Is computer clean-up a scam industry?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

For years, every time I feel like I got a grasp at optimizing computer performance. I always get contradicting information.

For quite a long time, when virus scanners and disk cleaners seemed to fail, the hype started the entire registry cleaner fad.

Even today people still say "Ya, it's definitely your registry"

Today now the problem seems worse than ever that computers always slow down, and the moderately technical folk can only create quick fixes, and the people who are not technical just contact the repair guy.

I am starting to wonder if computers just age? Or are computers just designed to fail?

Whenever I research this issue, I am lead to sites saying:

- Computers performance last the life of the computer.
- Properly maintained computers will perform great for years.
- Buy (insert program name here) to keep your computer at optimal performance.

That's what I don't like, people who claim to be experts, encouraging hope at a price. Whenever a price tag gets added to anything, it only tells me THAT was the INTENTION.

What do you guys think?

#2 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

The whole of the computer software industry is a scam. Basically, most software is designed to bog down your computer, so you have to buy new and better hardware. Especially system updates, they often include a whole crapload of unnecessary bloat, and often some forms of spyware, too, since Microsoft likes to spy on their customers. Now, that being said, yes, there ARE ways you can clean up the computer and increase performance, but it's probably better to actually pay someone who knows what to do, instead of using a program. I don't trust automated programs that say they'll clean and optimize your computer, because doing it WELL is a complicated and involved process. But eventually, you'll have to do it again, anyways.

#3 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

Well, that's exactly why I don't touch clean up tools outside of the basic ones that are included in program tools section in my windows.

As for virus and spyware and that crap. I use Avast, Malwarebytes, Super Antispyware, and Spyware Blaster.

Because my Antispyware programs are free, I keep updating them and scanning regularly because the ability to have this done automatically is in the full version. Another "pay me" thing, but essentially they're just charging people who are too lazy to do this shit themselves. (How hard is it to turn a program on yourself?).

I always have a clean desktop. Most programs I download remain hidden, and my favourite ones are pinned on the bottom (7 at most). I often keep looking at my start up list and programs and features for unwanted programs, and defragment often.

This in my opinion should be sufficient enough.

I don't trust registry cleaners, and they say the facts are that you shouldn't even need to ever touch the registry. But I don't know anymore. I mean, to keep a computer at optimal performance, does it actually require constant supervision of the most delicate of code??

#4 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:34 PM

http://www.purezc.ne...showtopic=41221

Please refer to Sean's thread here about keeping your PC clean... I use a few of these tools at work and home and things have been smooth.

#5 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:36 PM

I am a self-employed computer repair serviceman (made a home business out of it (it's not amazingly successful or anything, but it pays the bills)), and I remove viruses and clean up computers all the time.  My clients have always told me that they can feel the difference in speed.

Registry cleaners aren't a bad thing at all, its people that try to manually do it that screw themselves.  CCleaner is a great registry cleaner that only deletes bad redirect data, broken shortcuts, and other unneeded data.  I use it all the time.  It is a very useful tool.

I usually use Combofix, with MSE/Malwarebytes and it's been doing well for me so far. 

Coupled with the fact I only charge $20 an hour, instead of the exhorbant amounts I typically see in the industry ($60-100 an hour), I'd say I do my best to make it completely scamless.

• ShadowTiger and Anthus like this

#6 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:39 PM

Magi: I ain't really looking for advice to keep a pc clean. I am certain what I have is sufficient, and if not I'll steadily learn more as I go (which prolly will lead me to that guide eventually anyways).

Tpg: I'm glad to hear that registry clearners are not as bad as I fear. But are they useful is what I wonder? Are they worth repairing in the long run? What I hear is that cleaning the registry has barely any noticeable improvements, an they were never meant to be cleaned in the first place.

So ya, this is a more of a discussion thread than a "help me" thread. I wanna crack down on the truths of what these programs are actually doing, and how much of this industry actually is a scam.

#7 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:19 PM

Like I said, they remove old data for programs that aren't used anymore.  Here's a quote that pertains to this issue.

Spoiler

Source: http://pcsupport.abo...cleaner-faq.htm

The issue with registry cleaners, is that they're marketed to people that think that registry cleaning should be a routine task.  It's more like deletion insurance.

Edited by thepsynergist, 23 August 2013 - 06:20 PM.

#8 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:37 PM

And that's exactly what I used to believe Registry Cleaners were used for, and this gets exactly to my point. There are a lot of things on the internet that appear legitimate but they are not. 

Just live driver installers. I usually have just avoided them. Recently I been trying drivermax, but I'm cautious. 

#9 LTTP

LTTP

LTTP

• Members

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:35 PM

Never use driver managers.
Just update them manually when you need to (Primarily video card)

Edited by LTTP, 23 August 2013 - 09:36 PM.

#10 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

I wonder how many consumers bought Macs because they were fooled by this.

#11 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:07 PM

Any time I see these things, It's one of two things:

A: the product is actually a virus or malware of some sort (and this supposed "product" has been advertised on TV before. that's pathetic.)

B: A service that does something anyone could do with the tools on hand. That is, delete junk files and clear a cache. I'm talking about things that anyone computer illiterate enough could just get their cousin or grandson to do for them. 

#12 LTTP

LTTP

LTTP

• Members

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:24 AM

Also I'd like to add that Registry Cleaners are not needed, really windows does a good enough job on its own cleaning it self out.
using tools to clean registry's can cause issues also...

#13 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:46 AM

Hmmm, beginning to doubt about the programs I use to clean my lap up. Usually, I use Tuneup Utilities and CCleaner, every week, like about Friday or Saturday, I clean up my computer and I have been doing this for a year or so. And yeah, no problems so far, (as far as I know :P ). 

But after reading this forum, I am beginning to doubt about my weekly cleaning up. :confused:

#14 LTTP

LTTP

LTTP

• Members

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:11 AM

Hmmm, beginning to doubt about the programs I use to clean my lap up. Usually, I use Tuneup Utilities and CCleaner, every week, like about Friday or Saturday, I clean up my computer and I have been doing this for a year or so. And yeah, no problems so far, (as far as I know :P ). 

But after reading this forum, I am beginning to doubt about my weekly cleaning up. :confused:

Tuneup Utilities is horrible!
Don't use it XD

• Demonlink likes this

#15 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

Thanks man!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users