. I don't think the devs are just going to abandon ZC and start on ZM.

You want ZM? You have to start it yourself. Talking about it isn't going to do anything.

#29 Plissken

Plissken

• Members

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:48 PM

Uh...you realize ALL the devs are talking a rewrite after ZC 2.5 is released right? Beefster is simply putting forth very valid and helpful suggestions.

#30 Cameron

Cameron

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:49 PM

Well if that ever happens we should probably call it something different instead of Zelda Classic 3.0 (or whatever version it would be). It would definately be a lot different than the ZC we know now. Plus, then it could be open source because it would *technically* be a different program.

Sorry if I sounded a little harsh earlier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users