Two Week Contest!

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#16 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:07 PM

I'll do it. I've got a couple of ideas running through my head right now. This should be fun.

#17 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:57 AM

Woo, it began, so exiteted! *ahem*
Well, this is really fun. Thanks for hosting Blaman icon_smile.gif

#18 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:25 AM

Well, I can't wait to start. I actually have a solid idea, too. I expect it won't be too difficult to work with.

#19 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:05 AM

QUOTE(Sheik @ Jan 31 2010, 09:57 PM) View Post

Woo, it began, so exiteted! *ahem*

Wait, I thought it doesn't start until tomorrow.

Anyways, I've already got most of it planned out now. I'd like to use DoR, but that takes to long, so I'm just using the original Pure. It still looks pretty good, and I can make screens very quickly with it.

#20 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:55 AM

Wait, I thought it doesn't start until tomorrow.
Heh, true, I only read start date and irgnored the date for some reason o.o... Well, I wasn't able to do more than ripping graphics anyways since my sister moved out today and I was bound to help =P

#21 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:35 PM

Okay, fair enough.

Blaman, the last two week contest was hosted in TS and Plissken's QPF. Are you going to host it in yours too, or will you just keep it here?

#22 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:40 PM

If I wasn't at uni and I had a bit more spare time I'd love to try and defend my title. Looks like I'll have to give it a miss this time though, good luck to everyone involved!

#23 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:48 AM

EoA is now a collarboration game by Sheik and Joe123. Please add to the entrants list that information.

#24 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:12 AM

QUOTE(Sheik @ Feb 1 2010, 09:48 PM) View Post

EoA is now a collarboration game by Sheik and Joe123. Please add to the entrants list that information.

Well, there goes my chance of winning. I'll still participate, of course, but I have little doubt that you two will win.

Yikes, I forgot what the pressure for these timed contests is like. I have to work so carefully to make sure I finish the game. Intro, cutscenes, custom bosses, etc., pretty much anything that's not absolutely necessary, all have to come last. If I don't have the right tiles, I don't have time to make new ones; I just have to make do. Everything's different with a time limit.

#25 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:22 AM

Well, there goes my chance of winning. I'll still participate, of course, but I have little doubt that you two will win.
I wouldn't say this, EoA will be so... strange... in a way, that people might end up not liking it. It's surrealistic to an extent that makes you wonder what's happening with you. At least partly.

Yikes, I forgot what the pressure for these timed contests is like. I have to work so carefully to make sure I finish the game. Intro, cutscenes, custom bosses, etc., pretty much anything that's not absolutely necessary, all have to come last. If I don't have the right tiles, I don't have time to make new ones; I just have to make do. Everything's different with a time limit.
Make sure to take the time to polish the quest out, sometimes it's better to narrow things down a bit and make things you already have working smoothly, rather than adding and adding things halfassed.

#26 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:38 AM

I'm only going to do like a post-editing type thing; Sheik's doing all of the mapping and I'm just going to tidy up a bit and add a few things like cutscenes, nothing major.

#27 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:40 AM

I don't think I need to tell anybody, but the contest has begun!! I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone makes. :3

QUOTE(Sheik @ Feb 2 2010, 12:48 AM) View Post

Alright, I'll do that in a second. icon_smile.gif

QUOTE(Russ @ Feb 1 2010, 01:35 PM) View Post

Blaman, the last two week contest was hosted in TS and Plissken's QPF. Are you going to host it in yours too, or will you just keep it here?

This was to serve more as a sing-up thread, so I wanted it to be a little more seen. But once the voting and all that starts, I'll be putting it in the QPF. icon_smile.gif

#28 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:51 AM

How's everybody doing? I got 1/3 of the overworld done today. 18 screens total, all done after school and after homework. I had no idea I could work this quickly. Of course, they're not as high quality as I would like, but they work.

#29 Daemon

Daemon

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:39 AM

You don't suppose you could have a late entrant do you? I'd be willing to participate with no extra day to work on it, leaving me at a slight disadvantage... Although it's cool if I can't.

If I can, in fact, enter a little late. I have a question about the minimum overworld... If it were say... A side scroller, could you have a minimum overworld of 1x16? Or would it still need to follow the rules of 4x4?

#30 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 February 2010 - 05:34 AM

QUOTE(Russ @ Feb 3 2010, 07:51 AM) View Post

How's everybody doing? I got 1/3 of the overworld done today. 18 screens total, all done after school and after homework. I had no idea I could work this quickly. Of course, they're not as high quality as I would like, but they work.

The overworld is coming along well. I will start on the interiors today when I'm home. I might redo the woods from scratch though, seeing how I don't quite like it as it is and I only started 4 screens of it.

QUOTE(Daemon @ Feb 3 2010, 08:39 AM) View Post

You don't suppose you could have a late entrant do you? I'd be willing to participate with no extra day to work on it, leaving me at a slight disadvantage... Although it's cool if I can't.

If I can, in fact, enter a little late. I have a question about the minimum overworld... If it were say... A side scroller, could you have a minimum overworld of 1x16? Or would it still need to follow the rules of 4x4?

The rule was 8x8 and was changed to 8x16 later I believe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users