Photo

Zeldaclassic.com & AGN issues

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 White Elk

White Elk

• Members

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:46 PM

@ Orin XD: I'd be happy to play any version at this point. I've googled around but haven't found any trusted place to get any version of ZC.

I very much support hosting the files elsewhere. For whatever reason, our ability to access the ZC files at AGN has become consistently unreliable. The game should be available! In this latest malware instance, it has been unavailable for weeks. I find no word as to when or if it will become available again.

It would seem natural to me that PureZC hosts the files. But then I understand that these things cost money and PureZC must already shell out a pretty penny just to support these active forums. But for the ease of new players, I would suggest that links to ZC downloads be included on the portal page; directly above the Quest, Tilesets, and Music links. When I first learned of ZC I spent some time looking at all the ZC sites I could find. For a number of reasons, PureZC stood out as my absolute best choice for Quests and mod resources. I was also impressed by the forum layout and the overall quality of the community and its moderation. From my limited perspective on all this, it seems right and proper that PureZC should take the lead towards getting Zelda Classic available again.

I suggest ModDB be considered as a possible hosting source. They currently host over 13,000 files and have provided nearly 26 Million downloads. They also host over 3,000 development and mod teams. I've used the site for years now as a way to get Civ4 mods. I've never had, nor heard of anyone having a problem with the site. It is an add supported site, but the ads are very low key and are purposefully unobtrusive. I believe that ModDB has the resources and motivation to properly protect the files they host. Having used their service for years, I have found them to be reliable.

#32 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:36 PM

I'm going to go ahead and make a pinned topic about this subject matter before any new threads open on this. Discussion can continue in here, however no more topics about AGN being hacked should be made again, given just how prone the site is to it.

I realize that I'm jumping the gun here a bit as a local moderator, but it seems tiresome to staff and moderators to address this problem the same way over and over. Might as well make one thread to rule them all, if you get my drift. icon_shrug.gif

EDIT: Done.

#33 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:42 AM

@White Elk: Since Shardstorm is the only site I know to be working, you have to use the 2.5 builds for the moment. Beta 18 is basically the same as the most recent build avaliable. I suggest to download each of the most recent builds for each Operating System (Windows, Mac, etc...), even if youre not going to use them in case Shardstorm falls to the hackers.

I can forsee dark days ahead for ZC if we don't get the devlopment or hosting here or to ZCR quickly; it could be just a matter of time before AGN and everything directley related to it, like Shardstorm, gets taken completley offline :sad:.

#34 White Elk

White Elk

• Members

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:35 AM

Thanks for the tip Orin. I might just have to do that. I'm hesitant to get into another beta experience though. I've recently had alot of buggy game experiences. But somethings better than nothing lol. And when I do get ZC 2.10 again, the first thing I'm gonna do is save it to CD.

Good idea to pin this thread sigtau. But I'd never think to look in the Computer forum. After many days of AGN still not cleaning their files, I came to PureZC figuring this would be the best place to learn what was going on- and perhaps find an alternate download. The first place I looked was in the Announcements forum. Then the General ZC Discussion forum. I'd never think to look here in the off topic forums. I figured ZC info would be in the ZC forums. It might help more people to pin an AGN issues thread in the Announcement or General ZC forums.

#35 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:28 PM

Unfortunately, I am a local moderator with no jurisdiction over those forums. If a global moderator who does have power wishes to move it, however, that would be fine by me.

Otherwise, I've seen several AGN topics in the computer discussion forum pop up in the past few months (just go back a few pages, XMuppetSB posted one of them if I recall correctly), which is why I chose here.

#36 Link1

Link1

Senior

• Members

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:56 AM

BUMP

AGN is no longer being reported as an "attack page" but ZC.com still is (although zeldaclassic.armageddongames.net is fine).

Edited by Link1, 03 May 2011 - 09:25 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users