• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 20 October 2018 - 10:14 PM

What is it?

This set takes classic's rather limited design possibilities and moderately expands them.

Step 1 was creating combos for most of the unused tiles scattered around default classic's tile pages. Step 2 was tweaking existing resources and adding further variations of them, whether graphically or functionally. Step 3 was farming new resources from PZC's loose tiles and tileset database collections. Step 4 was me still not being satisfied with the possibilities and designing a bunch of my own tiles to compensate.

Do note that the farming process involved more than merely dumping every 3-colored tile from the database into the set. There's some level of quality control, and a priority focus on resources that, in my opinion, fit the classic style.

Wasn't this called "absurdly expanded" last year?

Yes, and that's still happening. However, due to my Z3 Module contributions taking far longer than anticipated, and with ZC 2.55 still lingering in alpha phase, I'm releasing a downsized version of the set for ZC 2.53. The most significant cut was the 2nd-tier-down dungeon material, but trimming was done in every area. The moderately expanded set now fits comfortably within 2.53's limits, whereas the absurdly expanded set will take advantage of 2.55's extended resource counts, most notably combo aliases and tile pages.

Is it available?

Download v1.0 RC1 here.

Sample screens on Map03. To see dungeon template screens on Map02, press 1-9. (I'm dumb.)

What exactly is in it?

Despite being a reduced set, there's still plenty of new and revised content.

· Overworld expansion includes more mountain and cave variations, smoothly-contoured cuttable grass and ground detail, ladder assortments, extra large objects, new objects like fountains/bones/signs/docks/piers, additional tree/cactus/dungeon-entrance variations, snow-covered scenery, flowers, statues, and weather effects. Water variations have also been expanded, objects like lily pads/flowers/logs/stalks can be placed on them, and obviously no liquids collection is complete without lava and ice. There are also functional objects which have options for push, damage, pound, hookshot, block, walkability, and so on. Lastly, nearly every object comes in layerable format.
overworld sample screens meant to show options rather than look good
· Dungeon expansion built upon Lightwulf's diagonal and first-tier-down dungeon tiles, growing to include ladders, centered and off-centered doors, lock block variations of doors (with shutter copycats for each), re-perspective'd frames for the sides of rooms, alternate passageways and overheads, more stair options, door-stairs, and bombable wall options with hints.

Note: due to unanticipated excess of tiles required to line up bricks, all dungeon wall segments have been split into "basic" and "expanded" sections. Basic should cover most fundamental designs, while expanded will cover nearly every awkward shape imaginable.
dungeon sample screens that show options and occasionally look good
· Floors now have on/off warp tiles, more conveyors, and additional options for object-switches, step-switches, spikes, statues, lock blocks, and treasure chests. Cycling floors have been expanded to 16 levels of falling and spinning tiles rather than 8, and now include alternating raised/lowered blocks, alternating magic-mirror angles, spike waves of up to 4 different speeds, and number overlays so that you can create a temporary overhead layer to keep track of all these same-looking tiles. Other things include 16 push-block choices for block puzzles (with multi-directional options using both inherent and on-screen flags), 3 sizes of triforce flats for small tiles or large entries, 3 pit varieties in fall-warp/no-walk/walkable options, barriers in 8-pixel and 16-pixel widths, the latter of which include standard, lock block, boss lock variety and copycats of each, and a nature segment adapting certain overworld combos for indoor use. And as with the overworld, anything that can come in layerable format, does.
dungeon floor options with no sample screen context
· Automated modes like Relational and Dungeon Carving have their own dedicated sections that include everything from mountains to water to pits to barriers and beyond.These appear at the end of the standard combo list rather than scattered throughout, and form the first of four "addendum" sections.
relational drawing samples and dungeon carving setups
· Activatable objects form the second "addendum" section. They include Lockblock door-stair variations for all 4 warp options, and copycat walls and floors for 6 different activation options. The walls are set to trigger ladder building, and the floors can trigger shooting statues, raising spikes, raising/lowering blocks, warp gates, and conveyors. The 6 activation options are Step->Next, Lockblock (Normal), Lockblock (Boss), Treasure Chest (Normal), Treasure Chest (Locked), and Treasure Chest (Boss Locked). Combine with screen state carryovers for large-scale changes.
activatable dungeon floors, segment 1 of 6
· Archives form the third "addendum" section. I have no intention of expanding or supporting Outlands dungeons or default classic's cobbled-together sideview hackjob, but for anybody who likes them, they remain available. The Zelda 1 dungeon archive has the lower level walls marked "No Flying Enemies," a setting which was removed from the new primary combos to allow for flying enemy mobility in 1st-tier-up constructs.

