Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:53 PM

So far, 12 rules and no level 3. Anyone know where the hookshot is? :D

#17 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:09 PM

So far, 12 rules and no level 3. Anyone know where the hookshot is? :D

It's in the center of the graveyard-looking area. ;)

Edited by Avataro, 17 April 2014 - 04:09 PM.

#18 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:13 PM

I'm so stupid :P Thanks man! (I hate this quest by the way :lol: ) Nah, jk

• Avaro likes this

#19 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:46 AM

First rule I got was that I'm not allowed to attack Peahats (then potion ban). Avataro you are so mean. :c

But regardless, you usage of classic is amazing! Especially the dungeons.

This game must no like me. I got so many hard rules. :C

Edited by Charizard, 18 April 2014 - 02:10 AM.

#20 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:38 AM

I think this concept's most infuriating aspect is that the longer you play, the harder it gets, so if you're already having trouble it's not going to ever get better.

Here are a few ideas that I think would make it nicer for the player. I understand they'd demand a fairly big rewrite, but maybe you can keep them in mind if you ever make a sequel:

- From time to time, allow the player to remove a rule of their choice. This could be done by finding secret rooms, or when you beat a level, or maybe something you can pay for in a shop.

- Instead of having all the rules be permanent, you could make it so that, past a certain point, every time a new rule is added, an old one is removed.

• Shane, Avaro, RetraRoyale and 1 other like this

#21 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:41 AM

Yeah, instead of building up rules. Maybe have one (or two/three) rules which change upon the time limit. Otherwise, it's a creative concept at best.

#22 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:58 AM

I think this concept's most infuriating aspect is that the longer you play, the harder it gets, so if you're already having trouble it's not going to ever get better.

Here are a few ideas that I think would make it nicer for the player. I understand they'd demand a fairly big rewrite, but maybe you can keep them in mind if you ever make a sequel:

- From time to time, allow the player to remove a rule of their choice. This could be done by finding secret rooms, or when you beat a level, or maybe something you can pay for in a shop.

- Instead of having all the rules be permanent, you could make it so that, past a certain point, every time a new rule is added, an old one is removed.

Yes, these are perfect ideas! It definetly would have benefit the game greatly. I wish I would have thought about the consequences when I made up the rules system, but now I won't change it anymore.

In any case, thanks for playing guys and good luck! :0

#23 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:17 AM

This quest is like The Temple of Cole: The Quest. Jk

Avataro enjoys hurting Link from the inside out. You disturbing individual! Jk

This quest is something. I enjoyed it, but that's probably because I wouldn't let the game get to the point where it would become a total headache.

I feel this is a "rage quit until you make it" kinda quest. Because I could see myself having to play this a few times before I really consider beating it.

Anyways, I don't think Avataro was intending on making this quest the next big thing. It was only a 3 week project (please lets not debate 2 week contest projects). Either way, I just feel he added this quest just to add something funny, not something to be taken seriously.

Reeeelaaaaaxxx and have a strawberry. :)

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 18 April 2014 - 10:22 AM.

• Avaro and Demonlink like this

#24 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:02 PM

If you don't include the rule:

"all dmap titles/npcs/sfxs say hi eddy" (suggested by Charizard)

I will kill myself. Jk, but I would love to see that as an easter egg which lasts for like 10 seconds XD

Edited by EddyTheOliveira, 18 April 2014 - 12:02 PM.

• Shane and Avaro like this

#25 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:17 PM

Yeah, I don't like that unstable equilibrium at all. So basically, if you know the game inside and out, it's easy. If you don't? You're screwed! Hahahaha! It's poor design IMO to make a game that pretty much REQUIRES advanced knowledge and punish you for taking too long or whatever. Sadly, a lot of SHMUPs are like that. If you no miss clear the game, you're overpowered the whole time. If you die once, might as well reset the game because your chances of recovering from a death are approximately 42,176 to 1.

DISCLAIMER: I did not play the quest. I'm just basing my thoughts off what I've seen posted here. I'm not here to bash the quest. I like the rule concept but the execution isn't the best IMO.

Edited by RedmageAdam, 18 April 2014 - 12:21 PM.

• Evan20000 likes this

#26 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:10 PM

Yeah, I don't like that unstable equilibrium at all. So basically, if you know the game inside and out, it's easy. If you don't? You're screwed! Hahahaha! It's poor design IMO to make a game that pretty much REQUIRES advanced knowledge and punish you for taking too long or whatever. Sadly, a lot of SHMUPs are like that. If you no miss clear the game, you're overpowered the whole time. If you die once, might as well reset the game because your chances of recovering from a death are approximately 42,176 to 1.

DISCLAIMER: I did not play the quest. I'm just basing my thoughts off what I've seen posted here. I'm not here to bash the quest. I like the rule concept but the execution isn't the best IMO.

Just saying, but the quest is still playable. Of course it's easier if you know it inside out, but what game isn't? :)
  • Shane likes this

#27 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:16 PM

I think he means that the game punishes you for being slow, and the punishments themselves slow you down further.

#28 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:23 PM

If you were to go back and change something, I'd change the way new rules are added. Rather than add them as time goes on, add new rules as you actually progress through the quest. Oh, you made it half way through this dungeon? New rule time. Something like that, so you're not punished for being slow. I'd also make it so that the rules aren't completely random. Maybe have the first few rules pick from a pool of 10 easy rules, then the new few after that pick from a pool of 10 slightly tougher rules, etc., so that the difficulty curve doesn't go all out of whack if you get hard rules right at the start followed by a bunch of easy rules.

#29 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:25 PM

Tricky situation: At the final boss, do I kill her or do I respect the rule "You shall not kill me" if I also got the "No staying in the same room for 2 minutes"?

Edit: Forget it :P (By the way Avataro, it's "Marry" not "mary" XD )

Edited by Demonlink, 18 April 2014 - 04:29 PM.

#30 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:37 PM

If you were to go back and change something, I'd change the way new rules are added. Rather than add them as time goes on, add new rules as you actually progress through the quest. Oh, you made it half way through this dungeon? New rule time. Something like that, so you're not punished for being slow. I'd also make it so that the rules aren't completely random. Maybe have the first few rules pick from a pool of 10 easy rules, then the new few after that pick from a pool of 10 slightly tougher rules, etc., so that the difficulty curve doesn't go all out of whack if you get hard rules right at the start followed by a bunch of easy rules.

These all are really good ideas, honestly. I think I can add that idea to not make the rules totally random and have a pool for an actual difficulty curve, but I won't change the time thing anymore. :)
  • anikom15 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users