My Operating System

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#46 Takuya

Takuya

spirit of fire

• Members

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:48 PM

I've been really busy with work but I'll try to see what I can do.

#47 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:55 PM

It's perfectly fine--I'll work on it solo for now... you just feel free to join whenever work lightens up on you. School starts back soon, but that means I'll have to find one project to stick to--Emerald is the one for now.

EDIT: For everyone else, WHO WANTS SCREENSHOTS?

Really, they're not much, but it shows step by step how to boot the kernel. Screenshots were ripped directly from VMware, GIMP helped.

Step 1 - Insert the disk, hit the power button, after a series of clicks, beeps, and whirs, you should see GRUB:
IPB Image

Step 2 - Type in "kernel 200+18" at the prompt. Press Enter and you should see this...
IPB Image

Step 3 - Now type "boot" at the prompt and press Enter...
IPB Image

Step 4 - Enjoy the operating system!
IPB Image

That's all I have for now. I'm working on the interfacing (the "prompt" for the OS--where you type commands, the terminal, etc.)

So, there's my proof-of-progress... And yes, the green text is for the OS's name.

Until next time... ~TMS

Edited by TheMasterSwordsman, 28 July 2008 - 11:13 PM.

#48 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:23 AM

I have an idea. Although I really hated it, I think you could try an interface similar to the OS/400. If you need references, google image search the OS/400. Look around, most of the interfaces look clean and refined.

Most screens looked like this.

The interface was much more forgiving than most text-based environments, but I can understand if you don't want to tackle something like that yet.

Edited by Alestance, 29 July 2008 - 01:25 AM.

#49 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:36 AM

I was thinking of having some kind of menu system to accompany the command line. First, let's get the command line down, then I can try to kill some other programs, and from there, get a beta out and begin working on the interface some more. If you ask me, if we go GUI (which can probably be accessed in familiar ways, such as "win" from the olden days of Windows, or "startx" for those who prefer Linux), then expect a bloat in the features. I also figured out how to export my image into C code using GIMP, so we'll see if I can add a bitmap processor, that can handle data dumped from GIMP.

#50 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 31 July 2008 - 03:36 PM

I've been devising logo ideas for the operating system and I don't know which one to choose! We have logos from you guys to choose from--but I can't be the only one to decide on a logo. Since I'm on vacation right now and have absolutely no access to my dev machine, I thought of something I could do for the OS. If you don't like any of the ones here, you could try making one yourself or request one--GIMP is my friend now. Please remember to pick 2 choices: 1 simple logo, 1 more complex logo, because we need one for the OS to display itself (simple, takes up less space) and 1 more complex logo to be displayed on the upcoming Emerald website!

Here are the choices (all are transparent, best displayed on white backgrounds at their current stage):

SIMPLE

IPB Image
IPB Image

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

COMPLEX

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Remember, the simple logos will be used on the software itself, and the complex logos will be used on the Emerald website! I'm waiting on your opinions.

Edited by TheMasterSwordsman, 31 July 2008 - 10:05 PM.

#51 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 31 July 2008 - 04:53 PM

I like Simple One and Complex 2

#52 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:59 PM

I can probably help with this....but perhaps you could do an alternate cross-platform release in java? Just so you can spread the love to mac users? Now there's something I could help with @o@

Also, perhaps a cleaned up version of this?

IPB Image

Fuzzy because it's a jpg and rough because I drew it up in MS paint. But you get the gist.

Edited by Powerbracelet, 31 July 2008 - 06:10 PM.

#53 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:04 PM

It's an operating system, there's no such thing as a cross release unless you're porting it to different hardware. Besides, though it's possible to write an operating system in Java, it would be extremely difficult--which is why I'm sticking to C.

Anyway, here's your cleaned up logo, using the same jewel from Complex #1...

This one is classified as a COMPLEX logo.

IPB Image

#54 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:00 AM

Alright, new milestone. I over-organized the code and separated kernel.c into many files, which resulted in code that functions nearly exactly like the original version--only with better internal organization.

This could very easily speed up the coding process... I can now separate each individual element of the OS into its own file and compile it by itself, making it easier to focus on each element and deliver as much care as possible to each one.

For once, I did something right. That is, in the organization category.

But alas, you're probably all getting impatient. You want me to release a first beta with a basic prompt and some demonstrations of the system or do you want me to release the kernel's floppy image as it is?

Releasing the kernel image is easy enough--and I'll teach you how to use a utility named PartCopy for those on Windows how to copy it to a floppy disk. Linux users will be able to use the dd utility. For everyone who is too lazy to test it on real hardware, I'll pack a Windows version of QEMU with the contained floppy image and a batch file to start Emerald up.

In other words, I already have accessibility to everyone already out. I just hope you guys will still try it out. Public beta-testing, remember?

#55 Nate

Nate

Magus

• Members

Posted 04 August 2008 - 06:12 PM

You are certainly young to be doing this, so congrats. Be sure to keep logs of all this, and make sure to stick it on a resume icon_smile.gif

#56 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:25 PM

Dude, kick ass! I can't even program a simple game program, and you're doing an OS. I've gotta hand it to you. Great work! icon_wink.gif

#57 TetriTek

TetriTek

Wizard

• Members

Posted 06 August 2008 - 06:53 PM

I like the first simple one, and the second complex one as well.

#58 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 13 August 2008 - 11:12 AM

Is it possible to run Emerald live?

BTW I like simple 2 and complex 2.

Do you ever think you'll have a heavy version of the os, like a 5 MB install? (It could be called Emerald 24k) Not that it would really matter, since you plan on supporing dual-boot, but you might need the extra space for the Windows app layer, seeing how it's Windows.

And will it be open source at any point?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users