· Zelda II graphical support forms the final "addendum." All areas and palettes from Z2 are represented in a collection at the end of the combo list.
zelda II sample screens
Have fun getting sideview to play well though.

The Alias Factor:

Here we have the core component of this set.

For those unaware, aliases are collections of combos which form a larger structure. They allow each combo to be placed simultaneously, in the correct position, and on the correct layer. They're the ZC equivalent of what would be called "prefabs" in modern game editing. Just go to alias mode, select the structure you want, click where on the screen you want it, and there's your multi-combo structure.

To that extent, I've assembled an incredibly large collection of aliases so that people can build large pieces of architecture with a single click. This makes complex structures accessible for intermediate users, and quick for advanced users.

My goal of the set, particularly when it comes to dungeon design, is to move people away from building screens combo-by-combo, and push them toward placing multiple large structures, only using the combo list for fine-tuning and floor designs.

Here are some of the many objects and structures you can place with a single click:
overworld objects
dungeon straight walls
dungeon doors
dungeon diagonal wall segments
dungeon full diagonal wall corners

Other notes and comparisons:

· Dungeon wall arrangement makes sense. The default classic setup is on the left. My new one is on the right.
before and after
· Tweaking existing resources. What I meant when I said that.
before and after
· Further variations of existing resources. What I meant when I said that.
before and after
· Solid blacks are solid. Many default tiles were imported with no regard to which blacks were solid and which were transparent. I've sorted that. Enjoy your layering.
before and after
· Dungeon cellar ceilings are solid. Now you can't warp to inaccessible or non-existent screens by walking across the top of item cellars or passageways.
before and after
· Reperspective'd side doors. People keep hurting my eyes by placing center doors at sides of rooms. These should help.
just do it
· Heart and Magic Meters have 1/8 accuracy and no numbers. They also have gray placeholders to show max container count.
die numbers

Leftovers:

This file was built from an old quest. I've reverted most of my changes, but there's still a few lingering leftovers I haven't trashed yet, so don't mind any misplaced custom data entries, they'll (mostly) be gone soon.

The set is fairly close to the best I can get it on my own. Unless people have further comments or suggestions, this is likely what will be officially released. As the expo run its course, I'll address any feedback, then post the final revisions to the database once it ends.

Edited by Lüt, 28 October 2018 - 02:32 PM.

• Anthus, Migokalle, Shane and 6 others like this

#2 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 29 October 2018 - 01:23 PM

You might actually have sold me on Classic. Somehow.

I'll give it a try sometime. It looks relatively modular too which is a big plus in my book.

#3 venrob

venrob

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 29 October 2018 - 02:25 PM

That is actually amazing.

#4 klop422

klop422

Evil Crazy Mastermind

• Members

Posted 29 October 2018 - 02:40 PM

Finally looked through the entire post. Looks really good. I'll likely start using this, though I've already started on my next quest with the much lesser default version of Classic.

Only ones I don't like are the perspectived dungeon doors, but I don't personally have an issue with the centred doors myself, so that's not really an issue for me (maybe for you, though :P).

#5 Eddy

Eddy

"The Hylian Champion"

• Database Staff

Posted 31 October 2018 - 08:58 AM

I've probably said it before, but I deeply appreciate all the time you've taken to create such a massive expansion like this, this is truly amazing. I can see this being so very useful for anyone working with classic, and I will definitely be playing around with this when the complete version is done.

• venrob likes this

#6 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 25 November 2018 - 10:47 AM

You might actually have sold me on Classic. Somehow.

This is the magic I work.

I'll give it a try sometime. It looks relatively modular too which is a big plus in my book.

