Photo

Original Assets for Gameboy-Style Zelda-like

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Maloney

Maloney

• Members

Posted 01 December 2019 - 07:12 PM

I'm working on a Zelda-like set of assets with a Gameboy aesthetic. It's all original art from a few different artists, but I'm not a super fan of the dungeon tileset we've made. I got it off of OpenGameArt, and it was under CC-BY, so I thought it would be okay to use initially, but I feel like it's a bit weird to use the work of an artist who has nothing to do with the project. For this reason, I was hoping that maybe one of you were or knew artists who would be willing to donate some of their work to the asset pack.

In short, the Solarus Classic Pack is a pack of assets for use in Solarus which I'll also be porting over to Zelda Classic when it is finished. It's CC-BY, meaning that anyone can use it freely for game-making with attribution. It's a complete pack of original sounds, graphics, scripts, and other assets, so anyone can make a Zelda-like game easily without having to worry about the complications that come with a fan-game. Here's the Develteam Page where you can see some examples of the asset pack in use in the Solarus engine, and I'll be updating that page with up-to-date versions of assets within the next few minutes of writing this post.

As for the assets themselves, they follow Gameboy and Gameboy Colour requirements: 4 colours, 8x8 sprites, and 160x140 resolution. All sounds and music are made in a Gameboy sound emulator. Essentially, the asset pack contains nothing that a Gameboy couldn't do. Recolouring the sprites and tilesets to fit the Gameboy Colour will be left to the end user, unless time permits me to make a coloured version of the pack myself.

So if you have tiles that you'd be willing to share with the world, or know somebody who does, please leave them in this thread or message them to me privately.

Thank you.

#2 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 09 December 2019 - 11:15 PM

"Dungeon tiles" is a little nebulous. For example, Zelda 1's just has walls, blocks, stairs, and doors, LTTP's has grates, switch balls, shallow water, big staircases, boss doors... Both of those are extremely different in both setup, what they contain, and what kind of levels can be made with them but they both fall under "dungeon tileset", so that makes me kind of unsure what you want. I'd recommend posting a dungeon tileset with the breadth of tiles and objects you want, even if copyrighted, so someone can draw over it to make it uncopyrighted. I'd be happy to take a crack at it if you do so.

#3 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 14 December 2019 - 01:43 AM

You should speak to Shane and Aevin.

• Jared likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users