Thanks, should be.

tbh you can actually come up with some rather unorthodox structuring using layerable components with FFCs and walkability blocks.

But even with standard layering, the amount of structural and CSet mix-n-match possibilities can keep things pretty fresh. Helps that Z1's distinct colors make level and sprite CSet swapping relatively seamless.

That is actually amazing.

You're amazing  :love:

Finally looked through the entire post. Looks really good. I'll likely start using this, though I've already started on my next quest with the much lesser default version of Classic.

Thanks, it probably shouldn't prove too hard to port if you really needed to.

Might just be an issue of aligning the combos between sets for a map export/import. I could look into it once it's final if you want.

Only ones I don't like are the perspectived dungeon doors, but I don't personally have an issue with the centred doors myself, so that's not really an issue for me (maybe for you, though :P).

It's an issue for anybody that has a functional perspective processing center in their brain that can be damaged by faulty input. This is Hyrule, not R'lyeh :evil: 
BREAK YOUR BRAIN

I've probably said it before, but I deeply appreciate all the time you've taken to create such a massive expansion like this, this is truly amazing. I can see this being so very useful for anyone working with classic, and I will definitely be playing around with this when the complete version is done.

Your appreciation is appreciated :awesome:

Hopefully it's got enough variety to serve you for a few quests.

Anyway, sorry for the delayed response. Script pack took 2 weeks instead of 2 days to sort and finalize, and I've done a fair bit more work on RC2, so hopefully that can be up later this week.

Speaking of which! Preview of new feature:

True-color shadow transparency!

We all know ZC transparency is garbage by default, yet it can be manipulated to some degree of accuracy. That degree depends on how many blank color swatches you have in your main palettes, level palettes, and sprite palettes. In theory, ZC processes transparency by calculating the true-color combination of the original color and the overlaid color, then rendering the closest available color in the 8-bit palette, meaning that if you manually feed it the correct colors, it should render transparency accurately. Unfortunately, ZC's initial calculations aren't always very precise, and it generates some incredibly off color choices when processing similar and low-contrast colors. Fortunately, that's not a problem with classic's distinct and high-contrast colors, and because no palette uses more than half its available swatches, every single color can be manually accounted for.

Below are in-game shots of 6 different screens. The first column shows the screen with no transparency, the second column adds transparency overlays but uses the default classic palettes, and the third column uses my new expanded palettes for those same overlays:
In-game transparency comparisons
Some changes are blatant, others are subtle, but take a minute to note the full differences.

I suppose at this point it would be a waste to not support atmospheric torch lighting in dungeons, so if anybody knows any good torch and pulsing-shadow-circle tiles, let me know so I can include them in RC2.

(And if you're wondering how the enemies are the same in every screen, they're FFCs using those sprites. Live enemies render just as well.)
  • Shane, Eddy, Sheik and 1 other like this

#7 ZoriaRPG

ZoriaRPG

The Timelord

• ZC Developers

Posted 27 November 2018 - 09:41 AM

This is the magic I work.
Thanks, should be.

tbh you can actually come up with some rather unorthodox structuring using layerable components with FFCs and walkability blocks.

But even with standard layering, the amount of structural and CSet mix-n-match possibilities can keep things pretty fresh. Helps that Z1's distinct colors make level and sprite CSet swapping relatively seamless.
You're amazing  :love:
Thanks, it probably shouldn't prove too hard to port if you really needed to.

Might just be an issue of aligning the combos between sets for a map export/import. I could look into it once it's final if you want.
It's an issue for anybody that has a functional perspective processing center in their brain that can be damaged by faulty input. This is Hyrule, not R'lyeh :evil: 

BREAK YOUR BRAIN

Your appreciation is appreciated :awesome:

Hopefully it's got enough variety to serve you for a few quests.

Anyway, sorry for the delayed response. Script pack took 2 weeks instead of 2 days to sort and finalize, and I've done a fair bit more work on RC2, so hopefully that can be up later this week.

Speaking of which! Preview of new feature:

True-color shadow transparency!

We all know ZC transparency is garbage by default, yet it can be manipulated to some degree of accuracy. That degree depends on how many blank color swatches you have in your main palettes, level palettes, and sprite palettes. In theory, ZC processes transparency by calculating the true-color combination of the original color and the overlaid color, then rendering the closest available color in the 8-bit palette, meaning that if you manually feed it the correct colors, it should render transparency accurately. Unfortunately, ZC's initial calculations aren't always very precise, and it generates some incredibly off color choices when processing similar and low-contrast colors. Fortunately, that's not a problem with classic's distinct and high-contrast colors, and because no palette uses more than half its available swatches, every single color can be manually accounted for.

Below are in-game shots of 6 different screens. The first column shows the screen with no transparency, the second column adds transparency overlays but uses the default classic palettes, and the third column uses my new expanded palettes for those same overlays:
In-game transparency comparisons
Some changes are blatant, others are subtle, but take a minute to note the full differences.

I suppose at this point it would be a waste to not support atmospheric torch lighting in dungeons, so if anybody knows any good torch and pulsing-shadow-circle tiles, let me know so I can include them in RC2.

(And if you're wondering how the enemies are the same in every screen, they're FFCs using those sprites. Live enemies render just as well.)

Are all of the default classic assrts intact, and in their original positions?

If so, then I may go in and replace the old classic tileset with this one in the Classic Module.

#8 Dimentio

Dimentio

Beware false Gollabs, who inwardly are Moral Conflicts

• Members

Posted 27 November 2018 - 02:33 PM

I know you did some trimming, but is there any way you could include the 2nd tier lower walls in some form for the 2.53/2.50.2 version? Like, as a png file, or as unmapped tiles, or even just as combos but very out of the way? Stuff like that is what excites me the most about this set, and it's disappointing to hear they were cut (presumably because of the alias issue; especially since I'm not big on alias's anyways and prefer lacing tiles manually cause I'm weird).

#9 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:21 PM

I've done a fair bit more work on RC2, so hopefully that can be up later this week.

...and then obnoxious neighbors force a conflict that invokes my homeowners association as an intermediary and my mom ends up in the hospital (incidents unrelated).

Nevertheless, I've made slow but steady progress:

Download v1.0 RC2 here.

At this point, I'd say the set is 98% complete.

I'm going to do extensive testing over the next few weeks to find any remaining glitches or oversights I may have made, and implement any final tweaks I can come up with. Still, I'm confident enough in the status of RC2 to say that anybody who's interested in making a quest using the set, can download it and get started, and if there's any further updates and optimizations that end up in the final release that you would have wanted in your quest, you can send me your quest and I'll port them over myself.

What's new in RC2:

General:

· 20 more sample screens showing the set's full design capacity more accurately. All screens are "functional," and some dungeon screens even have secrets, so press "x" and "s" to preview and reveal them.
· 50% shadow support in palettes. As seen in my previous post, transparent shadows now render in true color due to expanded palettes that include accurate shadow calculations for all colors in the game.
· Torches & layerable light bubbles. Taking further advantage of 50% shadow support, torch kits for overworlds and dungeons are available and come with light bubbles that can be contoured to any kind of lighting arrangement.
· Overworld/dungeon combo palettes. Use CSets 2 and 3 for regular overworld tiles and CSet 4 for dungeon tiles to create hybrid screens.
· Subscreens completed. The active subscreen now accounts for all items, and comes in "Overworld" and "Dungeon" options (the only difference being Link's position doesn't display in the "Overworld" large map, which prevents spillover into the item selection box), while the passive subscreen now has 6 options accounting for what kind of level keys you use and whether or not you use the "True Arrows" quest rule.
· Link's color now displays on the active subscreen's large map. The default set had Link's color set to CSet 0's transparent swatch, rendering his position invisible inside dungeons.
· Custom dungeon minimap support. I've always appreciated custom minimaps and enjoyed making them myself, so I added a map coloring system to each level's CSet 9 and provided minimap templates and examples on tile page 69. I personally draw the maps using the darkest level color for the walls and the mid level color for the background, then I use yellow for locked doors, red for boss-locked doors, white for entry markings, and possibly black for bombable walls (and obviously orange for the map itself). After that, I like to override the default compass color with the lightest level color. But of course, you can come up with your own way of using the colors, and there's also 4 blank swatches at the end of CSet 9 to add your own colors for your own purposes (perhaps to mark keys, special treasures, minibosses, or even warp systems).
· Gray-colored CSet9 for dungeon item cellar/passageway palettes. For correct display of custom dungeon minimaps while in these rooms.
· Crumbling Z2 sideview bridges now functional. With sound. Boop.
Tiles/Combos:

· Wall ladders on diagonal corners. Only needed in 1st-tier-down ladders.
· Dungeon hammer pegs.
· Alternate cycling mirror combos.
· Brick ceiling variant of upward dungeon staircases.
· 1st-tier-down dungeon floors consistently shaded.
· Dungeon nature section completed.
· Dungeon water. Includes relational configurations.
· Advanced dungeon carving lower level properly configured.
· 5th combo "addendum" section: "Type: (None)" lockblock duplicates for use with FFC multi-lockblock script.
· Further optimization of tile/combo arrangements.
· A number of tile color tweaks.

Layering:

· Layerable overworld ground + field expanded detail.
· Layerable small-tree tops. Leaves and stumps can be colored separately, just like large trees.
· Layerable upward-staircase warps. Use with FFCs in dungeons to place stairs over different floor types, or off the grid.
· Layer 0 support. Layerable options are provided for combo types that only function on layer 0, i.e. grass + switches, with the intent of supporting "layer 2/3 is background" screen flags.

Aliases:

· Half-tile-off horizontal walls.
· Layerable dungeon diagonal walls.
· Layerable Triforce entry flats.

Scripts:

· Script pack completed, commented, credited, and linked. The RC2 ZIP now includes script files configured specifically for the set. Open the flmecbt.z file to see notes and guidelines on setting up each script. These are meant to be short-and-to-the-point infos, not lengthy explanations. I suppose my writing style may not be for everybody, but it's at least consistent across the file.
· Dialogue bubble for NPC script. Now displays when you approach a talkable NPC using "NPC_Simple" script.
· Separate sprite for falling in scripted lava. This feature isn't enabled by default, but if you want to modify the lava combos to use Moosh's pit script, this functionality is now available.

Items:

· [NEW] Boots 2: Steel-plated Boots allow Link to walk over spikes/damage combos at no magic cost.
· [NEW] Bow 1 & Arrow 1 Bundle: Gives both Normal Bow and Wooden Arrow when picked up. Increases arrow count to 10 (but not above).
· [NEW] Bow 2 & Arrow 1 Bundle: Gives both Fast Bow and Wooden Arrow when picked up. Increases arrow count to 10 (but not above).
· [MOD] Cane Of Byrna 1: 1/4 magic drain rate, has 1 beam that damages enemies/blocks projectiles. (Database entry.)
· [NEW] Cane Of Byrna 2: 1/2 magic drain rate, has 2 beams that damage enemies/block projectiles, makes Link invincible.
· [MOD] Hammer 1: For those who think the Hammer doing Magic Sword damage is overkill, this Hammer now does half damage (i.e. White Sword).
· [NEW] Hammer 2: For those who think the Hammer doing Magic Sword damage is great, here you go.
· [MOD] Hookshot 1: "Short" Hookshot is actually short (5 tile reach).
· [MOD] Key: Level-specific keys and normal keys had their palettes swapped.
· [NEW] Key (Level-Specific For Another Level): Allows you to give a level-specific key for one level inside another level. You'll need a new copy of this item for every key with a different specific level assignment. (Database entry.)
· [NEW] Map & Compass Bundle: Gives both Map and Compass when picked up.
· [NEW] Magic Book 0 (Dummy): Provided in Init Data to keep Wand melee and magic damage separate. No fire magic. Doesn't show in inventory.
· [NEW] Magic Book 2: Wand magic does triple damage.
· [MOD] Magic Ring 4: Fixed to always display full magic meter.
· [NEW] Potion 3 (Purple): 3-use potion. Cannot be added up to by combining lower-level potions; must be picked up by itself.
· [NEW] Resistance Ring 1, 2, 3: Prevents death from overkill at chances of 50% (1), 75% (2), or 100% (3), so if you're down to 2 hearts and take more than 2 hearts of damage, you'll be left with half a heart instead of dead. (Database entry.)
· [MOD] Ring 3 (Gold): For those who think the Gold Ring's damage divisor of 8 is too high, this Ring now has a divisor of 6.
· [NEW] Ring 4 (Black): For those who think a damage divisor of 8 is great, here you go.
· [MOD] Shield 2 (Magic): Block flags changed from 191 to 255 - now blocks fire attacks. (It already blocked fire 2 attacks, so now its fire blocking is consistent, though leniently so.)
· [NEW] Shield 4 (Ultimate): Like Mirror Shield, but blocks and reflects boss fireballs. (Somebody had a problem with Patra L3? :superevil: )
· [MOD] Stone Of Agony: Functions as intended in ZC 2.53. Recolored orange.
· [NEW] Stone Of Gravity: Keeps Link from getting knocked around when taking damage. Uses original silver Stone Of Agony graphic.
· [NEW] Wand 2: Wand melee does triple damage.
· [MOD] Whimsical Ring 1: Now has "whimsy sound" to indicate when its 1-in-15 instakill chance has activated (Z2 monster death sound).
· [NEW] Whimsical Ring 2: 1-in-7 instakill chance.

Enemies:

· [MOD] Sprites Restored: Digdogger (3 Kids), Octorok L1 & L2 (Fast), Octorok L3 & L4, Rope L2, and Traps (Horizontal/Vertical constant) now use their original Z1 sprites.
---
· [MOD] Boulder: Z3 sprites replaced with upscaled Z1 rock.
· [NEW] Darknut L4: Similar strength to splitting Darknut, but its steel plated armor blocks your Hammers.
· [MOD] Dodongo: Never returns after death.
· [MOD] Gleeok (Normal & Fire): Can be hurt by Silver or Gold Arrows. Fight me.
· [MOD] Gel L2: Fire defense now "1/2 Damage" (was "None").
· [MOD] Leever L3: Step Speed now 200 (was 300).
· [NEW] Like Like (Magic): Eats magic rather than shields.
· [MOD] Octorok L3, L4 & L5 (Slow & Fast): Speed reduced by 1/8.
· [MOD] Octorok L3: Fire defense now "1/2 Damage" (was "None").
· [MOD] Octorok L4: HP now 16 (was 20), Damage/W.Damage now 8 (was 12).
· [MOD] Octorok L5: HP now 24 (was 40), Damage now 16 (was 20), W.Damage now 24 (was 40).
· [MOD] Patra L1, L2 & L3: Reflected fireball defense now "1/4 Damage" (was "Ignore") to account for Ultimate Shield.
· [NEW] Patra L2 & L3: Now have "oval" eye movement options instead of only "big circle."
· [MOD] Stalfos L3: Does spin animation on attack.
· [MOD] Wizzrobe (Mirror): HP now 64 (was 192), Damage/W.Damage now 16 (was 32).
· [MOD] Zol L2: Fire defense now "1/2 Damage" (was "None").
---
· [NEW] Fire Enemies: To go along with ZC's Octorok L3, Wizzrobe (Fire), Zol/Gel L2, and Gleeok (Fire), there are now L1 fire attack variations of Darknuts, Lynels, Peahats, Gohmas, and Patras, each with "1/2 Damage" fire defense where applicable.

Misc:

· Solid black text frame backgrounds. Good for displaying strings over detailed screens. (Tile page 77, row 2.)
· More NPCs / monster options.
· Reset shop index.

...and that ends this very bold post. The expo's closing later today, and I'm hoping for a final release within 3-4 weeks, so if anybody's thinking of using this and/or wants to offer any last thoughts, please send me a PM here or get in touch with me on PureZC's official Discord server. Thanks again to everybody who's shown interest and offered feedback!

(Dimentio/ZoriaRPG, sorry I ran out of time, I'll get back to you on Discord.)
  • Anthus, Joelmacool, SkyLizardGirl and 1 other like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users